Chameleon Husbandry Review

Mitcchar

Established Member
So I had a Veiled chameleon about a year ago that I got from PetSmart, and they told me it was a boy. Fast forward about six months and it started to become very dark because it was actually a female. I didn’t know this so even after I put in a laying bin, it didn’t lay all of its eggs and passed away. I’m thinking of getting a new chameleon and I was wondering if you guys could review my husbandry, even if I don’t necessarily have pics yet.

I am going to get a 2’x2’x4’ reptibreeze cage and use the clear window insulation stuff on three of the sides and top of the front to create a chimney affect. I will have a 24” zoo med T5HO UVB Hood and a 50 watt heat bulb for the lighting. I’m planning on have 6 plants in there to fill it up, including 2 pothos plants, a monstera for the bottom, a creeping fig, a Swiss cheese plant, and a calathea lancifolia. The chameleon will be on a diet of dubia roaches as a staple, as well as BSFL and super worms and hornworms as treats. It will also be supplemented with repticalcium every feeding as well as reptivite on the 1st and 15th of each month. I’m thinking I’ll probably get a panther from FramsChams or a veiled if they have one available. I also have a Mistking misting system that will be used for hydration. Any responses will be much appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:
So I had a Veiled chameleon about a year ago that I got from PetSmart, and they told me it was a boy. Fast forward about six months and it started to become very dark because it was actually a female. I didn’t know this so even after I put in a laying bin, it didn’t lay all of its eggs and passed away. I’m thinking of getting a new chameleon and I was wondering if you guys could review my husbandry, even if I don’t necessarily have pics yet.

I am going to get a 2’x2’x4’ reptibreeze cage and use the clear window insulation stuff on three of the sides and top of the front to create a chimney affect. I will have a 24” zoo med T5HO UVB Hood and a 50 watt heat bulb for the lighting. I’m planning on have 6 plants in there to fill it up, including 2 pothos plants, a monstera for the bottom, a creeping fig, a Swiss cheese plant, and a calathea lancifolia. The chameleon will be on a diet of dubia roaches as a staple, as well as BSFL and super worms and hornworms as treats. It will also be supplemented with repticalcium every feeding as well as reptivite on the 1st and 15th of each month. I’m thinking I’ll probably get a panther from FramsChams or a veiled if they have one available. I also have a Mistking misting system that will be used for hydration. Any responses will be much appreciated, thank you!
Hi. :) I’m curious why you’d be covering the upper front of an enclosure…are you in an exceptionally dry area? Aside from that and adding a bit more variety of feeders, your plan looks good. Definitely make sure to get a male to avoid any further heartbreak. Fram’s Chams is a great place to get your chameleon from. Have you been to https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ yet? Best place to find current and accurate husbandry info plus so much more. Also check out https://www.neptunethechameleon.com/ and her many videos. Of course, the forum is always here to help and support and we especially love hearing about and seeing happy chameleons.

Thank you for the help! I wanted to put the film on at least the back and sides to prevent water from splashing on the alls outside the enclosure. After researching that a bit, I watched Bill Strand’s video on hybrid cages and he said that if you put film on all three sides and a little bit of the front, it will create a chimney effect to help with airflow.

I'm sorry for your loss. seeing all the research you have done I can tell you cared for her very well. 💗

Iam going to get a 2'x2'x4' reptibreeze cage and use the clear window insulation stuff on three sides and top of the front cage to create a chimney affect.

I would leave at least the whole front of the enclosure open for more air flow, if you are putting glass on because of humidity, you can put a shower curtain around the sides of the enclosure, this helped me.​

I will have a 24'' zoo med T5HO UVB hood and 50 watt heat bulb for lighting.

Awesome! just make sure you get the 5.0 bulb instead of the 10.0​

I'm planning on have 6 plants in there to fill it up, including 2 Pothos plants, a monstera for the bottom, a creeping fig, a Swiss cheese plant, and a calathea lancifolia.

Great! just don't use the creeping fig, from my understanding it can be toxic if digested.​

The chameleon will be on a diet of Dubia roaches as a staple, as well as BSFL super worms and hornworms as a treat.

I would add more feeders to your staple, mixing it up a bit. you can do Dubia roaches and BSFL one day, and Grasshoppers and horn worms another, as well as other feeders such as Praying mantis, silkworms, snails, Etc. Here is a video on what to feed a chameleon.

it will also be supplemented with repticalcium every feeding and reptivite on the 1st and 15th of each month.

Perfect!​

I also have a mist king that will be used for hydration.

Awesome! I have a mist king as well. I mist 30 minutes after lights are off for 5 minutes and 30 minutes before lights are on for 5 minutes, this is what works with me in my area, it might be different for you.​

You can poke a hole in a gallon jug and put on your enclosure for hydration.​

Also neptunethechameleon.com is a website I’ve been using for research, and in the plant section it says creeping fig. Is there a certain type that isn’t toxic, or should I just not use it to be safe?

Also neptunethechameleon.com is a website I’ve been using for research, and in the plant section it says creeping fig. Is there a certain type that isn’t toxic, or should I just not use it to be safe?
huh, I read a few things the other day that said they were not safe, if she used them with no problem they're probably fine.

Just one more question, do you have an idea of where I would be able to get something like snails to use as a feeder online?

you might check the sponsor list and see if any of them sell snails. I mainly use Dubia.com for my feeders and I know they don't have snails.

Back
Top Bottom