DIY-Cricket Cup

Here is mine. I went off the design and used what I had.
Not sure how to upload photos so I hope this works.

Good Job Repdog, the photo loaded fine for me. Really like the green it should blend in very well in your cage. It's nice that you used something else besides a squared tube, it shows us how to be creative.

Thanks. I ended up finding something at my parents house that was just laying around. I didn't have anything tall enough. The screen is window screen and just cardboard.

Here is my diy cup

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 280
Thank you. Well I didn't take measurements when I purchased the container and it's too large. Ugh I need to make another one.

I may just sell this one I made.

Oh I think the poor Sunny D feeder cup has been one up'd with the Tupperware cheese container. Very nice idea and thanks for sharing. I know what my next little project is going to be.

Another container that may work, is the package that Crystal Light comes in. It's on the smaller side, has a removable lid, rounded corners and rectangular in shape. I have a ton of them, I use them in the garage for small parts. :)

I’ve been getting a few private messages from people asking me to make them a cricket cup. Because of the demand I officially WILL be making them for people on this forum. Like I said before, if you would like one just comment on this page or shoot me a PM, that way I can estimate how many to make for people and start order parts. Here is my response to those who PM me.

“Hello, I am slowly in the process of gathering materials to make a few of these for people. Juggling family, holidays and other projects I should be able to start working on them in January and will be sure to make one for you. I will update the page when I start the project and will send you a PM when complete.”

When/If you make somoe more I would be interested to purchasing one.How will you make more if there was just one container? Will you buy different containers for it or keep hoping your wife won't notice every time??Lol

When/If you make somoe more I would be interested to purchasing one.How will you make more if there was just one container? Will you buy different containers for it or keep hoping your wife won't notice every time??Lol

3D printing? I wish I had one. OK! Keep pushing me and it will get done! It’s been a rough new years start, my poor chameleon broke his leg and the kids have been sick….again. Going out today and get the supplies to start the builds, I have the idea all built in my head, let’s see if I can get it done.

I would like those interested to vote on a design, please choose one from the drawings below and post A B C or D. I will stop collecting votes after Friday 11:59pm 1/16/2015.

full

Sorry for the bad picture, having problems with my camera.

"D" is my vote.

Please note: The drawings are NOT in real aspects to the feeder cup, proportions and sizes will vary depending on my mood of the day. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so everyone knows I have started working on the first batch, I wanted to post pictures of the some of the supplies I got yesterday but my cable to connect the camera to my computer is broken. I have ordered the top and bottom caps and neodymium magnets. They are coming from Hong Kong so it might take a few weeks to arrive, that should give me enough time to find the rest of the materials, prep, paint and cut the shells.

Last night I attempted to color dye a test shell, it failed, they would not take color and the plastic warped in boiling water. I really wished it would have worked because dyed plastic holds color much better then paint and would have cost less. So this week I will get them painted.

Got pictures of the first batch of 19. Just to prove that I'm not slacking on the job :D

Here they are! I was able to cut up 19 of them.
full

Prepping to paint with a hot soap bath to remove any oils.
full

I had to tape off the tops and bottom.
full

First 10 ready to paint.
full

10 brown have 8 light layers of brown and 4 coats of clear UV protection.
full

9 green have 8 light layers of green with 4 coats of clear UV protection.
full

For some reason the green is showing cloudy blotches so next weekend I will try a few more layers, if not try a different brand of paint. If that fails I will bust out my airbrushing equipment and paint flaming skulls on them all :p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom