Basking Setup Questions

falconut

I've been researching but have only been only able to find very general info.

I've been working on setting up a Panther Chameleon enclosure. I have the 24"x24"x48" DIYCages cage. I'm going with a DIY rainmaker as found on this forum. I purchased and have a Reptisun T5 single fixture with a 5.0 reptisun bulbs for now.

I was planning on laying the Repitsun across the front top of the cage. Then I was going to have two domes (1 in each back corner). Back right would be a CFL 6500K for plants, back right would be the basking light.

1. - After thinking about this, am I supposed to have the basking and UVB overlapping or will the two separate areas be fine?

2. - Now I read a lot of people just use the clamp type domes from HD. I read to get the ceramic bases, but online they don't appear to have ceramic anymore. Are the non-ceramic domes okay as long as they're rated for the size bulb?

3. - A couple basking bulb questions: a) spot bulb or just regular incandescent? b) does color matter (2700K, 5100K or 6500K), certain bulbs are only available in 2700K?

Seperate areas are fine. I actually run the uvb down the middle diagonally and then have a basking bulb in each corner of the 24 X 24 X 48. Most people have one basking area, but I found that they use both areas to bask. Regular white housebulb is fine if that is what you mean by incadescent. I go by wattages like 40, 60, 75 and not the numbers you are talking about so cannot comment. Any kind of dome to reflect the heat and light is fine. I have boith ceramic and non and both are fine..

dont think theres harm in what colour the bulb is. i do believe however that closest to daylight is prob best so around the 6500. having a lower one might will prob make it a bit darker or dull.wash out colours of your plants.

dont think theres harm in what colour the bulb is. i do believe however that closest to daylight is prob best so around the 6500. having a lower one might will prob make it a bit darker or dull.wash out colours of your plants.

as long as it is white though. No red or anything colored like that, but like you said close to daylight.

Good, so it sounds like my plans are still on the right track. I'll have to see what colors are available.

What wattage are people using to attain the proper basking temps? Spot bulbs or just the regular round bulbs?

The size bulb you will need will depend on the temps in your house. It is best to be able to raise and lower the dome to obtain the proper temperature.

The size bulb you will need will depend on the temps in your house. It is best to be able to raise and lower the dome to obtain the proper temperature.

Our house is anywhere between 68 - 74 when the heat or ac is on. I plan on getting a dimmer chord & will have the ability to raise it if needed. Just curious for a general wattage, so I don't go too small or large.

Back
Top Bottom