Blue Bottle Flies

Most flies have a straw like mouth and cannot bite, go here for more info on who bites and who doesn't.
http://www.critterzone.com/magazineresource/magazine-article-house-fly-flies-Musca-domestica.htm

Thanks for the link but the article says only that stable flies bite and that house flies (Musca domestica) do not. I was just wondering if blue bottles (Calliphora vomitoria) bite...but alas...if you guys all have first-hand experience and no bites, that's good enough for me. I'll have to get some and get a front row seat. Settle in for some zapping!:D

The BB flies are about 3/8 inch in length. The houseflies are about under 1/4" I would order some of both to see which one is preferred, but I would guess the BB would be taken by at least adult Pygmies, if not juvinile as well. It is a great solution to hiding feeders for a pygmy set-up.

They have little trumpet like mouths, It will make u laugh to see it up close, at least it always does me :/

Great thread.
I think these will be great addition to the diet and help when we are away for a few days at a time, as an extra food source.
Thank You nick barta.

Great thread.
I think these will be great addition to the diet and help when we are away for a few days at a time, as an extra food source.
Thank You nick barta.

I second that

Im watching them eat the 50% sugar and 50% canned milk solution right now you recommended..

I am bumping this thread to ask a few BB-Fly novice questions.

Once I have set up the mantisplace cup-of-flies with some maggots, the food and the water source and close it up, do I need to do anything else to get the maggots to pupate? And is there an approximate time frame this process takes?

After hearing the above stories I am starting off with a "small trail batch of maggots" to see how this all works out. No need to fatten the cham up more than I already do. :)

Thanks in Advance.

Great write up Nick!

I use MantisPlace.com for all my flies aswell. I order 500 at a time along with thier food and containers. They are a great feeder and create quite a bit of excitement for the chams.:) I usually hatch about 30-35 per deli cup and then refrigerate the cup for 30-45 secs before releasing them in the enclosure(slows them down). They re-animate shortly after I get the door closed and then the frenzy begins!!:D

I did however make a mistake when I first got them, hatching well over 100 in a cup and it turned into a mess. I tried to release 1/4 of them in the cage by removing the lid partly, but things quickly got out of hand and I had to close the cage door in a hurry and they were all released into a 18"x18"x36" enclosure, with a 5 month old cham. :eek::eek: She ate well over 50 BB flies!!:eek: I had to take the cage outside to release the remaining, what a crazy mess!:D

-Jay

LMAO!!! i can just imagine that omg.

on average what would be a good feeding of these for 2 chams? would i just be able to hatch/ release in cage. if so i would do this in heart beat

Back
Top Bottom