Wanted to get some opinions on my enclosure/husbandry

avionfreak

So, I'm quite an anxious person, and I wanted to make sure I had everything absolutely 100% ready before my chameleon (a male panther) arrives.

The lights up top are a 75W basking bulb, a reptisun T8 5.0 bar, and a 24W LED light (for the plants).

I made sure that the branch right under the basking bulb gets around 85 to 90 degrees.

I used a flower pot with a drainage layer so I don't have to worry about cleaning up water, and so I could plant the plants in the bottom and have my isopods live in the enclosure.

The one thing I'm worried about is hydration....I have a misting system set up that goes on every morning before the lights, at night after the lights are off, and at midnight. I also read that I could place a water cup and the cham might drink from it...

Are there things I could do better, or that I'm flat out doing wrong?

Attachments

• 20240419_194301.jpg
    20240419_194301.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240419_194254.jpg
    20240419_194254.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240412_215829.jpg
    20240412_215829.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240412_215217.jpg
    20240412_215217.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240412_213510.jpg
    20240412_213510.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240412_210206.jpg
    20240412_210206.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 4
I agree with everything that @TheMotherChameleon said above. I would also suggest adding many many more branches and even more plants. You really want a curtain of plants in the front of the enclosure so that your chameleon can have places to hide. The top you want open to bask and get proper UVB. This checklist will help you ensure that you have everything you need for your chameleon. I've also attached a photo of one of my enclosures in case a visual is helpful :)

Attachments

• Chameleon Academy Forest Edge Checklist online.png
    Chameleon Academy Forest Edge Checklist online.png
    967.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9360.jpg
    IMG_9360.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 2
Hello and welcome! @TheMotherChameleon and @elizaann2 are just two of the amazing members on here, and sure to help you!

I agree with both of them, definitely get the light fixed, adding some more plants will make your little fella feel safe and happy. Chameleon academy, https://www.youtube.com/@ChameleonAcademy and Neptune the Chameleon, https://www.youtube.com/@NeptunetheChameleon (And here is the website https://www.neptunethechameleon.com/ have amazing videos and advice! Congratulations in advance on your new cham!

Here is a chart of staple feeders for your guy!

1713587093094.png

And here is a gut-loading chart!
1713587501007.png

I’d take that perlite out of the substrate. The Cham will get curious seeing isopods. And might eat one or go chasing food down there. And It might miss and ingest perlite which also floats to the top of the soil. And will cause impaction. You should also get more leaf litter for the bottom. It’s better to have it covering the soil, so you can keep track of the chams bowel movements.
Also I don’t think you will have luck with that Hoya in there. I’d replace it with a pothos or a philodendron.
And I agree 85-90degrees is a lil too hot and dangerous.

With the T8 and a 5.0 bulb you will not get the UVB depth you need. With the 5.0 it simply does not have the output distance. You would need your branches to literally be 4-5 inches max distance away from this fixture sitting directly on the top of the cage. This is why we normally do not use T8 because the 3 UVI they need starts about 2 inches below the bulb then starts reduces so that by 7 inches down there is virtually no usable UVB.

I would do something else to raise your basking fixture instead of having it on wood. Look at plant hanging hooks that you can attach to the wall behind your cage. Or the ones you hook to the ceiling. You do not want this sitting on wood just for the risk of fire. You want a 60 watt regular incandescent bulb Not a focused basking bulb and your temps would be 80-85 max range. For a young cham you want it more towards 80.

I would have a misting session during the day as well. This gives them the ability to clean their eyes. You would have this go off either morning right after lights come on or in the late afternoon before lights go off.

No cups for drinking. You can not keep them clean enough and it just is not a natural way for them to drink.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the amazing and thorough advice. I'll look into getting the Arcadia UVB lights, adding more cover, and making sure the basking temp is closer to 80
I’d take that perlite out of the substrate. The Cham will get curious seeing isopods. And might eat one or go chasing food down there. And It might miss and ingest perlite which also floats to the top of the soil.

It's actually not perlite, but rather river stones. However - you're right that they could get ingested. I will remove as many as I can.

Also I don’t think you will have luck with that Hoya in there. I’d replace it with a pothos or a philodendron.
Ah, I've been keeping and collecting Hoya for nearly 6 years, so it just felt natural to use one of them for the enclosure haha. I think it was suggested I add more plants anyways, so I'll add a trailing, leafy plant to provide more cover

If you would like to have a full husbandry review you could copy and paste this form and fill it out😁

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Thank you all for the amazing and thorough advice. I'll look into getting the Arcadia UVB lights, adding more cover, and making sure the basking temp is closer to 80

It's actually not perlite, but rather river stones. However - you're right that they could get ingested. I will remove as many as I can.

Ah, I've been keeping and collecting Hoya for nearly 6 years, so it just felt natural to use one of them for the enclosure haha. I think it was suggested I add more plants anyways, so I'll add a trailing, leafy plant to provide more cover
I keep Hoyas in my girls enclosure and they do very well. Though mine aren’t nearly as big and beautiful as yours is. She’s not as excited to eat them, pothos is her absolute favorite, but I love how the Hoyas look. (I just bought two more to put in my newest enclosure too)

I keep Hoyas in my girls enclosure and they do very well. Though mine aren’t nearly as big and beautiful as yours is. She’s not as excited to eat them, pothos is her absolute favorite, but I love how the Hoyas look. (I just bought two more to put in my newest enclosure too)
I'm finding the hoya do very well in our cham enclosures. I think you'll be very happy with yours!

Well… after saying that she doesn’t show much interest in eating her Hoya, I caught her this afternoon trying to slurp it up like a piece of spaghetti. 😂 She’s crazy I tell you.

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpeg
    IMG_0142.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0144.jpeg
    IMG_0144.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom