UVB Lighting on new enclosure

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello,

So I am in the process of making a new enclosure for our next chameleon. I have almost all of my supplies and should begin building this weekend. However, I am curious what people think of my UVB lighting situation. I have a leftover 24" Reptisun T5 HO fixture (with a 5.0 bulb), and I had purchased another 24" (This one is a reptizoo) HO fixture with another 5.0 bulb.

My plan was to keep one on each side of the cage, diagonally. But now I am questioning just getting a 36" fixture, and going 10.0/12% UVB, and just going straight across.

I really want to make sure I'm not cutting any important corners here and make sure I have everything set up just right before we purchase our next chameleon. It's going to be a Panther male. I feel that using 2 fixtures is just fine. I guess my question is more: "Are the 5.0 / 6% bulbs still fine? Or should I go with a 10.0 / 12%? I am asking this because this enclosure will not only be wider (36") but of course, also taller (48"). I'm am planning on making this enclosure 36"x24"x48".

If you get a longer fixture you would still use the 5.0 or 6% bulb only. With the 10.0 or 12% you would have to have a full 11-12 inches between the bottom of the fixture and the closest branches below it. So you will lose more space in the cage if you drop branches down so that the fixture can sit on the top. If not you have to raise the fixture off the top.

If you get a longer fixture you would still use the 5.0 or 6% bulb only. With the 10.0 or 12% you would have to have a full 11-12 inches between the bottom of the fixture and the closest branches below it. So you will lose more space in the cage if you drop branches down so that the fixture can sit on the top. If not you have to raise the fixture off the top.
Ok I will stick with the fixtures/bulbs I have then. That makes it easy so that I don't have to return any more stuff. I already have to return 2 enclosures because one I bought for Max (too small for a male panther) and I bought a 2x2x4 before deciding to build my own 🤣 Thank you!

Even for a veiled chameleon? I wouldn't have to do the arcadia 12% ? I just ordered the xl and at moment I have the 24ich 6%

Steve,
Like everyone is saying, the 6%/5.0 bulbs are the standard for panthers in an enclosure like that. It gives them a gradient they can find their place in between. The 12%/10.0 is too strong and more for desert species. If your 5.0 is 'leftover', they tend to drop in their measured UV index over time. Do you know how long it has been running? I would try to borrow a Solarmeter, if possible, to make sure your UVB zone is solid. I have an extra I could lend you if you need.

-Connor

Chameochameleons.com

Steve,
Like everyone is saying, the 6%/5.0 bulbs are the standard for panthers in an enclosure like that. It gives them a gradient they can find their place in between. The 12%/10.0 is too strong and more for desert species. If your 5.0 is 'leftover', they tend to drop in their measured UV index over time. Do you know how long it has been running? I would try to borrow a Solarmeter, if possible, to make sure your UVB zone is solid. I have an extra I could lend you if you need.

-Connor

Chameochameleons.com
Mine is veiled chameleon I just got the arcadia 6% 2 months ago . Thank u for ur useful info I was just feeling confused every web site or person has a different answer.

Mine is veiled chameleon I just got the arcadia 6% 2 months ago . Thank u for ur useful info I was just feeling confused every web site or person has a different answer.
Totally. Arcadia 6% is perfect for a veileds or panthers. The light's usefulness tends to diminish over time, so it should be replaced every year or so. but you're doing the right thing.

Yes, as already stated you would still use the 6% instead of the 12%. 12% at the distance of 8-9 inches that you would use the 6% at would provide much too high of a UVI at basking. A 12% is only used in certain situations such as basking is much farther down then normal, heavily planted out cage where the plants are covering the basking branches at the top, or if you have a solarmeter 6.5 to double check your exposure levels, and if you are running a multi bulb fixture that only uses a single reflector panel.

So a 6% set on top of a screen cage in a single bulb fixture you would then measure down 8-9 inches from the screen and that is where your highest basking branches would sit.

Yes, as already stated you would still use the 6% instead of the 12%. 12% at the distance of 8-9 inches that you would use the 6% at would provide much too high of a UVI at basking. A 12% is only used in certain situations such as basking is much farther down then normal, heavily planted out cage where the plants are covering the basking branches at the top, or if you have a solarmeter 6.5 to double check your exposure levels, and if you are running a multi bulb fixture that only uses a single reflector panel.

So a 6% set on top of a screen cage in a single bulb fixture you would then measure down 8-9 inches from the screen and that is where your highest basking branches would sit.
U think the 24 inch is okay for xl or should I shope around for 36inch ? I've already doubled . So upsetting with the death kit I'll stick to the 6%

U think the 24 inch is okay for xl or should I shope around for 36inch ? I've already doubled . So upsetting with the death kit I'll stick to the 6%
If your enclosure is 24 inches wide do the 24 inch. If your running a 48 inch wide you want to do the 48 inch fixture. So UVB should run the width of your enclosure. :)

Back
Top Bottom