2 year old female chameleon

Olivia2174

Hey everyone,
Miss daisy my female chameleon is acting a bit strange. I noticed that she has been falling from the top of her enclosure and the poor thing has a bruise on the side of her from it. I am almost positive she is trying to lay eggs because she’s digging in her large laying bin I have in her enclosure at all times, but she will dig then try to climb up the screen side of her cage. I can tell she’s weak, hence the falling, so I covered her cage up with a towel in case this is the time to lay her first egg clutch. The only thing is she looks fatter, but I don’t feel any eggs on her sides. The poor thing is isn’t eating right now which I consider normal because there will be periods where she will eat and then not eat. She is drinking and when she does eat she gets plenty of crickets dusted in calcium and multivitamins- I know proper husbandry as I have two chameleons and know how to take care of them. They have very large screen cages (about 4 feet tall). It just worries me a bit because I’m not used to this behavior and I don’t want it to be something serious and not do anything about it. Also- I noticed when cleaning out her cage today that she recently passed a super tiny egg clutch. Is this normal? I’m hoping someone has had a similar experience and can help. If she doesn’t get better the veterinarian visit is definitely in her future. Thank you!

Attachments

• D3481F07-A3D9-4D4A-8F0A-EB1DE8809D41.jpeg
    D3481F07-A3D9-4D4A-8F0A-EB1DE8809D41.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 100
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
2 year old female veiled
How long has it been in your care?
About a year and a half
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Almost daily
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Crickets- 5-7
Superworms- 4-6
Hornworms- about 2 every couple of months
Kale, strawberries, blueberries
The feeders get potatoes, carrots, but mainly greens
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I dust her feeders and rotate them with calcium, multivitamins, and calcium without d3 I mainly use calcium powder then every two weeks use calcium without d3
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
She had a dripper, mist 2-3 times everyday for 1-2 minutes. Yes I see her drink- her dripper is always dripping and accessible.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Normal fecal matter, brown and white, good size. Solid yet soft. She has never been tested for parasites not that I’m aware of.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
None
Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Screen- about 4 feet high by 2 feet wide by 2 feet long
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
She has a 60 watt deep dome heat bulb with a Zilla slimline tropical 25 UVB T8 fluorescent fixture. On in the morning (9, 10 AM) and off at night (9,10 PM).

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Her basking spot is about 77-82 degrees. Her floor is about 70-72 degrees. Her night temp is about 71 but it can drop to high 60s sometimes. It depends on when we run the AC, but we are very cautious of the temperatures because of her. She has a humidity and temp gauge up top and at the bottom too.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Humidity is from 60-80% mainly stays in 70s. I have a gauge. And I use a mister often everyday to monitor it.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
I have fake as well as a live pothos and umbrella plant. She hasn’t started to eat the real plants yet which is odd because she will try to eat her fake ones sometimes so any tips on that?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Her cage is near a window. It’s nice to open it as she loves the natural sunlight. When it gets cold we have special blinds that block out drafts. We also have a new house so the windows don’t have any drafts. My room isn’t a high traffic are and it usually quiet. I run the overhead fan sometimes at night but it’s rarely.
Location - Where are you geographically located?
USA, North Carolina.
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Egg laying
Here’s a cage picture- it is an old one and has since been updated with new light fixtures and plants

Attachments

• CD977524-B650-4802-B316-C46B2ED0412E.jpeg
    CD977524-B650-4802-B316-C46B2ED0412E.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom