Repticon questions!

tbarthelmess

I just bought tickets for repticon this weekend. Is this a god place to buy a chameleon? I just lost Bruna almost a week ago, and was going to wait a while before trying again- but maybe this is fate to buy now??????
If not repticon- then where is the best place to buy a panther?
Bruna was a female panther and I got her from screameleons. I was thinking of going male this time????
Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

I wrote this up some time ago about purchasing a chameleon at a reptile show, it might be useful: http://muchadoaboutchameleons.blogspot.com/2012/07/use-caution-when-buying-chameleons-from.html

It should give you an idea of what to look for and what to avoid. You can usually spot the difference between a vendor/flipper and a breeder, because the breeder will usually have one type/species of reptile for sale, know a lot about their care, and house them with more attention to their needs than someone who just flips lots of species for profit.

Kammerflage kreations, hands down best panthers. Check their website out. They are incredibly helpful and know so much about panthers. I'm in the market for a panther myself. I'll be buying from them. Just waiting for the right one to jump out and say buy me!

Buying from expos has its ups and down. You get to see the animals in person so you know what your getting and a lot of the time they are cheaper at show (but not with everything).

I second what Olimpia mentioned about flippers. Not saying there all bad and i'm not going to bash anyone. But just keep an eye out. A sad fact that we all have to deal with is there are quite a few who are all about the money and not so much about the well being of the animals.

Best advice I have is once you come across a panther that really catches your eye talk with the vendor. Also i'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. If its really cheap there's a reason.

Thanks so much for all the great information! I am looking forward to the show and will let you know my thoughts! and or if I make a purchase!

At the very least just have lots of fun :) I love going to shows. I always end up talking with half the vendors, taking photos of the more unusual critters, and leave with a new piece of gear or two. And sometimes if I'm lucky I meet up with a forum member or two and talk shop for a little bit.

I went to Repticon today in Raleigh, NC. It was a lot of fun, but not a place I would buy my next cham from. I was looking for a booth that was all about chameleons- but there was not one. The ones that were there were a great price- but I didn't care for the people selling them. This one guy was pulling the shed skin off of a baby veiled, and then put a male panther in with another male panther to make their colors "pop"!
My kids had a great time and wanted to bring home all kinds of reptiles! So- I am still getting over the loss of my sweet Bruna, but have decided to wait a few months before purchasing again. I will be keeping my eyes out for senior members that are breeding, or go to one of the online sites!
Thanks for all the wonderful information!!!!

The dealer I bought from was really great and came with a reference from another person. All of the chams were in separate cages and being misted by his assistant. There was a female who looked stressed out and fell off a vine in front of me, but thinking of it now she had just been misted and was fake plastic vines. However all the chams looked healthy. He wasn't caging any of them together and had panels between each so they couldn't see one another. However I wish I would of bought a CB baby from flchams. :/ breeders is def the way to go.

It would have been fun to buy some new feeders at the show- if only I wasn't chameleon less. They had all kinds of worms and roaches that I have not been able to find in the stores here in Raleigh.

If you want a good private breeder contact trd1215, he is in Florida. Im not sure if he has anything going right now but his chams are very nice and at great prices. My ambilobe panther came from him and it was a pleasure working with him, from reserving my cham to getting pics and shipping, nothing but smooth sailing.

Jose

I bought my chameleon from rob at midwestdubia.com
My panther chameleon is in great shape, coloring up very nicely for his age, and pretty large. I was very pleased with him. He has great prices and is very helpful.
He also gives discount on dubia roaches when you buy a chameleon, I think you can include like fifty or something like that. Everything is very professional, I am very satisfied.
Check him out

Check out The Jungle Panther on Facebook. The breeders name is Steve. He works with Ambilobe, Nosy faly, and Nosey Be...He currently has 2-4 month old babies from all three locales and his panthers are top notch...All four of my panthers came from him, and Django, my 8 month old Ambilobe male is one of the nicest looking male Amilobes around in my opinion..

Back
Top Bottom