Panther and his lack of humidity

Hello World!

So Jefe the Chameleon has a planted cage with a 1 ft planted tub that has a small blueberry, a mulberry, a hanging golden pothos, a grape plant, and a small little thing on the bottom and the soil is made up of coco husk, lugarti soil, and whatever I couldn't get off of the plants. There are TONS of red wigglers, isopods, and spring-tails. Don't worry he does not eat the dirt nor does he ever go to the bottom of his cage. He seems to be having dryness issues with his screen cage. (24x24x48 inches). His eyes always look as if he is dehydrated (meaning that one or more seems a little sunk in and yes I am giving him vitamins). He almost always has some stuck shed on him and a few of the little horns on his spin kinda wobble as if they are going to break off (idk what that is but I thought I'd mention it). I bought an automatic misting system and I plan to set it up but I am thinking of getting one of those 36x18x36 exo terra terrariums to see if that helps contain humidity and water for him to drink.

He doesn't use much of his cage besides the top and I thought that the foot less of height would not bother him (he is an adult btw) as like I mentioned earlier he never really moves more than a foot and a half down from the top.

I plan on using lugarti and reptisoil for the bottom of the cage and covering the dirt with lots of small plants and maybe moss. There will also be hanging plants from mag natural ledges and there will be mag naturals fake vines.

What do you guys think of a move to the exo terra? Is it worth it? I just feel that he would be happier with more humidity.

What about a humidifier to go along with the mister? I feed one into a piece of PVC pipe that's the width of the cage. I capped one end and drilled holes in the pipe so it distributes the fog nicely. In a regular 24x24x48 screen cage I find can hold the ambient humidity high enough, in conjunction with the mister going off a few times a day.

I just recently got to ficus plants few months ago and I noticed it helped the humidity a little bit, but up north it's really dry and my humidity is usually 20 to 30%.

I would see what the automatic misting system does for your humidity before you spend more on another cage. If money is no object then go for it, they look awesome.

Back
Top Bottom