New chameleon

Jihad

Hello there everyone i recenetly got a new male veiled chameleon and i need him checked out please he had poor husbandry before i got him but he's been eating and drinking plenty as soon as i got him i live in saudi arabia so there aren't many options available to me with feeders and supplements i'm feeding him mealworms at the moment and i plan on buying calci worms/black soldier fly larvae pretty soon he has a big enclosure with a lot of live plants and he's getting natural sunlight the only things of concern are his mouth which is slightly open from the front as well as a bit of blood on the tip of the lower jaw it doesn't look concerning but i thought i'd mention it also is his tongue which he cannot shoot far enough to get the worms i've seen chameleons shoot their tongue much further last thing is his poop which looks a little weird (i'll leave a picture of it down bellow) and that's about it
As for supplements i'll try to order some but i probebly can't because the shipping for saudi is 2-3 times the price of the actual product i get my hands on dried squid though can that serve as a replacement?
I've been contacting @MissSkittles for a bit and we went through a lot i hope i mentioned everything if i missed anything hopefully she can let us know

Attachments

• IMG_20240314_111823.jpg
    IMG_20240314_111823.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240314_111840.jpg
    IMG_20240314_111840.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240314_111904.jpg
    IMG_20240314_111904.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240314_111913.jpg
    IMG_20240314_111913.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240314_111828.jpg
    IMG_20240314_111828.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240314_103818.jpg
    IMG_20240314_103818.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240314_094432.jpg
    IMG_20240314_094432.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 13
I’ve been doing my best to help OP, but I know that the experiences and knowledge of everyone are much better than just mine. OP is aware that the chameleon is very dehydrated and I have concern that he may have parasites, is too thin and just doesn’t look very good. Unfortunately, there are limitations such as no veterinary care available and some other resources limited. I know we all get stuck in our routine husbandry and take for granted having everything we need, but if we can perhaps think outside the box and help OP, I for one would be deeply appreciative. 💗
For example, I wasn’t sure if OP could grind up human calcium supplement tablets to use.

Well i know OP is in good hands with misskittles! I do not kniw for sure, but i do think human calcium ground fine should be ok. Personally i would try it in small quanities as it is probably much strong for humans. Also get a plastic cup and poke a few holes near the top so you can put thread or string thru it (tooth floss would work perfect) then get a fine needle and poke one hole in the bottom then tie it to a branch and fill it once a day so it drips down onto leaves of the plants. Your boy should be able to drink from it once he knows where the water is. The urate is yellow/orange from dehydration. looks to me like he is going to molt very soon. I am not sure if you can get collard greens there but if you can they are very high in vitamin A. Keep the bunch in the frig and tie a whole leaf to a plant and see if he will eat it. Thats all i can think if right now. If i think of anything else i will let you know. Oh, if you can get that blanket that is shading him wet, i would dump a half gallon of water on it everyday and reposition the pots underneath to catch the water that drips. This might help with humidity and a water source.

I listened to a post on the chameleon academy podcast where someone talked about grinding up chicken eggs for calcium. That may be an option? If so I’m happy to hunt down the information for OP.

Have you gone over gut loading what bugs are available to you? Maybe making sure you feed your bugs veggies that are high in vitamin A could also be helpful.

Also @Jihad warmest welcomes to you and your chameleon. You found a good place to be :)

I listened to a post on the chameleon academy podcast where someone talked about grinding up chicken eggs for calcium. That may be an option? If so I’m happy to hunt down the information for OP.

Have you gone over gut loading what bugs are available to you? Maybe making sure you feed your bugs veggies that are high in vitamin A could also be helpful.

Also @Jihad warmest welcomes to you and your chameleon. You found a good place to be :)
Oh please do i would be happy to grind and dust my worms with eggs also what does OP stand for?
Yeah i've gone over gut loading and I've fed my worms lettuce for the past 2 days but @MissSkittles told me i should try carrots so i'm doing that today and @MzLaurie recommend collard greens so i'm getting cabbage for tommorow
Thanks you my friend it's really nice talking to people who are interested in chameleons like me and hopefully my guy will get better soon with the combined efforts of this amazing community

Oh please do i would be happy to grind and dust my worms with eggs also what does OP stand for?
Yeah i've gone over gut loading and I've fed my worms lettuce for the past 2 days but @MissSkittles told me i should try carrots so i'm doing that today and @MzLaurie recommend collard greens so i'm getting cabbage for tommorow
Thanks you my friend it's really nice talking to people who are interested in chameleons like me and hopefully my guy will get better soon with the combined efforts of this amazing community
Op means original poster. I’ll look for that podcast and see what I can find for you :)

Glad to hear you went over gut loading.

I hope your little guy starts to feel better soon! And please stick around! We all love talking chameleons and can always use another friend to talk chams with :)

Regarding parasites, I’d be careful to only hand feed or cup feed so your baby doesn’t inject any parasite eggs.

When he poops clean it up straight away and sanitize the area straight away. Be careful with touching anything while sanitizing. The eggs could be passed by your hands as well.

Hopefully doing those two things will at least help his parasite load not get any stronger.

If there is one thing that you will be needing to buy, it will be a good multivitamin. If you can’t find one in any stores or other on line stores, you may have to pay the extra from Amazon. I’ve been trying to find an on line store for you but it seems that cats and small dogs are the preferred pets there.

If there is one thing that you will be needing to buy, it will be a good multivitamin. If you can’t find one in any stores or other on line stores, you may have to pay the extra from Amazon. I’ve been trying to find an on line store for you but it seems that cats and small dogs are the preferred pets there.
I can buy from amazon if you find anything that could be helpful please let me know my brother is going to order from it 2-3 days from now and he's gonna pay for shipping anyway i can tell him to include what i want

I wasn't able to find calcium without d3 for chameleons on amazon but if you can find it alongside a moltivitamin that would be great

I’m seeing a good amount of supplies for turtles and tortoises. Are those commonly kept pets there? What about birds? Any vet that sees and cares for those animals, should be able to test your guy’s poo for parasites and have the right medications available to treat him. Unfortunately, there’s all different types of parasites and very different treatments for each. For now, the best you can do is to get him hydrated and well fed and hopefully he doesn’t have parasites.

I’m seeing a good amount of supplies for turtles and tortoises. Are those commonly kept pets there? What about birds? Any vet that sees and cares for those animals, should be able to test your guy’s poo for parasites and have the right medications available to treat him. Unfortunately, there’s all different types of parasites and very different treatments for each. For now, the best you can do is to get him hydrated and well fed and hopefully he doesn’t have parasites.
There are vets for birds not many for turtles though it's either cat or bird people here i know a vet that could run a test on his poo thanks for reminding me however he mainly treats cats, birds, sheep and camels but i think he should be able to at least test it

Hello there everyone i recenetly got a new male veiled chameleon and i need him checked out please he had poor husbandry before i got him but he's been eating and drinking plenty as soon as i got him i live in saudi arabia so there aren't many options available to me with feeders and supplements i'm feeding him mealworms at the moment and i plan on buying calci worms/black soldier fly larvae pretty soon he has a big enclosure with a lot of live plants and he's getting natural sunlight the only things of concern are his mouth which is slightly open from the front as well as a bit of blood on the tip of the lower jaw it doesn't look concerning but i thought i'd mention it also is his tongue which he cannot shoot far enough to get the worms i've seen chameleons shoot their tongue much further last thing is his poop which looks a little weird (i'll leave a picture of it down bellow) and that's about it
As for supplements i'll try to order some but i probebly can't because the shipping for saudi is 2-3 times the price of the actual product i get my hands on dried squid though can that serve as a replacement?
I've been contacting @MissSkittles for a bit and we went through a lot i hope i mentioned everything if i missed anything hopefully she can let us know
Hi and welcome! You're already in good hands. An option to provide him/her the calcium is to mix it with water. I do this during the brumation period of my Parsons, because they almost eat nothing but still want her to get calcium and/or vitamins. I wouldn't anything that's dried food, dried food needs moisture before it can be digested and will therefore restrain moisture from the chameleons body. Also squid isn't something they eat in the wild and caught cause troubles to digest. I would personally try to gutload, provide lots of fresh fruit and vegetables to the mealworms, this could give the extra vitamin boost before you receive the supplements. For now hydration would be prio, because seeing its stool it's extremely dehydrated and I would offer 2-3 times a day a dripper to let it drink. The changes of being infected with parasites is big, and I quick way to notice, is waiting for a new fresh poop. If this smells badly, then you definitely know parasite are playing role, because their healthy poop doesn't smell or have a bad odor.

@MissSkittles @elizaann2 @Sonny13
بيفار مكمل غذائي للزواحف، 20 مل https://amzn.eu/d/fj269S9
is this going to do? I'm trying to save a little bit to order calci worms and this one has a very good price can you check it out please i can mix it with water or spray my worms with it before feeding him
I honestly don’t know. It doesn’t show any of what is in it (other than vitamin A & D3) or how much of each is in it. I don’t want to give you any advice that might harm your chameleon. @kinyonga @Beman what do you think of this multivitamin supplement?

Back
Top Bottom