Abscess

Lennoncham

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I’m fairly certain Lennon has an abscess in his mouth. I’m taking him to the vet on Saturday to get it checked out.

quick recap: Lennon had a growth removed from his mouth last October. That part went perfect but During the surgery he bit down very hard on the thing they used to hold his mouth open and he broke his jaw. Since he was already in surgery the vet was able to put a wire in right away to hold it together while it healed. His jaw healed up perfectly and he got the wire removed in January.

Growth that was removed
28487E19-F5D0-49FD-92C3-0842CE70FC1F.jpeg

wire where he broke his jaw.

433BA78D-72CD-4DB4-8F7D-1C108401B0D5.jpeg

he now seems to have developed an abscess where he broke his jaw. I have been trying to clean it up with a q-tip and been putting Manuka honey on it the past couple days.

D2A0D9C2-A93E-46F5-8EE2-FA7E5B889C82.jpeg

3B6A3558-368E-467A-9F8E-B5C5B2C81F3A.jpeg
E3AC07CD-E9D1-45D6-9479-0F1F2B9CB4E7.jpeg

34C70AAB-94ED-46CF-80C6-C284C7BF0524.jpeg

Assuming the first photo was the lump that was removed that resulted in his jaw being broken and the abcess/infection is the swelling on the bottom jaw....I would definitely have a vet look at it. Usuallunit will need to be cleaned out. Their pus is like cottage cheese...so antibiotics won't usually penetrate it and clear it up. I always get a culture and sensitivity test done so the meds chosen can be the one that works best on the bacteria involved (which is usually pseudomonas).

Hope that all goes well with this!

There is always hope they can just lance it and be in an out. Or its a calcified clot and will wear down over time.

ya I’m hopping they can do it when I bring him in sat so I don’t have to fight traffic during the week. I have sent my vet pictures so they have an idea what they are dealing with before I bring him in.

Assuming the first photo was the lump that was removed that resulted in his jaw being broken and the abcess/infection is the swelling on the bottom jaw....I would definitely have a vet look at it. Usuallunit will need to be cleaned out. Their pus is like cottage cheese...so antibiotics won't usually penetrate it and clear it up. I always get a culture and sensitivity test done so the meds chosen can be the one that works best on the bacteria involved (which is usually pseudomonas).

Hope that all goes well with this!

ya the first pic is the growth that was removed and the “abscess” is the swollen area on the bottom jaw. I’m going to the vet Saturday so hopefully they can clean it out then.

I’m not really expecting the Manuka honey to do much just more of a just in case kinda thing. But he just licks it off anyways lol.

Yay! Not an abscess!

I’m just waiting for Lennon to get out of the vet. Just talked to the vet and it’s not an abscess it’s just a area of hyper calcification around where he broke his jaw.

he cleaned out the inside area where food and stuff is gathering. I will have to clean it out from time to time to keep it clean.

he made a small incision in the skin to see if he could drain it but there was nothing to drain just bone.

Back
Top Bottom