Looking for guidance on my veiled chameleon

qshleigh

Hi guys, just opened this account as I’m looking for some guidance on my veiled chameleon. I bought Jeremy home on September 20th and he was around 8 - 10 weeks old (I have videos and photos if needed) and he’s been perfectly fine, shedding normally and being extremely friendly and healthy up until about a week or two ago when his behaviour started to concern me.

I noticed that when I’d been feeding him, he’d start to be a lot slower in catching in his food, almost refusing to move. When he would move for it, it would be too late and the insects would’ve moved themselves away. I also noticed he was missing them a lot with his tongue, whereas before he’d had no problem with it. Around 5ish days ago he’d refused to eat anything so I made sure I’d kept his humidity up and kept an eye on him. He slept through the night perfectly fine but the following day I found him laying on the ground, completely black and beginning to close his eyes almost as if he’d just given up. He’d never expressed this behaviour before whatsoever, and when I took him out his viv to make sure he was okay, instead of turning his usual vivid green colours he was a dark darkish brown colour and wouldn’t come near me at first (Usually he is all over me exploring and climbing, he’s lovely and docile and very friendly. He hardly ever blows up his chin and is always pleased to be taken out of his viv.) Since this happened, he’s been sleeping on the floor of his vivarium or extremely close to it instead of on top of his branches and leaves like he usually does;(.

I also noticed that he’s been especially dedicated to one spot in his vivarium. I had my sister keep an eye on him when I had to go out and when she’d checked on him, he’d dug straight to the bottom back right of his tank and was on his back, almost as if he’d lodged himself down there again. (This was the same spot I found him when he was giving up.) It seems as though he keeps going back to it, no matter how many times I relay his substrate, he’s always down the same place. But like I say, I do always attempt to maintain a good, healthy and balanced humidity for him.

He also displayed signs of sneezing or coughing? By this I mean his whole body kind of twitches and jumps like he’s hiccuping and I’ve heard him make tiny noises like a sneeze but I’ve never heard him hiss or many any other peep whatsoever.

I think it’s time for me to resize his vivarium soon, but despite that he’s been displaying these behaviours and it’s seriously worrying me. My mom got him eating yesterday and Wednesday, but since he’s been off his food he’s had 4 worms in total and I really hope this is a phase he’s going through because I’ve searched and searched and I don’t know what is going on with him. If somebody could help me or advise me then I’d really appreciate it. Thank you.

Hi and welcome. :) Let’s start with some current pics of Jeremy and his entire enclosure, including lights. Pics of the supplements you use and how often for each will also help get things started. Me or whomever will be helping you will be asking lots of questions and it would be much faster and easier if you can answer the following the best you can (copy & paste).
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi and welcome. :) Let’s start with some current pics of Jeremy and his entire enclosure, including lights. Pics of the supplements you use and how often for each will also help get things started. Me or whomever will be helping you will be asking lots of questions and it would be much faster and easier if you can answer the following the best you can (copy & paste).
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Hiya, I replied on my other post:).

Hello! I just wanted to say welcome! I would assist with the husbandry review but I can’t find it. Can you link here it for me?

Back
Top Bottom