Husbandry Review For Male Panther

Alright my new chameleon came today and he was climbing on the top of the cage so I turned the heat bulb off. (also because I was looking at chamelonacademy.com and it said that the normal chameleon behavior is to bask in the morning and the retreat to the branches in the afternoon. After learning this I have the heat lamp go on at 8 and then off around noon) The current temp is low 70s to very high 60s. That seems low to me but I know that he is young and doesn’t Ned a high heat. Are these too low of temps? Should I turn it back on or do you think this is ok?
So you want your ambient house heat to be in the low 70's for him during the day. Basking temp would be max 80. With this baby being younger I would run your basking for a longer period of time during the day say until 3 or 4pm. This is due to them eating so much everyday that they spend quite a bit of time basking to digest at this age.

Like this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 18
I was looking at the 40 W bulbs and the 60 W ones look like a normal bulb but when you get to the 40 W bulbs they look kind of like a tube. Is that ok to use or do I stick with the actual bulb?

Little ones do this and sometimes we don’t know why. You could have everthing perfect and he may still do that just to drive you nuts. I’d recommend raising your lights up so baby can’t burn himself.

What can I use to prop the light up without it melting something
Its early in the morning so I probably shouldnt be posting yet because I can't think clearly yet but there are actual lamp things you can buy that lift it off the top of the enclosure. I know I have seen some on Amazon and petsmart but I can't think of what they are called. I also used the glass yogurt containers in a pinch once and those worked fine. I also think someone makes lift things for reptile lights on etsy... I feel like none of this was super helpful....

You can go to dollar general or dollar tree or dollar store and buy those cheap wire baskets - then you can set it on it or you can just prop it up on top of one of your "other" fixtures if possible, like I do. It's literally resting on my uvb fixture, at an angle, so that I can get the heat and the uvb aligned to a central location.

To me, it sounds like you already found it then! No need to over think or over spend on this. I'd put that money towards a PID thermostat controller for it 1st if you don't already have one.

Gonna have to raise those fixtures especially if he is staying on the top screen. Some will do this a few weeks and some will do it until they weigh too much for it to be comfortable. If you tell me which UVB you have I can tell you the distances you need.

Back
Top Bottom