About having lights at night...

CodyJ108

So I already know that a chameleon needs a 12 hour cycle with lights on, lights off. Total darkness. I just had a few thoughts regarding this, since I'm planning on getting a chameleon very soon.

The first thought I had was about the light coming from my computer monitor. I can't have the chameleon enclosure anywhere outside of my room, and I'm a bit of a night owl, typically on my computer. I can turn off any other lights in my room when the time comes, no problem. But my computer desk is on the opposite side of the room from the enclosure space (I don't have the enclosure yet, but I already have a space picked out). A rough measurement between the monitor and the enclosure space would be about 10 feet. Will this cause problems for a chameleon trying to sleep?
I also realized that I may need a light some early mornings for when I need to go to work (sometimes as early as 4:30am). I would like some light so I can actually get ready for work without stubbing my toes, but obviously the ceiling light is out of the question. Would a dim light lamp be an issue for a sleeping chameleon? I had an idea to buy some sort of black pull-down blind for the front of the cage, to block out light as much as possible. Considering my desktop and bed are on the opposite side of the room from the enclosure space, having a blind on just the front should be adequate, and that way the cage can still get the ventilation it needs through the sides. I just wanted to know what everyone else's thoughts are on this topic, and some workarounds you all came up with!

"if you can see yourself in a mirror, its too bright". My crew does not have a problem with big windows and full moons. Nor night lights bright enough that i can navigate without killing myself.

My lights are 7-7, and im still doing stuff and have room lights on till 9:30 at least. They still goto the sleeping stick around 4pm, and down wonder around afterwards.

I had an idea to buy some sort of black pull-down blind for the front of the cage, to block out light as much as possible.
(y) (y) I think you've got it right there, and many times (e.g. if it's just the monitor) you may not even need that.

The item you're looking for is blackout fabric. It comes in different colors & weights (not all are foam-backed). You can get it locally at places like Joann Fabric & Craft stores, or online.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bla...XCVs0KHf4YBvQQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1024&bih=636

You can also get pre-made blackout curtains/drapes, or bird cage covers; IDK about sizes. ;)

Back
Top Bottom