Grumpy Colin..

Barbs22

Morning,
I’ve had my veiled chameleon a little over a week now. He settled in nicely and lets us handle him without causing him stress. He eats well, drinks well a 💩 well.
Today, he’s so grumpy?! Or is he stressed?
He’s puffing his beard and opening his mouth when I put my hands in his Viv. He’s currently walked to a branch closer to the front and just watching my every move.
I did have a little move around of plants last night, just made them higher and where he’s growing I’ve needed to make branches more secure. Could this have just pissed him off?
His Viv temp and everything is normal and how it should be.
I wanted to clean his Viv out this eve but now thinking I should leave it a day or two as I don’t want to upset him more?
Any advice would be gratifying received.
Many thanks xx
Added photos of our Colin. (He looks a little darker in photos)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 21
Morning,
I’ve had my veiled chameleon a little over a week now. He settled in nicely and lets us handle him without causing him stress. He eats well, drinks well a 💩 well.
Today, he’s so grumpy?! Or is he stressed?
He’s puffing his beard and opening his mouth when I put my hands in his Viv. He’s currently walked to a branch closer to the front and just watching my every move.
I did have a little move around of plants last night, just made them higher and where he’s growing I’ve needed to make branches more secure. Could this have just pissed him off?
His Viv temp and everything is normal and how it should be.
I wanted to clean his Viv out this eve but now thinking I should leave it a day or two as I don’t want to upset him more?
Any advice would be gratifying received.
Many thanks xx
Added photos of our Colin. (He looks a little darker in photos)
Hey There!

Handsome looking cham you got there!

Can you maybe post a picture of the entire setup? What are you using for lighting at the moment? I see some fake plants in the enclosure, this can be dangerous as veiled chameleons are known to nibble on plants!

Hello and welcome! @DutchChams gave you some great advice so far! Chameleons are rather shy creatures and if you try to view things from their perspective we are giant scary hairless apes that keep poking out head and hands in their home...maybe trying to eat them....they don't know... ;)

Take things slow with your cham, be patient and build trust. Most of us on here at best are lucky if our chameleons will eat a bug from our hands. Most chameleon's do not enjoy or want to be handled, unfortunately.

If you are open to doing a husbandry review one of us on here will happily go over it for you. Chameleon's are quite hearty if you have their husbandry down just right and there is a lot of incorrect information out there. I'm going to tag some experienced people here to help with the review in case you do fill one out and I am not able to get to it quickly as my personal life has been a little busy lately.... @Beman @MissSkittles

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

Back
Top Bottom