DIY-Cricket Cup

I really have no idea how you guys on this sight are so damn smart. I'm not even smart enough to follow the directions,allow I'm sure they would be clear for a person with a brain. I need to change my name on here to scarecrow (no brain). My cricket holder is just a plastic cup. before that, I just thew the crickets in. I've had him for a couple of months and I've seen him eat 2 crickets. I had way too many plants in the bottom. Plus, I really had no bottom .I just placed the cage on a scree sitting on a Home Depot Shelf where the water could just drain into a plastic container underneath. The problem is,I couldn't make it square or flat (whatever you call it and crickets that didn't climb the screen escaped. I feel like I'm camping in here! You guys come up with the most unbelievable stuff. Trouble is,even when I see something awesome, I'm to lame to figure it out. I wish more of you guys would sell your gadgets. I've seen at least 4 things I'd buy. Kudos to you all. I have a doctorate and can't figure a thing out. I love that feeder. Will my chameleon find the crickets in a plastic cup. I don't want to starve him. He doesn't look skinny, but sure won't eat the crickets on the screen if I'm watching. Sorry for babbling, I just wanted to say how impressed by all your inventions.
Nick Barta sells a very similar cup here on the forums. In this thread.

This thread inspired me to complete my own fancy cricket cup :D. I didn't have any mesh screen so I used gutter guard. The spaces are a bit too open for my small crickets to climb though, so I'll probably replace it with a smaller mesh screen.

View attachment 104382
I hate you guys! That is perfect! Someone sell those PLEASE!!!!
I’ve been getting a few private messages from people asking me to make them a cricket cup. Because of the demand I officially WILL be making them for people on this forum. Like I said before, if you would like one just comment on this page or shoot me a PM, that way I can estimate how many to make for people and start order parts. Here is my response to those who PM me.

“Hello, I am slowly in the process of gathering materials to make a few of these for people. Juggling family, holidays and other projects I should be able to start working on them in January and will be sure to make one for you. I will update the page when I start the project and will send you a PM when complete.”

Bad news, I’m extremely unsatisfied with this first batch of feeder cups, with a few minor and one major flaw I consider them a failure. I take shame in making something that does not work and have spent days testing and thinking of how to fix them. My conclusion is that they do not do their intended design of containing large crickets. I feel that all the fixes posted are still unacceptable and although they help reduce the number of escaping crickets, the only real fix is to completely remake them with the needed improvements. I apologize to everyone who gave their trust in me to create a feeder cup that “works”. My solution is to ask for time to remake them for all people who have already received the first batch. I will spend another week testing and collecting feedback from everyone before ordering new materials and start new construction. Keep in mind that the first batch of feeder cups are not useless or junk, they will work great for other insects and medium sized crickets. Give me a few weeks to get made and I will resend out PM’s, as always I will keep the thread updated. Please comment or message me for any questions.

Sorry for the lack of updates, I’ve been super busy with playing around with my eldest son. He is now 3.5 year old has started building Lego sets, so I have been spending all my extra time teaching him how to build and follow instructions. My computer is still on the fritz, but I spent our spending cash on more Lego sets, darn things are expensive. We have completed over 10 sets, we are currently working on a 1900 block aircraft carrier, 1700 block market place and have the 1600 block Star Wars X-wing coming soon.
I know it is a poor excuse, I have not forgot about everyone and will start a new batch as soon as we have finished these Lego sets.

Whichever vyou think is best,put me down fo1. Thanks.

So many new members completely fail to look at the dates that threads were started....

This thread was started back in October of 2014, and the original poster hasn't been online since Aug 1, 2015.

So it is VERY unlikely that they will get your message and make a feeder cup for you. Do a simple search for "feeder cups" on this forum and you will get lots of results for ideas.

You'd be surprised who is still watching. This is one of my favorite pinned threads. Believe it or not I've already started s conversation about helping Hugh out.

You'd be surprised who is still watching. This is one of my favorite pinned threads. Believe it or not I've already started s conversation about helping Hugh out.

It's not showing a red thumb tack next to the thread.... so how exactly is it a "pinned" thread? I mean by all means, help Hugh if you can. I was just making a statement in general, in that I see a lot of new members bringing ancient threads back from the dead, asking questions to the OP who hasn't been around for quite some time. I see this happen a lot. It's like lots of them don't even see the dates on the threads and ask a question to someone who hasn't been on the site in a very long time. Was just making an observation.

It's not showing a red thumb tack next to the thread.... so how exactly is it a "pinned" thread? I mean by all means, help Hugh if you can. I was just making a statement in general, in that I see a lot of new members bringing ancient threads back from the dead, asking questions to the OP who hasn't been around for quite some time. I see this happen a lot. It's like lots of them don't even see the dates on the threads and ask a question to someone who hasn't been on the site in a very long time. Was just making an observation.
Oh I completely agree. I see the same thing happen quite often. Totally understood, and good point.

I didn't even realize when I said pinned thread that it actually wasn't one. I guess I've been following this post for so long that I seemed "pinned in my head". I love seeing all the creative ideas that everyone comes up with.

Me too. Some of the really neat cup designs and drainage tray designs and DIY cage designs I see on this site sometimes..... This should be called Engineer Forums. ;) :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom