Feeding cups!

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
I've already discussed this with the breeder of our panther that is on the way, but I am curious as to what people think/use on here. I plan on using a few 32oz clear plastic deli containers to feed my chameleon. I already know about the shooting gallery, and some of the other popular feeders. However, I want to really keep the bugs contained this time around. The bugs (mostly crickets & BSL) were escaping from these a lot in my experience. I know nothing will be perfect, but I am NOT planning on having bugs roam freely this time around. So, I would just like to keep them as contained as much as possible.

I think the clear containers deli are probably my best bet, but if anyone has any other ideas please share! We are starting him off with crickets, silkworms, and BSFL to start. In the past, I mixed the bugs together, but that got....weird. Especially with the silkworms lol so I would like to keep them all separate this time.

Hello! I use the feeder runs found on this website, they are amazing because bugs don't get out of them easily and the set up from these Lunch Logs are similar to what would be found in nature with the bugs climbing up vs being in a cup.

If you want a cup situation, I also use the bird feeder cups that Neptune the Chameleon uses, they are deep enough that most bugs don't get out, however its easy for crickets to get out of. This method works for some of my chameleons, but not all.

Hello! I use the feeder runs found on this website, they are amazing because bugs don't get out of them easily and the set up from these Lunch Logs are similar to what would be found in nature with the bugs climbing up vs being in a cup.

If you want a cup situation, I also use the bird feeder cups that Neptune the Chameleon uses, they are deep enough that most bugs don't get out, however its easy for crickets to get out of. This method works for some of my chameleons, but not all.
These look really nice! Thank you for sharing. I think if I were to try another feeder that attaches to the mesh, I may try one of these. I've seen these around and I've heard good things, similar to what you mentioned.

These look really nice! Thank you for sharing. I think if I were to try another feeder that attaches to the mesh, I may try one of these. I've seen these around and I've heard good things, similar to what you mentioned.
There are quite a few out there that are a similar feeding set up but look different visually. I prefer these just because it looks more 'natural' so I feel like it goes with my enclosures better :)

There are quite a few out there that are a similar feeding set up but look different visually. I prefer these just because it looks more 'natural' so I feel like it goes with my enclosures better :)
I agree. I love the natural look in general. Although I'm probably gonna use my cheap clear plastic deli containers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. At least they won't always be in there. Just during the day until hes done eating.

Hi the problem with a clear feeder I've seen in the past is that the cham has shot and hit the outside
I haven't experienced this myself ( I used these with my last chameleon for a little while before she passed), but I will certainly keep that under consideration, and if I use these, I will keep an eye on it to see. The way I plan on doing them, will be "under" where he basks. In that area anyway. So after hes done basking, he'd already be looking down at them. But of course this is definitely something to consider, as we don't want him getting his tongue stuck on there, or moving the cup lol I will at least make sure they are secured well. Thank you!

***Edit: Maybe if I use these I will even go with dark colored containers if this seems to be a problem

Mine have done that as well, thats why I switched to the bird feeder cups.
ahh I just checked this out and I actually have these cups lol mine are smaller. I used them in the old enclosure. But they of course wouldn't hold crickets like you said. Maybe I will end up doing the same thing you're doing after all lol

Or maybe I'll use some solid color cups or something. I'll have to really think about this and look for more options. Because I really want to be able to remove the bugs so they're not in there over night.

ahh I just checked this out and I actually have these cups lol mine are smaller. I used them in the old enclosure. But they of course wouldn't hold crickets like you said. Maybe I will end up doing the same thing you're doing after all lol

Or maybe I'll use some solid color cups or something. I'll have to really think about this and look for more options. Because I really want to be able to remove the bugs so they're not in there over night.
The bottom of the lunch log comes off so you can easily remove any uneaten bugs and clean it as well. Thats what I do with mine.

I use the hard plastic condiment cups, black, to offer bugs and for silks my hand. I use a super tall cup to present crickets. The only bugs I throw in and leave are flies and bsflies but they are gone immediately lol. No feeder run to take up space or clean.

I like the shooting gallery and the full throttle feeders. I used these exclusively and had wonderful experiences with my chams immediately taking to them. I had better luck with the shooting gallery when it came to containing crickets. Sunset chameleons makes one similar to the full throttle feeder but they are very artistic.

I cup feed Beman only now that he is 5 years old. I do this to ensure that his targeting is on point as he gets older and to spot issues. I would only use a white cup if you do this. I actually use the white ones that come from the bug places that they ship superworms and waxworms in. But I do not feed crickets so I do not have to worry about them jumping out.

I would find out how your breeder is feeding them. If they have moved them over to a feeder run I would purchase what they have been using because the cham will immediately take to it.

I use the hard plastic condiment cups, black, to offer bugs and for silks my hand. I use a super tall cup to present crickets. The only bugs I throw in and leave are flies and bsflies but they are gone immediately lol. No feeder run to take up space or clean.
Could you show me an example of the cups you're using? Because in my head I'm seeing solo cups lol but I feel you may mean something elsen

I like the shooting gallery and the full throttle feeders. I used these exclusively and had wonderful experiences with my chams immediately taking to them. I had better luck with the shooting gallery when it came to containing crickets. Sunset chameleons makes one similar to the full throttle feeder but they are very artistic.

I cup feed Beman only now that he is 5 years old. I do this to ensure that his targeting is on point as he gets older and to spot issues. I would only use a white cup if you do this. I actually use the white ones that come from the bug places that they ship superworms and waxworms in. But I do not feed crickets so I do not have to worry about them jumping out.

I would find out how your breeder is feeding them. If they have moved them over to a feeder run I would purchase what they have been using because the cham will immediately take to it.
I did and they are feeding him mostly crickets and silkworms. So I got those already and some bsfl. When I get home I wanna check out those full throttle feeders. Not sure if I've seen them yet or not. Ty!

Ok so I found this bird feeder cup. I really like this. Right now this will be holding silkworms and BSFL.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RBS91M...plies&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

I tried to find the ones that Neptune uses but I can only find the ones I had before, that look exactly like hers but they're really small. I wanted something bigger. I just need to decide on something now for the crickets. I already have a shooting gallery, but I have the one that uses the thumb tacks and I honestly don't like it because of the method it uses to stick to the enclosure. Right now the Sunset chameleons feeder and the full throttle feeder are on the top of my list. Just gonna look around a little bit more to see if I can find anymore options. Thank you everyone :)

I used the bird cups like Neptune the chameleon for a while and now I have a feeder run. I liked them both and they both worked well

Back
Top Bottom