New Panther owner / new member assistance with lighting & temp

is there any reason I can't keep feeding the crickets in a small plastic tub like I am? I keeps them from free roaming and thus they can not eat, chew, drown in the fountain, etc.... So far I have seen the Chameleon eat a few out of the container so is there a reason to let them run wild? It seems much cleaner this way too as there are no dead soldiers laying around after putting the in there, just dump the container out and ready for next feeding.

I know maybe some will say he needs to "hunt" for them, but he will never need the skill as he will always be a captive pet.

Thoughts?

I prefer using more of a tub or box for feeders than a small cup. Giving the cham the chance to "hunt" helps keep tongue and tongue-eye coordination healthy. If they never need or learn to extend their tongue muscles it can lead to problems eating later. Also, occasional free ranging feeders provide enrichment, variety, and entertainment for the cham and you as well (after all, one of the reasons we love them is their tongue shots!). Most of my chams liked night-flying moths or houseflies (cultured).

OK so 60-63 at the bottom of the cage is OK? And 70 around the top with the basking spot around 90-100 (if he sits right under the light)?

I thought they generally liked 70-80 average temps. You are the experienced one offering assistance so I'll trust you if you agree my temps are OK.

I might have missed it, but how are you measuring your temperatures? I have a hard time believing that it's 90-100 in the basking spot and only 60 at the bottom of a glass enclosure, shouldn't glass be trapping in the heat from the bulb?

His ambient temp is more of a night temp. I think 60 during the day is too cold, but 65-70 is fine. I suggest moving him to a warmer room. I thought his whole house was 60 all the time.

Yea try moving him to the 1st floor then.

I also live in Chicago

I have my Chameleon in the Basement also, His enclosure is 24x24x48 all screen. I have the Reptiglo 5.0, 75 watt basking light, and a another incandescent for the plants. His temps are perfectly fine as this would normally be his Winter time anyway.

I picked up most of my supplies from Pet Supplies Plus, cheapest place around.

Reptiglo 5.0 was around $21
Exo Terra little Dripper $5

Just to give you an idea.

If you need anything I live around Jefferson Park. Just PM me.

I have a hard time believing that it's 90-100 in the basking spot and only 60 at the bottom of a glass enclosure, shouldn't glass be trapping in the heat from the bulb?

It all escapes out the screen top.

I have used 2 different thermometers to get temps moving them around to verify both are giving similar readings.

NO not digital.

One is a mercury thermometer, and the other is the bi-Metal style that they sell at pet stores.

You definately should get a digital one. The pet stores ones are really inacurate. I don't know about the mercury ones though...

Instead of heating your entire house with the thermostat or moving him out of the basement, just buy a space heater to raise the ambient temperature of that room. It is cheaper than heating your whole house, does not heat your whole house, and can be moved if you move.

Easy Peezy

Back
Top Bottom