2 veiled chameleons together

StephanieSays

I recently inherited 2 veiled chameleons, they are about six months old. One male and one female. They are living in the same enclosure and I was wondering if it is ok that they are together. They do not seem to be fighting or stressed...

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated, Thanks :)

I recently inherited 2 veiled chameleons, they are about six months old. One male and one female. They are living in the same enclosure and I was wondering if it is ok that they are together. They do not seem to be fighting or stressed...

Generally, it is not recommended to keep two chameleons together. Although you may not see signs of stress now, most likely you will in the future. If you are able, I would suggest separate enclosures (out of sight of each other). How long have they been together?

they may become a problem as they get older and as they get sexually active. The male will start to dominate the female and may cause her unneeded stress and possibly cause the female to lose weight due to the male dominating the food supply. I hope that helped a bit sorry i dont know more than that but im sure someone else will chime in:eek:

Many people keep babies together for a couple of months, but eventually they have to be separated. At 6 months the female could get inseminated. She will be intimidated by the male and start to hiss and gape at him. Big time stress for them both.

They do not seem to be fighting or stressed...

Are these your first chams? One thing you'll learn is how subtle stress can be. Chams "fight" visually by showing a real spectrum of color change and by using body postures. Even though they don't seem to be bothering each other (to the average human anyway) they are still competing for the best spaces and opportunities to bask, drink, rest, hunt, in their small cage territory. One will eventually dominate the other which can end up costing the subordinate cham health or life. It is safest to separate them.

carlton - about 10 years ago i had a famale veiled chameleon - she wasn't very friendly and did not like to be handled much ( hissing, gaping her mouth, darkening in color.)

Back
Top Bottom