My new GOC

Quite impressive! :eek: Seriously in awe of this! You know what they say? GO BIG or go home!!! I applaud you! :D

Action Jackson coined the term from me on another forums. GOC is a giant outdoor cage.

woohoo! got it right!

you wouldn't believe how many people have asked me what a GOC is and here I thought it was standard lingo around these parts.

we are currently hanging the dividers between cages so they can each feel like they are my favorite chameleon and I cater only to that particular one. will post more pix when finished with that and the inline water filtration.

Very nice, I didn't notice if you screened the ground also animals may dig or tunnel to get to the chameleons. I would use a heavy metal screening that they cant get through.

Last edited:
Very nice, I didn't notice if you screened the ground also animals may dig or tunnel to get to the chameleons. I would use a heavy metal screening that they cant get through.

i did not. the only wild burrowers around here are armadillos, and I'm not worried about them. the lumber siding was placed just 2-3" under the soil surface.

I suppose a dog, maybe raccoon, or eventually a snake could find their way in, but since it's not a free range system and they are all suspended in the air and then locked in individual cages, I did prevent whatever I thought was a realistic possibility. I hope I'm never proven wrong, but if I am I'll adapt.

Last edited:
i did not. the only wild borrowers around here are armadillos, and I'm not worried about them. the lumber siding was placed just 2-3" under the soil surface.

I suppose a dog, maybe raccoon, or eventually a snake could find their way in, but since it's not a free range system and they are all suspended in the air and then locked in individual cages, I did prevent whatever I thought was a realistic possibility. I hope I'm never proven wrong, but if I am I'll adapt.

The set-up is awesome! I had actually been thinking about something similar, I really like the approach.

As far as predators getting in rats are in my experience the biggest nuisance. My grandparents had issues with aviaries where they would come in eat seeds, steal eggs bite birds etc. Those little buggers will dig right through the wood if they think they want anything in there. They kept some very attractive baited traps on the outside hidden where the dogs couldn't get to them and that worked better than pouring a concrete base and digging screen into the ground. These days I would use the battery powered zap traps. Your larger mammal pets can't get into them and they work awesome. I've eliminated entire rat populations with only 2 of them. (I hate poison).

As far as predators getting in rats are in my experience the biggest nuisance. My grandparents had issues with aviaries where they would come in eat seeds, steal eggs bite birds etc. Those little buggers will dig right through the wood if they think they want anything in there. They kept some very attractive baited traps on the outside hidden where the dogs couldn't get to them and that worked better than pouring a concrete base and digging screen into the ground. These days I would use the battery powered zap traps. Your larger mammal pets can't get into them and they work awesome. I've eliminated entire rat populations with only 2 of them. (I hate poison).

our next door neighbor has five cats that like to roam freely particularly on our property. And I have already caught two yellow rat snakes, each literally climbing the brick siding of our house. Besides that, i will daily see some black racers, redtail hawks, owls, and many other rodent predators and have never seen a rodent. so I hope the local population is being controlled very well. but thank you for the heads up.

our next door neighbor has five cats that like to roam freely particularly on our property. And I have already caught two yellow rat snakes, each literally climbing the brick siding of our house. Besides that, i will daily see some black racers, redtail hawks, owls, and many other rodent predators and have never seen a rodent. so I hope the local population is being controlled very well. but thank you for the heads up.

Ha sounds like you have the rat issue under control!

The only issue there is that the rodent's natural predators might be getting out performed by the cats. If there is a more efficient way to depopulate rodents I don't know of it. Our area now has a lot of feral cats and very few rodent problems.

WOW indeed, this thing looks GREAT! A lovely home for all of your babies :D

I live in Florida as well and I have to ask, this thing being only wood. Have you prepard for a hurricane? I mean the animals in the house obviously, I didn't look into much if you anchored this so I should read back. I was just making sure :cool:

Putting the work into a project is always fun, and always shows results. Now you can get all the ooh's and ahh's of people admiring your animals and their habitat.

WOW indeed, this thing looks GREAT! A lovely home for all of your babies :D

I live in Florida as well and I have to ask, this thing being only wood. Have you prepard for a hurricane? I mean the animals in the house obviously, I didn't look into much if you anchored this so I should read back. I was just making sure :cool:

yes, I had mentioned in the text that the building in the photographs is actually a hurricane shelter designed to withstand up to 200 mile-per-hour winds. So that's where everybody will go with me.

if the GOC itself decides to fly off and land in Oz, I guess we will rebuild from scratch!

Last edited:
Amazing

You should convert part of your hurricane shelter into a ticket booth and start charging for tours lol.. What Do you neighbors think about your GOC ?

Chris

You should convert part of your hurricane shelter into a ticket booth and start charging for tours lol.. What Do you neighbors think about your GOC ?
Chris

the only neighbor that can really see it is a French widow who is at least in her late 80s. And she thinks we're nuts anyway. the people in this house before us were here for 31 years, so she is just getting used to what it is like to have a reptile veterinarian and bulldog lover next-door. but actually just two days ago, she did come in for a tour of the cage once I promised her that the lizards were in locked cages themselves and would not jump out on her head as she feared that they would. and since she mentioned that her grandchildren were interested in seeing it, I told her to have them come over the next time that they are in town.

Excellent job on such a fantastic GOC (yes, I was another one who had no clue what that meant but was praying someone asked the question so I didn't have to!). I'm quite impressed with all the hard work you've done and your chams will surely thank you for it - in their own way of course :)

Michelle

LOL that's the biggest one I get with my snakes.

There in cages, locked Exo-Terras or racks with heavy tubs.
"No thanks, they can still come out and GET ME."

Good thing to hear about the hurricane shelter!! :cool:

I am completely blown away!! Pure genius. You have some exceedingly lucky chameleons Dr O. Fantastic job.

Thank you for documenting so thoroughly and sharing with us.

Back
Top Bottom