A sad sight to behold at the local reptile show today

SmithSe

Established Member
I know a variant of this thread has been posted on this forum more times than any of us can count, but I’m going to add one more post to that list today.

The local monthly reptile show I attend in dinky little SW MI is typically pretty small, and I attend only to peruse and buy feeders. Fortunately, chameleons rarely surface at the show, and the few times they were for sale in the past, they were veileds in decent condition. Yesterday was a different story, however. A new vender I had never seen before had three Rubbermaid tubs on their table, and the closest bin to me had a meller’s chameleon perched on the side of it.

MSnoIdb.jpg

I was pleased with its condition until I actually peered into the bins and realized each one was filled with chameleons. One with WC meller’s, one with veileds, and the last with WC flapnecks. There were no sturdy branches in any of the bins, just a bunch of fake leaves haphazardly thrown in. Notice in the pic below how emaciated the chameleon on the right is.

zWnguX4.jpg

Their little eyes peering up at me as to say "halp me!" absolutely killed me, but I knew there was nothing I could do for these animals in the way of purchasing a couple that wouldn’t promote the vender to continue selling them and subjecting them to these conditions. I moved on to a few more tables only to find a couple of panthers housed together in a 12x12” glass terrarium. It was a young adult female with what looked like a 3-4 month old male blue bar Ambilobe. Everyone was commenting on how beautiful his colors were, completely unaware he was flashing stress colors living in such cramped conditions with another chameleon. These living circumstances looked permanent by the amount of feces caked to the cage floor. The vender informed me he rarely deals with chameleons, and was just trying to get back what he paid for him. This little guy was so beautiful and I wanted to give him a fighting chance, so I talked the vender down to $200 from $250 after pointing out his nipped tail (not a steal by any means, but at least the female can have that enclosure to herself now) . He really is a beaut, though:

XV1isSz.jpg

About 2 mins after I got him into my car, his stress colors subsided and he started closing one eye.

RDZI5a2.jpg

That’s when I realized I’ve got some work ahead of me. He was able to open his eye long enough to take about 8 crickets from my hand as soon as I introduced him into his new enclosure (the guy was famished!), so that’s encouraging. I’ve already got a vet appointment lined up for next week, but since I’m focusing more on parsonii, I’m planning on adopting him out if his recovery goes smoothly over the next couple months! I also have another male Ambilobe that’s only a month older that I removed from a bad situation as well, so if anyone is qualified and interested in adopting a sweet male Ambilobe in the near future, please PM me!

I’m sure you already know this but I’m going to say it anyway, any chameleon keeping his eyes closed for any amount of time during the day is a huge red flag. Good move on lining up a vet visit ASAP. Good luck and keep us updated!

@Brodybreaux25 Oh, absolutely. Since he only closes one eye periodically and appears to be cleaning it, I'm unsure if there's debris in it or a deeper underlying issue like hypovitaminosis, but I'm hoping the vet can shed some light on it. Either way, I don't think he's too far gone!

@Brodybreaux25 Oh, absolutely. Since he only closes one eye periodically and appears to be cleaning it, I'm unsure if there's debris in it or a deeper underlying issue like hypovitaminosis, but I'm hoping the vet can shed some light on it. Either way, I don't think he's too far gone!
Agreed, its probably just something in his eye. Given how you found him I seriously doubt he was give the misting sessions he needed to keep them clean. You’ve got this!

I went to the reptile show at West Palm Beach this weekend too, and I saw two cages packed with adult male veileds. There was at least 7-8 in each cage. They were all either with open mouths, hissing, or showing stress colors. I asked her if I could see one of the larger males and when I had him in my hand I was able to have a closer look. He had scars all over his face and body. Also looked like he was having a pretty bad shed. When I mentioned that they shouldn't be kept together she just said the worst thing that'll happen is "that" and pointed at two chameleons that had open mouths and were hissing at each other. I just gave her a blank stare, gave back the chameleon and said maybe she shouldn't be breeding them and walked away. Sadly there's not much that you can say to these people to make them change their minds. As long as they're selling, they'll keep doing things the same way.

Congrats on the new baby though. He's a beauty.

That bin full of Melleri absolutely breaks my heart. So sad to see such beautiful animals treated like this, even if it's only temporary

Its crazy that people continue to do these types of things knowing (Maybe not) that they are sensitive. I am stressed at everything my new little guy does and yet these people just throw a bunch in a tub.

I am considering a flap neck if I do get another one since the care sheet is similar to the veiled I already have but there is no way I will feel good about buying from a situation like this.

This is by no means a shame to the OP and I am happy you saved one and intend to get it checked out. I really hope its healthy and good luck with everything. I was planning to go to the reptile show near me in October so I will keep you guys posted.

Im dealing with eye issues now with my Cham who is treated like a king and it’s very difficult to get to the root cause unless it’s very obvious, I could only imagine for a younger Cham with an unknown history

Back
Top Bottom