Pregnancy and reptiles...

blschultz

So I found out that I am pregnant. I know that many reptiles can carry salmonella and I was just wondering if I have anything to worry about. I love my chameleons but I would never want to harm my baby.

i have never heard that dealing with your reptiles can harm an unborn child, just to be safe you want to follow the guidelines you always should with reptiles, washing hands throughly after handling and cleaning, dont lick them (lol) and just keep their enclosures clean like normal in my opinion :)
and congratulations!!!!! :D

I agree, I smelt my Chameleon the other day, [he was under my nose] he smelt like nothing! haha, omg when he poops though :mad::mad::mad::mad::confused::confused: I'm like wtff is that smell hahaha!

But yeah I think your baby will be amazed by your other baby ;) I would hope he will be mezmerized by him when hes born, with one another! BFFS for every! haha!

good luck!

Laurie,

thank you for this, I found it very helpful I have a pregnate friend who considered handleing (but I talked her out of it, as I and my significant other are the only ones to handle Kilo!!! EVER!!!)

I am even paying the baby sitter extra to NOT touch him when I go away for a week this summer. I'm so petrifed that someone will rip a legg off, or damage him
O V E R P R O T E C T I N G WILL PAYOFF!

Hello there:) a new baby is on the way. That is wonderful. You are ok with your cham. Here is a link where another member also had those same questions. She is due any day now!!!:):)

https://www.chameleonforums.com/chams-babies-advice-please-90817/

Aren't babies more susceptible to salmonella though? I mean once they are born until they are one is the most crucial and then till they are five they can still get it easier than an adult bc of their undeveloped immune systems? I am asking bc I have heard that, and the same thing about like really old people, in my anatomy and physiology class.

babies are more susceptible to anything when they are really young yes but if you are taking the proper precautions you can easily have reptiles and babies in the same home. it seems to me that cats and dogs pose more of a risk then reptiles because they are running around the house and slobbering and pooping and peeing everywhere whereas reptiles are contained. but people have successfully kept cats, dogs, reptiles, birds, and all other kinds of animals with children in the house with no issues. as long as you keep everything clean, keep yourself clean in between touching animals and the child things will be fine :) babies get their immune system from their moms in breast milk and begin developing their own fairly quickly. in my opinion if you care for yourself and your animals properly everything will be fine!!!

I've heard of not touching turtles but not chams. My 11 month old loves seeing(not touching) our chams and snakes... Goes wild for them and we haven't had an issue yet :).

Congrats on the baby as well.

When I was pregnant with my son in 2008, I was told by my Dr. to keep handling to a minimum and to wash thoroughly with anti-bacterial soap if I did handle my Cham. Needless to say I had previously had a couple miscarriages before this pregnancy so my hubby forbade me (lol) to go near my Cham for 8 months! Hubby isn't a Cham lover but I made sure he 'loved' my Cham for those months he wouldn't let me near her!

Good luck, go with your instinct and what your Dr. says...AND, CONGRATULATIONS!! :)

Back
Top Bottom