Curious Chameleon?

NorahJan

My chameleon is very adventurous and it is starting to worry me. He is turning one on april 6th so I got him a new cage that is 5x3x2. I didn't have it secured enough and he slid through the bars and escaped it. I have now covered it in hunting mesh and he hasn't been able to escape since, but he is still constantly exploring the cage even after being in it for a few weeks. He likes to climb up and down the sticks, eat some pothos, explore the bottom plants a little bit, then go back up and bask, then walk around at the top. He has over 10 plants in his cage, as well as 20+ sticks. He has a dropper, fogger for bedtime, and has an automatic misting system set for 45 seconds every morning and night before the lights go on and off. His heat lamp is a phillips agro plant bulb 75w with a basking spot of 83-85°. He has a diet of dusted crickets, dubias, and occasional super worms. Is it possible that he is just a very curious and active guy? or am I doing something wrong/stressing him out?
image.jpg

That’s cage is amazing! From what I understand for male chameleons they often patrol their territory!

Could you share a photo of your little guy?

I’m sure other keepers will chime in as well with advice
Thank you!! Patrolling the territory makes a lot of sense! I offer my hand sometimes to see if he wants to come out but he always hisses at me, so being territorial is definitely a possibility. He is the most beautiful boy ever! I take pictures everyday :)

Attachments

• IMG_9262.jpeg
    IMG_9262.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9117.jpeg
    IMG_9117.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 7
I have a linear T5 5.0 bulb. I had a 10.0 for my past chameleon but it hurt her retinal and I talked to neptune the chameleon from youtube and she suggested the 5.0 instead.
And with the cage you are using for the top how did you block the bars so he could not slip out the top? Are you using anything between the UVB fixture and the cage?

My chameleon is very adventurous and it is starting to worry me. He is turning one on april 6th so I got him a new cage that is 5x3x2. I didn't have it secured enough and he slid through the bars and escaped it. I have now covered it in hunting mesh and he hasn't been able to escape since, but he is still constantly exploring the cage even after being in it for a few weeks. He likes to climb up and down the sticks, eat some pothos, explore the bottom plants a little bit, then go back up and bask, then walk around at the top. He has over 10 plants in his cage, as well as 20+ sticks. He has a dropper, fogger for bedtime, and has an automatic misting system set for 45 seconds every morning and night before the lights go on and off. His heat lamp is a phillips agro plant bulb 75w with a basking spot of 83-85°. He has a diet of dusted crickets, dubias, and occasional super worms. Is it possible that he is just a very curious and active guy? or am I doing something wrong/stressing him out? View attachment 353229
A potential issue I see (without being able to see your lights too clearly), is that your UVB light may not be big enough. It looks like you have it diagonal, but not completely across the enclosure. Regardless of whether it is diagonal or not, you want that UVB to extend the entire length of the enclosure. Maybe it is and I am just not seeing it in the picture. But if it is not, I would definitely recommend getting a new UVB fixture + bulb that extends the entire length of the enclosure.

Or at least another smaller one if both of them can cover the entire enclosure.

Thank you!! Patrolling the territory makes a lot of sense! I offer my hand sometimes to see if he wants to come out but he always hisses at me, so being territorial is definitely a possibility. He is the most beautiful boy ever! I take pictures everyday :)
He’s a doll!!! Sounds like normal male behavior to me. Mine patrols like this daily.

And with the cage you are using for the top how did you block the bars so he could not slip out the top? Are you using anything between the UVB fixture and the cage?
I used hunting mesh on most of it, and have rocks in the corners but am planning on zip tying them tonight after work. I used a sunscreen type mesh I got from lowe's to filter the UVB.

Handsome guy! 🥰 I’ve got to ask about the white bucket in the bottom left. My concern is that he could potentially fall into it and get stuck. If it has water in it, he could drown.

A potential issue I see (without being able to see your lights too clearly), is that your UVB light may not be big enough. It looks like you have it diagonal, but not completely across the enclosure. Regardless of whether it is diagonal or not, you want that UVB to extend the entire length of the enclosure. Maybe it is and I am just not seeing it in the picture. But if it is not, I would definitely recommend getting a new UVB fixture + bulb that extends the entire length of the enclosure.

Or at least another smaller one if both of them can cover the entire enclosure.
Oh thank you!!! This is really helpful. I have a 24inch one right now that I used for his 2x2x4 enclosure but haven't been able to find one that fully fits the new cage. Do they make 40" or bigger fixtures/bulbs?

Handsome guy! 🥰 I’ve got to ask about the white bucket in the bottom left. My concern is that he could potentially fall into it and get stuck. If it has water in it, he could drown.
Hi! I worried about that a lot too at first. I use it to collect the water from his dripper, but I have a screen type gate on the top that I am going to also zip tie to the bucket tonight. I also want to put hunting mesh on it but am worried the water wouldn't go through.. I definitely need to mess with it more to make a more permanent solution, but he can't get through the bars at all.

Oh thank you!!! This is really helpful. I have a 24inch one right now that I used for his 2x2x4 enclosure but haven't been able to find one that fully fits the new cage. Do they make 40" or bigger fixtures/bulbs?
Would this be okay? I feel bad because I would need to wait until my next paycheck to get it, but if that's what he needs I 100% can get it eventually, as long as he would be okay with the one he has until then..

Attachments

• IMG_9298.png
    IMG_9298.png
    153.2 KB · Views: 9
Would this be okay? I feel bad because I would need to wait until my next paycheck to get it, but if that's what he needs I 100% can get it eventually, as long as he would be okay with the one he has until then.
I wonder if you could just get a second smaller one and run it along with the one you already have?

I wonder if you could just get a second smaller one and run it along with the one you already have?
My only worry with that is my timer I use for my lighting only has two slots for plugs.. I found a different 36" one of the same brand that I already use (zoomed) so I think once I get payed I will get that.

I used hunting mesh on most of it, and have rocks in the corners but am planning on zip tying them tonight after work. I used a sunscreen type mesh I got from lowe's to filter the UVB.
Depending on what you used you may be filtering far too much UVB out. Generally when you are doing any sort of modification like you have done you want to use aluminum window screen on top. Or you can use a larger guage panel but then you have to account for more UVB passing through.

With aluminum window screen you will get a 40% reduction in UVB that can pass through. So you would set the fixture right on the screen. With a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 bulb you would then have your closest branches below it 8-9 inches to put the cham in the right UVB level.

The only way to know for sure what your levels are with the material you used in between would be to get a solarmeter 6.5.

Depending on what you are using this could very well be why he is patrolling non stop. If he is not able to get the UVB he needs he is then trying to find a way out to get it.

Depending on what you used you may be filtering far too much UVB out. Generally when you are doing any sort of modification like you have done you want to use aluminum window screen on top. Or you can use a larger guage panel but then you have to account for more UVB passing through.

With aluminum window screen you will get a 40% reduction in UVB that can pass through. So you would set the fixture right on the screen. With a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 bulb you would then have your closest branches below it 8-9 inches to put the cham in the right UVB level.

The only way to know for sure what your levels are with the material you used in between would be to get a solarmeter 6.5.

Depending on what you are using this could very well be why he is patrolling non stop. If he is not able to get the UVB he needs he is then trying to find a way out to get it.
I cannot thank you enough. I think this is exactly my issue... It was marketed as a sun blocking type mesh so I stupidly/ignorantly thought "oh yeah this will filter the uvb perfectly".. I will definitely get a sheet of aluminum window screening and fix the top with that instead. Is there like a specific type of the screening I should look for? or should any aluminum window screen work? I really hope I haven't put him at risk for MBD with this mistake.. i've only had him in this new cage with the UVB like this for less than a month..

I cannot thank you enough. I think this is exactly my issue... It was marketed as a sun blocking type mesh so I stupidly/ignorantly thought "oh yeah this will filter the uvb perfectly".. I will definitely get a sheet of aluminum window screening and fix the top with that instead. Is there like a specific type of the screening I should look for? or should any aluminum window screen work? I really hope I haven't put him at risk for MBD with this mistake.. i've only had him in this new cage with the UVB like this for less than a month..
Yeah if it is marketed to block sun then it will do the same with your fixture. So it is just the regular aluminum window screen. I would mount this on a wood frame so that you do not have sharp edges poking into the cage. Do not get any of the fiber glass window screen it will block the same as what you already have.

And I agree with getting a fixture that spans most of the length of that cage as well.

Yeah if it is marketed to block sun then it will do the same with your fixture. So it is just the regular aluminum window screen. I would mount this on a wood frame so that you do not have sharp edges poking into the cage. Do not get any of the fiber glass window screen it will block the same as what you already have.

And I agree with getting a fixture that spans most of the length of that cage as well.
Hi! Update : Today his new UVB hood and fixture came, along with the aluminum screening!! He already seems way more relaxed and I'm so happy.

Attachments

• IMG_9370.jpeg
    IMG_9370.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9371.jpeg
    IMG_9371.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom