Blue Bottle Flies

Birdfood is loaded with worms! Also dog and cat food and any other grains, flour and what have you! It is nearly impossible to purchase clean food when talking grains of any kind, they just go with the territory!

bb fly size

Blue bottle is about 3 times bigger than house flies and twice as big as green bottle flies!

Hoping people are still watching this thread!

I went on to www.mantisplace.com and was getting ready to order some blue bottle flies for my fischers that isn't eating crickets anymore. Well my question is, how many should I order for one fischers? How many should I feed him per day? What type of hatching cycle should I be on for the blow.flies? Thanks for any help!!!

I went on to www.mantisplace.com and was getting ready to order some blue bottle flies for my fischers that isn't eating crickets anymore. Well my question is, how many should I order for one fischers? How many should I feed him per day? What type of hatching cycle should I be on for the blow.flies? Thanks for any help!!!

Use the cup system I had in the Original Post, and put 5-10 of the spikes every other day or so in the cup at room temperature. Once they start hatching, unplug the escape hole, and watch the fun.

If too many flies are not being eaten, cover the escape hole.:D

Nick

Blue bottle larvae in Canada

Just to let my fellow Canadian chameleon keepers know if you are looking for blue bottle maggots try Cabela's, they sell for about $3-4 per 100 and are sold as walleye bait, I keep them in the fridge then bring out to room temp to allow to pupate and hatch

Just to let my fellow Canadian chameleon keepers know if you are looking for blue bottle maggots try Cabela's, they sell for about $3-4 per 100 and are sold as walleye bait, I keep them in the fridge then bring out to room temp to allow to pupate and hatch

Thanks for that. I was just about to call my local pet store to see if they could order me some.

Cabela's in Saskatoon has a regular supply through winter months,don't know about the other stores , a very handy change to the usual winter food supply!

I must be doing something wrong. I have everything set up like I should as per the directions. I put the ones that I could see were very actively wiggling (when I opened up the shipment box) into the Cup O Flies first because they looked like they were already on their way to hatching. I put the remainder into the fridge to stagger hatching at a later date once I saw how the incubation timing went so I would have a steady supply always ready to feed.

Days later they are all black and dehydrated (dead Im sure) in the cup with the sawdust. The only thing that I have managed to hatch is stink.

Needless to say I am very disappointed.

It sounds like you are doing it right just not waiting long enough. The black things are called spikes. The warmer they are the quicker they hatch.

Jason

I must be doing something wrong. I have everything set up like I should as per the directions. I put the ones that I could see were very actively wiggling (when I opened up the shipment box) into the Cup O Flies first because they looked like they were already on their way to hatching. I put the remainder into the fridge to stagger hatching at a later date once I saw how the incubation timing went so I would have a steady supply always ready to feed.

Days later they are all black and dehydrated (dead Im sure) in the cup with the sawdust. The only thing that I have managed to hatch is stink.

Needless to say I am very disappointed.

The spikes are the maggots. The spikes will turn into the dark pupae. Depending on your temps in a few days to a week you will have flies hatching from the pupae. The warmer the temps the faster they hatch.

Carl

I also ordered from mantisplace.com and my little guy was very pleased when he got his first action with them yesterday. Is there a rule of thumb as far as how many he should be eating? (3.5 month old panther) Or is it give him as many as possible until he stops eating them?

Thanks

I also ordered from mantisplace.com and my little guy was very pleased when he got his first action with them yesterday. Is there a rule of thumb as far as how many he should be eating? (3.5 month old panther) Or is it give him as many as possible until he stops eating them?

Thanks

I really don't know, Nick! where r u? How many should they feed the little guys a day?

Thanks

The benefit of BB flies is that if you have too many in the enclosure, they don't bother the chameleons. I put the feeding cup in the enclosure, open the exit hole and let them fly to their death. MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA.

Once I see the flies being ignored by the chameleon, I plug the hole, or move it to another cage.

I don't think if too many get in the cage you need to worry, the only downside is opening the door for escapees, and if you gut load the flies, they leave little dark brown spit dots in the cage. BTW, I don't gut load them, I dust them-see the next paragraph.

With younger chameleons, BB are excellent, they always fly and land to get the chameleons attention. With a dusting of Yens' Blend (honey powder and bee pollen), your chameleon is getting good food value. I got my Yen's' blend at Mantisplace.com and use it with my Calcium w/o D3 dustings on all feeders. I would keep BB's in front of baby chameleons without any concern of feeding too many.

Plus, it looks like Pearl Harbor, the planes getting zapped out of the sky.:D

CHEERS!

Nick

Can someone please post a picture of there BB set up. I'm curious how you set it up in the cage while your away? please!!!

the first time i ever fed BB's to my chams, i was stunned by how much it "woke up" the chams and i've never seen tongues shoot faster or longer with any other prey. with roaches/supers/butters/wax/etc., i guess my chams have learned that they can generally take their time w/ slow-moving prey. but with the flies...HOLY COW!! it was like a classic David Attenborough scene! chams that i raised from eggs were shooting their tongues like lightning bolts....i've never seen another feeder elicit that response. i highly recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom