It’s a start….

AP0714

I got Sweet Caroline’s adult enclosure. The size is overwhelming (I’m used to crested geckos and snakes) but I’m learning everything I possibly can. The structure is a bit flimsy for my liking so I want to reinforce the seams before I do work inside the actual cage. For now I removed the drip tray and I think I’ve got my bottom layer figured out. I’m going to plant creeping figs in the tan containers, fingers crossed they creep up the walls. I have lots of pothos, prayer plants and a gorgeous lipstick plant with lots of hanging vines to put higher up in the enclosure and I made sure I put the lay bin in the back so she has more privacy when the time comes. The bromeliads give a little color, perhaps just aesthetic. My mom sent over a big box of branches from her trees. Looking forward to working more on this, but what are everyone’s thoughts so far?

Attachments

• IMG_5867.jpeg
    IMG_5867.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5868.jpeg
    IMG_5868.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5869.jpeg
    IMG_5869.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5870.jpeg
    IMG_5870.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 9
Keep us posted on how it looks as you put it together! I love seeing what others come up with for their enclosures :)

It sounds fantastic and I can't wait to see it all come together. 😃 Flimsy enclosure?🤔 Hmm...must be a ReptiBreeze, lol. They do actually hold up a bit better than one would expect. How will you be hanging your branches? Using something like Dragon Ledges does add a bit of extra support to the whole thing.

It sounds fantastic and I can't wait to see it all come together. 😃 Flimsy enclosure?🤔 Hmm...must be a ReptiBreeze, lol. They do actually hold up a bit better than one would expect. How will you be hanging your branches? Using something like Dragon Ledges does add a bit of extra support to the whole thing.
I actually opted to get a hybrid enclosure since keeping humidity within range out here has been a challenge. It seems like the first year owning a chameleon is a big learning process… like most other things in life 😂. I’m hoping that the hybrid doesn’t trap the heat too much in the summer as we usually hit triple digits out here. If necessary, I’ve accepted the reality that I may have to purchase a different cage to keep Caroline healthy. I’m experimenting a little with plant hanging. I have a bunch of old pvc pipe and some brackets that I’m going to try to bolt onto the sides of the cage poke holes in the planters and attach with zip ties. I also think I’m going to use the lattice after all because it will allow me to place branches going in different angles.

I actually opted to get a hybrid enclosure since keeping humidity within range out here has been a challenge. It seems like the first year owning a chameleon is a big learning process… like most other things in life 😂. I’m hoping that the hybrid doesn’t trap the heat too much in the summer as we usually hit triple digits out here. If necessary, I’ve accepted the reality that I may have to purchase a different cage to keep Caroline healthy. I’m experimenting a little with plant hanging. I have a bunch of old pvc pipe and some brackets that I’m going to try to bolt onto the sides of the cage poke holes in the planters and attach with zip ties. I also think I’m going to use the lattice after all because it will allow me to place branches going in different angles.
You could also get a small AC unit for the room she is in if her room gets too hot. Stick around and we can all help you problem solve that if/when you struggle with her temps in the summer.

You could also get a small AC unit for the room she is in if her room gets too hot. Stick around and we can all help you problem solve that if/when you struggle with her temps in the summer.
You got it 👍🏻!! Everyone has been so welcoming and helpful. As long as you don’t get annoyed with all my newbie questions I’ll definitely be around! I was looking at small a/c units. I’ve found some smart devices (space heater, thermo/hygrometer, humidifier, plus smart plugs to set timers on the lights, mister and fogger) and they’ve been great in helping keep everything regulated, especially when I’m not home. Doing research on a smart a/c units to prepare for summer. Any time after about April is fair game for hot weather out here 🥵

You got it 👍🏻!! Everyone has been so welcoming and helpful. As long as you don’t get annoyed with all my newbie questions I’ll definitely be around! I was looking at small a/c units. I’ve found some smart devices (space heater, thermo/hygrometer, humidifier, plus smart plugs to set timers on the lights, mister and fogger) and they’ve been great in helping keep everything regulated, especially when I’m not home. Doing research on a smart a/c units to prepare for summer. Any time after about April is fair game for hot weather out here 🥵
We will never get sick of newbie questions. That’s what we are all about :). I still have lots of questions and much to learn myself.

Right??? Do you know about the chameleon academy podcasts? Those are amazing.
Yes. I’ve learned a lot from him. There’s another reptile enthusiast that I’ve followed for a long time named Dav Kaufman (sp??). He goes all over the world to observe and learn about reptiles in their native habitats. He did an episode where he travelled to Madagascar to observe chameleons and Bill Strand went with him. Pretty cool crossover!!!

Yes. I’ve learned a lot from him. There’s another reptile enthusiast that I’ve followed for a long time named Dav Kaufman (sp??). He goes all over the world to observe and learn about reptiles in their native habitats. He did an episode where he travelled to Madagascar to observe chameleons and Bill Strand went with him. Pretty cool crossover!!!
Oh I love Dav!!! I saw the Madagascar episodes too. Those were good! Have you seen ones where Dav travels with Adam Wicken? Love those two together.

Oh I love Dav!!! I saw the Madagascar episodes too. Those were good! Have you seen ones where Dav travels with Adam Wicken? Love those two together.
Yes. I just love their passion and desire to learn. I’m grateful there’s people out there like them. I wish more of my friends enjoyed reptiles; so many people are so skittish about them (I do think I’ve convinced my running buddy to get a crested gecko… so I’m making progress 😂). I remember back in college there was a baby corn snake in the microbiology lab (nursing major). My lab partner and I would finish our work early so we could go hold the snake. Every other girl in the class thought we were crazy.

Back
Top Bottom