Need advice please

Orangejuiceman

First off. Hello and thank you all for making this exist. • Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, 11 months, Miami Florida
• Handling - daily to every other day, he runs to my hand when I open the cage and loves hanging around the house on our trees
• Feeding - Crickets and occasional hornworms. Dubai’s are not allowed to be shipped to Florida. Gut loaded with repashy, leafy greens, fruit, bell peppers. Every other day 5 crickets
• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? ZOOMED Calcium no d3 every feeding, REPASHY Calcium plus LOD on the 1st & 15th, no extra vitamins (need advice) *I have two other supplants to use just in case one is better preferred (ZOOMED REPTIVITE w/d3 & REPASHY Calcium plus) not sure which of these is best but I have them all
• Watering - i use Berkey filtered water, I mist according to ChamAcademy suggestions. 6am, 9pm, 2am with a dripper intermittently during the day. Rarely see him drinking.
• Fecal Description - normal poops, no parasites shown in previous vet visit.
• History - had an eye issue as a baby, cleared up, seems like it is a slight issue beginning again, but seems perfect when placed outdoors.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - 2x2x4 screen cage in front of east facing window for morning sun
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Arcadia t5 HO 6% FOREST. 12 hour schedule that begins at seasonal sunrise (window light wakes him up first)
• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Floor is at 65-70 full shade, midway is 70-75 with light filtering through foliage, basking is max 85 right now +/- 2 degrees, lowest overnight 65-70 ambient. I have analog in the lower regions and one digital in basking region (wondering which is best)
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Miami is pretty humid all year, high humidity at night during misting and lower during day with sunlight and bask lamp
• Plants - If so, what kind? All live plants, pothos, philodendrons only
• Placement - Cage is in spare room, usually empty, east facing and top of cage is at 6’6”, no vents or fans hitting cage
• Location - Where are you geographically located? Sunny Miami

I have an 11 month old Veiled and the main concern here for me is lighting, hydration and behavior. I know there are subs where these topics are touched on but there is so much conflicting advice and arguments I am going crazy trying to decide my own chameleon morals.

First, I’m torn on the 6% vs 12% uvb options. I began with 12% because of Cham Academy and the fact that my cage is densely planted and the light gradient fades very quickly towards the bottom. After a few months I noticed he was always dark while in his cage and when I would take him out in the sun he was immediately vibrant bright green. My personal assumption was that the uvb was too high and he was trying to shield himself or was taking in too much uvb. I switched back to a 6% two months ago and now I’m noticing that he seems less active (in cage). He stays under his basking lamp for a majority of the day and seems kind of lazy aside from when it’s time to eat, and his colors are slightly muted (in cage). However, when I take him outside for daily sunbath he is crazy active, beautiful green colors and just seems overall more alert. He seems happy and more alert and active outdoors and bored in his own cage. At times I’ll even find him with his eyes slightly closed under his basking light but fully alert and watching everything when he’s in the sun. Obviously nature provides better than tech but this has me in a conundrum especially since I think I’m following all the rules.

His basking light is a 75watt Arcadia halogen on a dimmer so I can control the temperature, but since it’s a clear light and not frosted light incandescent, I’m wondering maybe if the halogen light beam may be too much for him even though the temperature is spot on.

In his cage, he occasionally seems to have an eye issue recently. He had an issue as a baby and he got eye drops and it cleared up 100%. He will keep his right one slightly closed and is always rolling it around in its socket. But if he is outside in the sun, it looks like a brand new perfect eyeball with zero issues, never closed, and totally normal. I’m clearly messing up somewhere but can’t identify where. He has a vet visit tomorrow with his usual exotic vet, this will be his second checkup.

Hydration. I mist and drip, reddit tells me I’m an absolute idiot because I should be offering water from a glass in his cage. Bill from Cham Academy says it’s less natural and misting and fogging and dripping are best. His poops are very normal and he’s big and juicy and doesn’t show hydration issues, but what is the ideal option here. Reddit trolls say misting can cause problems or over humidifying or this and that and I have way too much incoming information to be able to decide for myself. The tree he lives on is completely and easily removable from his cage, it’s one big piece with plants growing on the actually branches, so I can easily clean everything thoroughly weekly.

He just seems bored and sleepy in his cage and highly alert and excited outside, like little kid excited all over the place on every single tree. I am currently building him a cage outdoors in my backyard. I have lots of sun but also lots of shade that changes as the day goes. I live in Miami where the weather is perfect, there are tons of chameleons down south in the Everglades just enjoying life and the rain and weather. I’m building his outdoor cage and my idea is to have him outdoors most of the day, and bring him inside towards the evening or in heavy rain, or extra hot days, I want to provide the most natural habitat for him, nobody wants to be indoors all day if outdoor is an option.

Don’t hate me for the novel, I’m sorry, I’m just really invested but I think I’m taking in too much information from too many different sources. They all seem to work but maybe my mixture of them all is the problem.

Orange Juice and I really appreciate you guys here and this community. This is my first reptile and I’m obsessed and enjoy this more than my cats and dogs so I just want to make sure I’m doing it all properly :)

Attachments

• IMG_4795.jpeg
    IMG_4795.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4796.jpeg
    IMG_4796.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4797.jpeg
    IMG_4797.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4798.jpeg
    IMG_4798.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4799.jpeg
    IMG_4799.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4800.jpeg
    IMG_4800.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4801.jpeg
    IMG_4801.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4802.jpeg
    IMG_4802.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4805.jpeg
    IMG_4805.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3803.jpeg
    IMG_3803.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 11
The only thing I can think of is that your supplements don’t have any vitamins in them. I personally use reptivite so maybe that would help. I’m sure @Beman would have advice also.

The only thing I can think of is that your supplements don’t have any vitamins in them. I personally use reptivite so maybe that would help. I’m sure @Beman would have advice also.
The repashy plus LoD should be fine. It’s a combo like the reptivite is. I prefer the repashy to the reptivite. It sticks much better.

Everything looks pretty spot on. Reddit is not great from what I hear. I would suggest a probe thermometer rather than the analog. The analog ones are known to give bad readings. Probe thermometers are much more accurate. I’ll let more experienced keepers give a full review, but nothing stands out to me.

They actually have multiple multivitamin options. Repashy calcium plus and repashy Calcium plus LOD version are both mutlivitamins with A and D3. Reptivite is also a multivitamin with A but they have a with and without D3 version. :)

First off. Hello and thank you all for making this exist. • Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, 11 months, Miami Florida
• Handling - daily to every other day, he runs to my hand when I open the cage and loves hanging around the house on our trees
• Feeding - Crickets and occasional hornworms. Dubai’s are not allowed to be shipped to Florida. Gut loaded with repashy, leafy greens, fruit, bell peppers. Every other day 5 crickets
• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? ZOOMED Calcium no d3 every feeding, REPASHY Calcium plus LOD on the 1st & 15th, no extra vitamins (need advice) *I have two other supplants to use just in case one is better preferred (ZOOMED REPTIVITE w/d3 & REPASHY Calcium plus) not sure which of these is best but I have them all
• Watering - i use Berkey filtered water, I mist according to ChamAcademy suggestions. 6am, 9pm, 2am with a dripper intermittently during the day. Rarely see him drinking.
• History - had an eye issue as a baby, cleared up, seems like it is a slight issue beginning again, but seems perfect when placed outdoors.

Cage Info:
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Arcadia t5 HO 6% FOREST. 12 hour schedule that begins at seasonal sunrise (window light wakes him up first)
• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Floor is at 65-70 full shade, midway is 70-75 with light filtering through foliage, basking is max 85 right now +/- 2 degrees, lowest overnight 65-70 ambient. I have analog in the lower regions and one digital in basking region (wondering which is best)
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Miami is pretty humid all year, high humidity at night during misting and lower during day with sunlight and bask lamp
• Placement - Cage is in spare room, usually empty, east facing and top of cage is at 6’6”, no vents or fans hitting cage

I have an 11 month old Veiled and the main concern here for me is lighting, hydration and behavior. I know there are subs where these topics are touched on but there is so much conflicting advice and arguments I am going crazy trying to decide my own chameleon morals.

First, I’m torn on the 6% vs 12% uvb options. I began with 12% because of Cham Academy and the fact that my cage is densely planted and the light gradient fades very quickly towards the bottom. After a few months I noticed he was always dark while in his cage and when I would take him out in the sun he was immediately vibrant bright green. My personal assumption was that the uvb was too high and he was trying to shield himself or was taking in too much uvb. I switched back to a 6% two months ago and now I’m noticing that he seems less active (in cage). He stays under his basking lamp for a majority of the day and seems kind of lazy aside from when it’s time to eat, and his colors are slightly muted (in cage). However, when I take him outside for daily sunbath he is crazy active, beautiful green colors and just seems overall more alert. He seems happy and more alert and active outdoors and bored in his own cage. At times I’ll even find him with his eyes slightly closed under his basking light but fully alert and watching everything when he’s in the sun. Obviously nature provides better than tech but this has me in a conundrum especially since I think I’m following all the rules.

His basking light is a 75watt Arcadia halogen on a dimmer so I can control the temperature, but since it’s a clear light and not frosted light incandescent, I’m wondering maybe if the halogen light beam may be too much for him even though the temperature is spot on.

In his cage, he occasionally seems to have an eye issue recently. He had an issue as a baby and he got eye drops and it cleared up 100%. He will keep his right one slightly closed and is always rolling it around in its socket. But if he is outside in the sun, it looks like a brand new perfect eyeball with zero issues, never closed, and totally normal. I’m clearly messing up somewhere but can’t identify where. He has a vet visit tomorrow with his usual exotic vet, this will be his second checkup.

Hydration. I mist and drip, reddit tells me I’m an absolute idiot because I should be offering water from a glass in his cage. Bill from Cham Academy says it’s less natural and misting and fogging and dripping are best. His poops are very normal and he’s big and juicy and doesn’t show hydration issues, but what is the ideal option here. Reddit trolls say misting can cause problems or over humidifying or this and that and I have way too much incoming information to be able to decide for myself. The tree he lives on is completely and easily removable from his cage, it’s one big piece with plants growing on the actually branches, so I can easily clean everything thoroughly weekly.

He just seems bored and sleepy in his cage and highly alert and excited outside, like little kid excited all over the place on every single tree. I am currently building him a cage outdoors in my backyard. I have lots of sun but also lots of shade that changes as the day goes. I live in Miami where the weather is perfect, there are tons of chameleons down south in the Everglades just enjoying life and the rain and weather. I’m building his outdoor cage and my idea is to have him outdoors most of the day, and bring him inside towards the evening or in heavy rain, or extra hot days, I want to provide the most natural habitat for him, nobody wants to be indoors all day if outdoor is an option.

Don’t hate me for the novel, I’m sorry, I’m just really invested but I think I’m taking in too much information from too many different sources. They all seem to work but maybe my mixture of them all is the problem.

Orange Juice and I really appreciate you guys here and this community. This is my first reptile and I’m obsessed and enjoy this more than my cats and dogs so I just want to make sure I’m doing it all properly :)
Hey there give me a bit to go through everything.

See my feedback in Red bold. :) You have basically everything on point. Just need to tweak a few details. :)

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? ZOOMED Calcium no d3 every feeding, REPASHY Calcium plus LOD on the 1st & 15th, no extra vitamins (need advice) *I have two other supplants to use just in case one is better preferred (ZOOMED REPTIVITE w/d3 & REPASHY Calcium plus) not sure which of these is best but I have them all. Use the Repashy calcium plus LOD for your multivitamin 2 times a month. I would use this over the other two types you have.
• Watering - i use Berkey filtered water, I mist according to ChamAcademy suggestions. 6am, 9pm, 2am with a dripper intermittently during the day. Rarely see him drinking. This I would edit a bit... He really needs to be able to clean his eyes but with all of the mistings when he is sleeping he can not do that. With you living in a high humidity area I would do a longer misting of 3-4 minutes in the late afternoon to evening when he is still up and not bedding down for the night.

Cage Info:
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Arcadia t5 HO 6% FOREST. 12 hour schedule that begins at seasonal sunrise (window light wakes him up first) 6% bulb is perfect. Make sure your distance from below the bulb to the branch right below the fixture is 8-9 inches. This will put him in a 3 uvi.

First, I’m torn on the 6% vs 12% uvb options. I began with 12% because of Cham Academy and the fact that my cage is densely planted and the light gradient fades very quickly towards the bottom. After a few months I noticed he was always dark while in his cage and when I would take him out in the sun he was immediately vibrant bright green. My personal assumption was that the uvb was too high and he was trying to shield himself or was taking in too much uvb. I switched back to a 6% two months ago and now I’m noticing that he seems less active (in cage). He stays under his basking lamp for a majority of the day and seems kind of lazy aside from when it’s time to eat, and his colors are slightly muted (in cage). However, when I take him outside for daily sunbath he is crazy active, beautiful green colors and just seems overall more alert. He seems happy and more alert and active outdoors and bored in his own cage. At times I’ll even find him with his eyes slightly closed under his basking light but fully alert and watching everything when he’s in the sun. Obviously nature provides better than tech but this has me in a conundrum especially since I think I’m following all the rules. So your cage is actually not densely planted. What this means is that you have coverage over the top branches so it is extremely full. But your entire top is open to the uvb so he has an unobstructed path of UVB light. You would only want to use a 6% with a distance of 8-9 inches from bottom of fixture to the branches right below this fixture. 12% would be much to strong for him.

His basking light is a 75watt Arcadia halogen on a dimmer so I can control the temperature, but since it’s a clear light and not frosted light incandescent, I’m wondering maybe if the halogen light beam may be too much for him even though the temperature is spot on. It shouldnt be but you could lift the fixture up off the cage top a few inches just to see if it makes a difference.

In his cage, he occasionally seems to have an eye issue recently. He had an issue as a baby and he got eye drops and it cleared up 100%. He will keep his right one slightly closed and is always rolling it around in its socket. But if he is outside in the sun, it looks like a brand new perfect eyeball with zero issues, never closed, and totally normal. I’m clearly messing up somewhere but can’t identify where. He has a vet visit tomorrow with his usual exotic vet, this will be his second checkup. This I think is directly related to not being able to clean his eyes properly due to night time mistings only when he is sleeping. See feedback I put in your watering section.

Hydration. I mist and drip, reddit tells me I’m an absolute idiot because I should be offering water from a glass in his cage. Bill from Cham Academy says it’s less natural and misting and fogging and dripping are best. His poops are very normal and he’s big and juicy and doesn’t show hydration issues, but what is the ideal option here. Reddit trolls say misting can cause problems or over humidifying or this and that and I have way too much incoming information to be able to decide for myself. The tree he lives on is completely and easily removable from his cage, it’s one big piece with plants growing on the actually branches, so I can easily clean everything thoroughly weekly. Avoid Reddit... I would not go near that place with so much incorrect info and mean horrible people.

He just seems bored and sleepy in his cage and highly alert and excited outside, like little kid excited all over the place on every single tree. I am currently building him a cage outdoors in my backyard. I have lots of sun but also lots of shade that changes as the day goes. I live in Miami where the weather is perfect, there are tons of chameleons down south in the Everglades just enjoying life and the rain and weather. I’m building his outdoor cage and my idea is to have him outdoors most of the day, and bring him inside towards the evening or in heavy rain, or extra hot days, I want to provide the most natural habitat for him, nobody wants to be indoors all day if outdoor is an option. So this boy gets to look out a window all day long at a place he would prefer to be because you have taught him that he gets to go outside. This is one big issue with having them in front of windows. Regardless they change during the seasons. You will see that he slows down during seasonal changes. We are about to his spring and he is going to be eager to patrol and desperate to find a girl. Many keepers have outdoor cages in FL. You just want to ensure one half is covered with a shade cloth material so he can completely retreat from sun and heat. It also should be very heavily planted. And if you can hook a misting system to it that would be ideal.

Don’t hate me for the novel, I’m sorry, I’m just really invested but I think I’m taking in too much information from too many different sources. They all seem to work but maybe my mixture of them all is the problem. ok so my 2 cents as I was extremely overwhelmed with the info out there when I was newer. Don't search everywhere. Find a group or groups of people that share and utilize similar correct husbandry. So for example Bills Strand's Chameleon Academy and Chameleon forum. Avoid Reddit, google, and certain FB groups. Not all people actually care about providing correct up to date husbandry because they care more about sticking with their way of doing things. So they preach that way thinking that is right. Never growing or learning from it.

Back
Top Bottom