Blue Bottle Flies

I split up all that hatch that day between my Chams. Flies don't bite Chams, so hatch on!:D

Nick

You are welcome! No better peoples than Rebecca @ Mantisplace.com!:D

Nick

Last edited:
Yeah, I actually browsed through a lot of the site, and she seems really, really great. Might have to drop a few dollars there! haha

I try to order from her 1-2x a month. The prices are great and she carries the deli cups,food,etc. The shipping is reasonable and the feeders cost is unbelievable. Watching the chams eat flies is priceless, exciting for the chams and me!:) I like to stagger the hatch dates..ie: cup 1, 35 bb's 4/1/09....cup 2: 35BB's 4/3/09...etc. I write all the information on the lid to keep track of thier age and life span. I do that with 12) 32 oz. cups with metal/plastic screen lids. They are like $ .50 a cup w/lid, and are washable and durable. I use wood shavings for substrate and condiment cups for food and water. She sells small sponges for water, that fit perfectly into the 2. oz cups. It eliminates the flies from drowning and keeps the cups clean and sanitary. If you dont use them in your regular feeder list already, it would be a great addition, or even as a treat.:) I am going to order some right now!:D

Edit: I want to get a mantis as a pet aswell, I think I will add one!:)
-Jay

Crickets-3 cents, supers-2 cents, silkworms-10 cents, hornworms-60 cents.
Cham freaking out over flies-PRICELESS!!:D

Nick

Mantis place is a very great site for buying mantis.
I would definitely recommend her for mantis related business.

but, her feeder insects can be pricey (500 pupae for 6 bucks).
If you want to get it cheaper. Consider buying from farms.
Nowadays, some farms actually use BB flies as pollinators. So, they usually end up selling some pupae excess.

spiderpharm.com sell houseflies very cheap.

and for BB flies.
look what i found:
http://www.forkedtreeranch.com/prices.htm
nearly 2000 pupae for 10 bucks.

Mantis place is a very great site for buying mantis.
I would definitely recommend her for mantis related business.

but, her feeder insects can be pricey (500 pupae for 6 bucks).
If you want to get it cheaper. Consider buying from farms.
Nowadays, some farms actually use BB flies as pollinators. So, they usually end up selling some pupae excess.

spiderpharm.com sell houseflies very cheap.

and for BB flies.
look what i found:
http://www.forkedtreeranch.com/prices.htm
nearly 2000 pupae for 10 bucks.
\
Dodolah,

Pupae do not last long enough, it is better to get worms (AKA maggots), they last twice as long. With six Chams, 2,000 flies would put some serious tongue wear on my herd. I find 500 actually the right amount so I don't waste any. If I read the Forked Tree Ranch site correctly, the minimum is 3 cups of 1700 each. That be a lot of flies!

Nick

I am bumping this thread to ask a few BB-Fly novice questions.

Once I have set up the mantisplace cup-of-flies with some maggots, the food and the water source and close it up, do I need to do anything else to get the maggots to pupate? And is there an approximate time frame this process takes?

After hearing the above stories I am starting off with a "small trail batch of maggots" to see how this all works out. No need to fatten the cham up more than I already do. :)

Thanks in Advance.

In the Cup-O-Flies, put maggots in one cup, sugar/milk mix in one cup, and water cubes in the third cup. At room temperature the maggots turn to pupae in a few days, and then the pupae into flies in a few more. Hotter=quicker.:D

nick

I would like to know once you get the initial maggots can you start colonizing your own flies like you can with the fruit flies? Do they sell the kits where you can do this or isn't it feasible.?

You can go to spiderpharm.com, he sells a kit for houseflies, kind of a net type enclosure. The trick is to find a food that will bring the BB flies to full cycle.:D

Nick

So I take it only the maggots eat the milk/sugar mixture, not the adults? I want to try these. I am wary of trying house flies because of infestation concerns. As it is I am battling some kind of grain eating moths for the last few months. My wife is convinced I brought them in with one of my feeders.

So I take it only the maggots eat the milk/sugar mixture, not the adults? I want to try these. I am wary of trying house flies because of infestation concerns. As it is I am battling some kind of grain eating moths for the last few months. My wife is convinced I brought them in with one of my feeders.

adults also eat those.
i wouldn't worry too much on the infestation problem.
Put them in a fridge (not freezer) about 2 minutes before feeding.
They will pass out. So, collect them, dust them, and dump them in the cage.
As soon as they warmup, they will regain consciousness and start flying again.
And, see your chameleons get excited hunting for them.

I have a product that can be sprayed on the container and shelves where u have a mite or moth problem. it cannot be sprayed right on the feeders, but any container they are on or around, it last till dried and takes care of a number of pests, and is safe to use as whenit dries it is not something they can carry around on them.

Maggots don't eat anything, they go dormant in the refrigerator, The powdered milk/powdered sugar is for the adult flies. Grain eating moths that are about 1/2 inch long and light beige colored come in to homes via any grains that have the eggs in them. Bird food was the culprit in my case, so I store my birdfood out side now!:D

Nick

Back
Top Bottom