New chameleon

He turns dark outside to absorb heat and the precious uvb from sunlight. Uvb should pass thru the screen. It won’t pass thru glass or plastic. Do make sure he has some shade to go to if needed.

He turns dark outside to absorb heat and the precious uvb from sunlight. Uvb should pass thru the screen. It won’t pass thru glass or plastic. Do make sure he has some shade to go to if needed.
One last thing i need to be checked is his mouth it seems to be getting worse he had mucus like thing in his front lip but it seems to have fallen now his front gum is exposed and dry I can clean it up but he can't close his mouth properly so it dries as well what do you suggest i do?

Attachments

• 17130962526761310337359247426016.jpg
    17130962526761310337359247426016.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 171309626973498925191352151284.jpg
    171309626973498925191352151284.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 4
I’m not sure about the mouth. Usually that happens in cases of pretty bad metabolic bone disease (mbd), but I don’t see any other signs of that in your chameleon. Another cause could be mouth rot, which is an oral infection and if untreated can be serious. For it to have gotten bad enough to cause that level of damage though, it should be unmistakable and I would think that the chameleon would have been refusing to eat for some time. Are you able to see inside the mouth? You would see ulcerations. https://www.madcham.de/en/maulfaeule/ I suspect he was possibly wild caught and the mouth was injured at some point.
Have we confirmed that you have a boy? The coloring isn’t looking like that of a boy. Only males have what is called a tarsal spur on the back foot, like in the pic below. They will also have the coloring and patterns from as young as about 3 1/2 to 4 months old.
IMG_1036.jpeg

I’m not sure about the mouth. Usually that happens in cases of pretty bad metabolic bone disease (mbd), but I don’t see any other signs of that in your chameleon. Another cause could be mouth rot, which is an oral infection and if untreated can be serious. For it to have gotten bad enough to cause that level of damage though, it should be unmistakable and I would think that the chameleon would have been refusing to eat for some time. Are you able to see inside the mouth? You would see ulcerations. https://www.madcham.de/en/maulfaeule/ I suspect he was possibly wild caught and the mouth was injured at some point.
Have we confirmed that you have a boy? The coloring isn’t looking like that of a boy. Only males have what is called a tarsal spur on the back foot, like in the pic below. They will also have the coloring and patterns from as young as about 3 1/2 to 4 months old.
View attachment 354286
I did check inside the mouth and it seems fine nothing is building up inside the teeth are yellow and further inside is all pink colored so i would assume it isn't it might be an injury though because i can see signs of that like torn skin on the chin which in the beginning i thought was dirt or sometimes but it's not also on the subject of gender there are no spurs on the back legs which made me conserned when i was about to purchase but the pet store assured me it was a boy (they're not experts whatsoever) and i was convinced because of the cask (the head part) i thought females had something similar to panther chameleons but it turns out they do have it now i'm worried it's a female i don't think i have enough experience to take care of a female chameleon and i feel bad if i return her to that horrible place what do you think i should do?

Attachments

• 1713263309852615638703005446816.jpg
    1713263309852615638703005446816.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 17132635257805319383997435278909.jpg
    17132635257805319383997435278909.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 17132637008632672190965782896169.jpg
    17132637008632672190965782896169.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 4
One last thing i need to be checked is his mouth it seems to be getting worse he had mucus like thing in his front lip but it seems to have fallen now his front gum is exposed and dry I can clean it up but he can't close his mouth properly so it dries as well what do you suggest i do?
She's a little cutie :love: Don't return her, she loves it with you, her cute little face confirms this.
I do agree that it looks like a rubber jaw (MBD related) but I don't think it's MBD. Maybe she rubbed her face against something or she got bitten. I would closely monitor it if starts to infect or some kind.

It's a girl and no worries females are wonderful, they just need some specific care and @MissSkittles helped you with this, she wrote a perfect on this subject https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/ give it a read and if questions pop-up just let us know.
I read the entire thing and it was wonderful i think my chameleon is in her receptive period she's searching all over the place and wants to get out also do you think the plant pots that i have could work as playing bins? They're large and are felled with soil or do i need to get another one for her? And it is fine to leave the eggs in the soil? If anything they could work as fertilizer for the plants instead of tossing them out in the trash

Attachments

• 1713266909937774023902806301543.jpg
    1713266909937774023902806301543.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 5
Also another thing what feeding schedule should i follow with mealworms only? I bought a bug catcher and i will try to catch some moths or locusts as treats so that's what i'll be feeding her what do you suggest?

I read the entire thing and it was wonderful i think my chameleon is in her receptive period she's searching all over the place and wants to get out also do you think the plant pots that i have could work as playing bins? They're large and are felled with soil or do i need to get another one for her? And it is fine to leave the eggs in the soil? If anything they could work as fertilizer for the plants instead of tossing them out in the trash
They're extremely smart and it could work, but personally for the first time I would give her also a back-up, the regular laybin (like described in the blog). Just to be sure. My girl lays also lays in a large planter (dia 24"), check my story and blog as well. And for the first and maybe second, it's good to count the eggs, to know if the food regime needs to be correct. If that's okay can leave, at least this is what I'm doing.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/first-successful-free-range-bioactive-egg-laying.182715/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/free-range-inspiration.2464/

Also another thing what feeding schedule should i follow with mealworms only? I bought a bug catcher and i will try to catch some moths or locusts as treats so that's what i'll be feeding her what do you suggest?
I would still suggest 3-4 feeders 3 times a week. You can also try to pupate the mealworms into beetles. That will be lovely treat as well and is also different in nutrients

I would still suggest 3-4 feeders 3 times a week. You can also try to pupate the mealworms into beetles. That will be lovely treat as well and is also different in nutrients
That's great i have experience with mealworms and i can pupate them easily but i never thought that beetles have different nutrients then mealworms that's some great information thanks a lot

Congratulations on having a girl! It can be scary but you can get thru it. If you return her to the store, she will likely die a horrible way. The most important thing is that she is getting calcium and vitamin D3 so that she can absorb and use the calcium. I know it’s been a challenge to get supplements, but I think you did get calcium. For vitamin D3, the best source is some unfiltered sunlight. You were going to be putting her outside for a part of the day, which would be perfect. Just make sure she doesn’t get too hot and has an area of shade. If you only have mealworms to feed her, because they are so much smaller than other insect feeders, you’ll need to feed her more of them. She does look a bit thin. Because they are so small and not as nutritious, I would count 2 mealworms as being equal to 1 ‘feeder’ insect.
If your plant pots are large enough, like at least 30 cm diameter, that should be ok for a lay bin. You still may want to provide a standard lay bin though, just in case. They can be fussy about where they lay their eggs. Many times chameleons will choose to lay against plant roots. You will want to dig up the eggs to count how many. Also, they will rot if you leave them and it won’t be good for the plant or anything else. If there is a garden outside planted in the dirt and not pots, it would be a good fertilizer. The difference is that in the ground there are beneficial insects, like isopods springtails and other little creatures that eat organic waste and help turn it into rich soil.

If you only have mealworms to feed her, because they are so much smaller than other insect feeders, you’ll need to feed her more of them. She does look a bit thin. Because they are so small and not as nutritious, I would count 2 mealworms as being equal to 1 ‘feeder’ insect.
Good point!! I was thinking in the size superworms (never used mealworms), but now you wrote I could memorize the mealworm size again. Agreed with above, my apologies @Jihad

I fed her a beetle today and oh bro the crunch sounds however i also learned that beetles have larger amount of protein and much lower fat than mealworms and i prosume that's a good thing so should i start feeding her more beetles? I don't plan on making them the main food because their shells if fed too much could cause digestion issues (correct me on that if i'm wrong) but i was wondering should i lower the amount of mealworms i give her every 2 days from 6-8 to 4-6 mealworms and 1 beetle in the middle or is that too much?

Back
Top Bottom