SUMMER BASKING

Orangejuiceman

Hey guys! I have a question about seasonal lighting and durations.
I live in Miami with my 2 chameleons, it’s almost December and temps right now are 80s for a high and 70s for a low. Both of my guys cages are in the window so they get plenty of bright morning sun, fresh air and warmth.
My question is about what to do in the fall and winter months. With the days being longer, should I still keep their lights on a 12 hour system? It seems excessive in these months, especially when all the wild veiled chameleons down here are only getting sun from 7am to 4pm. Should I take a more natural approach and shut the lights on and off at sunrise/sunset, or should I keep them on a 12 hour system.

Second question is basking lights in south Florida. They live in our Florida room which always stays about 75-80 no matter what, is a basking light necessary with these temperatures, should I use only in the morning for waking up and warming up….what should my approach be. Do they biologically need to bask regardless of temperature?

That’s all. They seem happy no matter what, but I don’t want to adjust things that have been working for the last 9 months, but there’s a drastic seasonal shift and just need advice.

Thanks.

Hi. I’m in central Florida, so not quite as warm as your temps. I keep my lights on the same 12 hour schedule year round. I didn’t plan for it, but there is one of my gecko’s whose lights stay on about 30 minutes after all the rest turn off which provides a kind of dusk for them to settle in for the night.
Chameleons do need heat for all of their bodily functions and metabolism. If you have males (veiled or panther), their temps can/should be around 80-85. The girls are kept a bit cooler at no higher than 80. If you have those temps already, you don’t need a basking light….just the uvb lights. A fyi just in case you don’t know - uvb does not pass thru glass or plastic.

Back
Top Bottom