DIY-Cricket Cup

Spent this Super Bowl Sunday finishing up the feeder cups. Here is the rubber trimming, they were a pain in the *** to splice down the center, fill with glue and then line the feeder cup. I’m adding that to my list of things I really don’t like to do. BTW, Who won???

full

I used 4500 psi tensile strength epoxy to attach the metal backings to the cups. You know, for those really fat chameleons.

full

One last thing, THEY LOOK AWESOME! I'm teasing everyone right now, going to set up for photos tonight and have them posted SOON!

Last edited by a moderator:
THEY ARE DONE!!!!!!!
Chameleon Feeder Cup 2.0

Finally completed the first batch! Just a few more things to figure out, tomorrow I will find out about shipping costs and I promise to start sending out PM’s shortly. I will keep everyone updated every step of the way!

Front View, I'm very happy with how everything worked out. They do look much nicer then my first one I made. I hope people are happy with them as I take pride in things I make.

full

Back View, the magnets are so strong that I put a yellow foam spacer between them and the backing or else it will chip the rust proofing paint. When they arrive you can pull it off, but I highly recommend not letting the magnet make direct contact with the backing plate.

full

Here is the lot of them all, it was a lot more work than expected. I do have to thank everyone for motivating me to get these done and I have learned so much in the process that will only make them better next time around.

full

So I will be sending out those PM's this week and have them shipped soon! Again if new people are interested, then post here or send me a PM and I'll put you on the list for the second batch.

They look great! I can't wait to get rid of the eye sore I made:eek:
(PayPal would be an easy way to pay... just an idea)

They look absolutely fantastic. I bet you never imagined the road that first picture put you on! I can't wait to get mine. Thanks so much!:D

They look great! I can't wait to get rid of the eye sore I made:eek:
(PayPal would be an easy way to pay... just an idea)

They look absolutely fantastic. I bet you never imagined the road that first picture put you on! I can't wait to get mine. Thanks so much!:D

Thanks guys! Working to have them out soon. Today I asked my wife to check on shipping cost, it was a bit more expensive then I thought, so tomarrow I'm going back to check out different sized shipping boxes to see if I can lower the price a bit.

Don't forget me. I ordered mine months ago :D

"months" really, haha

They are awesome! Keep me updated on the prices as well please!

Thanks!

Sending out PM'S NOW

OK, OK, I figured it all out! Phew….. During lunch I ran over to UPS and they wanted $20-$30 bucks, I bought a bunch of boxes and I ran over to USPS, their pricing for express much cheaper and packages go by weight. So tonight at home I went online to try and print out some labels, but UPS online will only let you print the high priced priority lables..grrrrr.. After some research I found out that Paypal and Ebay both let you print express lables from your computer. After another 30 minutes of trying to figure out my Palpal account password I finally printed out a shipping lable. Sorry for the ranting, I have got everything down and will be sending those PM’s out NOW!!!!

PM’s all sent out. If I missed someone please PM me and I’ll check the list again. I’ll be making another batch soon, so don’t worry if I run out.

First wave was sent out. It was like bidding farewell to a newly launched ship, sure hope she floats. I did have problems matching people’s name to their user names so please make sure you post a message in Paypal. They are going quick, with the help of my 3 year old and unhelping of my 1 year old boy, we spent the day packing. Also unless requested, colors have been random, people who wanted 2 will get one of each color. If I run out of one color requested I will message you before shipping.

How much are they and how much, in general, is shipping?

I’m not ready to post an official price on the open thread. This first batch was all about gathering materials and creating a method of manufacturing. The second batch will be about fine tuning that process so I can get the most out of the time that goes into labor. After I’m done with the second batch I can calculate the final cost. I will send you a PM with price when they are completed.

IMPORTANT UPDATE and Tips

Escaped cricket! I kept one of the new feeder cups and give it a test today and a few of them escaped the feeder cup. When I attempted to capture one he jumped out of my cage and ran behind my dresser. This was my nightmare scenario, a male chirping cricket loose in my house! I freaked out and dragged my dresser away from the wall and started probing with a stick all the junk that has fallen back there throughout the years. Racking away I finally spotted the escapee but knew there would be no way of squeezing back behind the dresser to catch him. I had only one choice….so I quickly speared speared him with the stick. I figured I couldn’t take the chance of sleepless nights and had to kill him.

Why are the crickets escaping? Well there are a few things that I did not take into consideration when making these cups. #1. My chameleon eats medium sized crickets so until now I never had full grown adults untill now. I tested the cup with the largest one I had (George) and it worked just fine. #2 Adding the protective rubber trim was the last step when making these cups. The attached rubber gives the crickets a perfect grip to pull themselves up.

Don’t worry, there is an easy fix! I am posting the fixes here with all the steps to make your cricket cup a jail house.

Tip: Attaching feeder cup. To provide grip, attach the magnet sideways as pictured. The magnet is strong and if laid flat becomes difficult to remove.

full

Modify the ladder. 1. Remove the velcro ladder, 2. Cut (nail clippers) the design as pictured below. 3. Reattach ladder and press down firmly on velcro.

full

Crickets escaping from the lower curve. Apply a light coat of Vaseline in the inside surface or create a guard plate, instructions below.

Find some scrap packaging plastic, cut a rectangle 1x4 inches.

full

Follow and create the diagram below.

full

Fold the tab, insert and tape.

full

Send me a PM if someone needs help with these modifications. Please understand that this first batch is a learning process, there is always a way to improve and I would greatly appreciate feedback and ideas to improve them. Also note that some lucky crickets will always escape, some get startled and jump out ,while others hitch a ride on your chameleons tongue, I’ve seen them get bounced out when a chameleon strikes. I however have not yet had a roach escape. Final note: This was my first time buying adult crickets. Even though they are stored in my garage, their chirping annoys me. I personally will be buying medium sized crickets for now on.

Here is a new modification that will help with escaping crickets. The top lid needs a little trimming, pop off the top and use a razor or sharp knife to trim off the extra plastic (pictured below). I had left a little bit of the plastic on for added strength but it is not needed and crickets can use it assist climbing out. If you find they can still escape from the top then use a bit of Vaseline on the cap, while your add it add a little bit to the rubber trim, another method is to cut more of the top of the cricket ladder so they cannot reach the top at all. I will continue to find ways to improve the feeder cup and keep everyone posted. Again if someone needs help send me a PM.

full

I will continue to find ways to improve the feeder cup and keep everyone posted. Again if someone needs help send me a PM.

First batch is all gone. I’m sorry if someone was still on the list, but don’t worry I’ll start working on the new batch next week. Like always I’ll keep you all posted with updates.

Back
Top Bottom