DIY-Cricket Cup

I don't have a chameleon yet, been doing research for one. I do have anoles in a large terrarium & have been trying to find a better way to feed them crickets orther than just turniong them loose in the tank. I just bought a tupper on ebay for them. When I get a chameleon I can alternate days with this feeder.

Thanks for the great idea!
Jim

What did you use to cut out the hole?

I would recommend using a dremel cutting bit (disc) for this if you want crisp cuts, a new razor blade will also work but require more effort depending on the thickness of the plastic. I personally avoid using scissors and hate them because they will leave jazzed, bend, ugly cuts and would probably crack the paintjob.

Yo, that's some awesome shi*, dude.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

I would love oNe of these. It would be very beneficial for my male nosy be. I have a plastic cuP in his cage that he never eats out of.. But if I put a superworm on a branch or have it climbing up the screen wall, he'll eat it. It would also be nice knowing I wouldn't have any escapees, especially the dubias.

I'm really starting to feel the pressure to make these for people, I've been browsing cost effective materials and have a new design in mind. I'll keep everyone updated. "No Promises" :p

I don't have a chameleon yet, been doing research for one. I do have anoles in a large terrarium & have been trying to find a better way to feed them crickets orther than just turniong them loose in the tank. I just bought a tupper on ebay for them. When I get a chameleon I can alternate days with this feeder.

Thanks for the great idea!
Jim

NP! Not sure how it will work for anoles, maybe a version not so deep with shallower walls. Let me know how it works out.

NP! Not sure how it will work for anoles, maybe a version not so deep with shallower walls. Let me know how it works out.

I actually ordered two, a cheese keeper & a smaller long rectangular tupper for odds & ins. Will see which works best for what critters. Will post when I know.

I've got a clear plastic cheese container. He said he painted his. What kind of paint is safe for the chameleon?

I’m sorry to break some bad news, plan A for making these has failed. The idea was to use brown plastic gutter drain down spouts and I could have made about 10 per spout, but I cannot find end caps to close off the tops and bottoms. I will not give up yet, just need to find a cost effective way to mass produce some. So when I do find something I’ll let you all know. Help searching would be great, please let me know if someone has ideas.

There's all kind of sites to buy end caps. I typed gutter end caps and boom there they are. What paint did you use?

There's all kind of sites to buy end caps. I typed gutter end caps and boom there they are. What paint did you use?

Not gutter end caps, I need caps for the down spout. I understand there is no market for down spout caps cause why would anyone want to cap their gutter down spout and let it full up with water :D. I'll search more online.

Paint I used is Krylon fusion for plastic, then two clear coats.

I'm working on something.
Thank you for the inspiration!

your welcome and thanks for the comment, hope you share your idea here.

What kind of netting/mesh did you use?

I used a garlic net found in my kitchen, but type mesh/grid/grill will work.

any screen or mesh works.

yep yep, I'm also trying to find some sort of plastic grid insert so the new versions don't need mesh and can be cleaned easier.

Yes I found something that might work, would have to order some to test fit the downspouts at home depot. At about $10 for 4 I guess I could try them, but I'll probably try to find something cheaper. I found cool dealer for magnets :D

My original search for a container also led me to looking at a plastic gutter. It was the lack of a cap that made me keep searching. It's too bad becuse it's cheap easy to clean material. I think creativity of materials is the best route to go. Ease of use and cleaning ability rank high on my personal preferences.

Eat2muchrice good call with the idea for an easy cleaning insert. The cardboard wrapped in screen works well but I replace it about every five days

Not gutter end caps, I need caps for the down spout. I understand there is no market for down spout caps cause why would anyone want to cap their gutter down spout and let it full up with water :D. I'll search more online.

Paint I used is Krylon fusion for plastic, then two clear coats.

your welcome and thanks for the comment, hope you share your idea here.

I used a garlic net found in my kitchen, but type mesh/grid/grill will work.

yep yep, I'm also trying to find some sort of plastic grid insert so the new versions don't need mesh and can be cleaned easier.

JoAnnes Fabrics has plastic grid you seek my friend! they are white, rectangular, and I think are called canvas mats.

CHEERS!:D

Nick

This thread inspired me to complete my own fancy cricket cup :D. I didn't have any mesh screen so I used gutter guard. The spaces are a bit too open for my small crickets to climb though, so I'll probably replace it with a smaller mesh screen.

IMG_20141211_134713.jpg

This thread inspired me to complete my own fancy cricket cup :D. I didn't have any mesh screen so I used gutter guard. The spaces are a bit too open for my small crickets to climb though, so I'll probably replace it with a smaller mesh screen.

View attachment 104382

Awesome JOB! Thanks for sharing and posting up, glad you tested using the gutter guard, I think Nick nailed the idea of using plastic grids from a fabric store.

My original search for a container also led me to looking at a plastic gutter. It was the lack of a cap that made me keep searching. It's too bad becuse it's cheap easy to clean material. I think creativity of materials is the best route to go. Ease of use and cleaning ability rank high on my personal preferences.

Eat2muchrice good call with the idea for an easy cleaning insert. The cardboard wrapped in screen works well but I replace it about every five days

If i'm going to make these for people I needs to be "simple and cheap", I really liked the gutter down spout idea because I can find that already colored in brown (no painting). I think next time i'm at the store I'll just buy it and search for caps in other departments. As for the insert I think Nick has led me on the right track.

I know people are really wanting me to make these, I ask for your patients as I’m currently full with a ton of other projects still uncompleted. Keep pushing me though and I’ll get it done….maybe…

Here is mine. I went off the design and used what I had.

Not sure how to upload photos so I hope this works.

Back
Top Bottom