New Veiled owner (some ?'s)

JimNPHX

Hello everyone,

My name is Jim and I am in Phoenix Arizona. I am a (first time) new owner of 2 (male/female) Veiled chams. I purchased them from Mike at FLCHAM, who was a great help with everything, especially all my questions. I feel it is time that I get my feet wet in this forum and stop bugging him! :)
Here are my facts:
Per Mike both chams are roughly 5 months old, with the male a couple of weeks older and a little bigger.
Each of their cages are set up the same:
24"x24"x36" all screen cage
(1) 24" Reptisun 10.0 (long tube) sits on top of cage with no glass cover
(1) clamp on fixture w/75 watt bulb that is at top of cage * bulb is approximately 10" from top of screen and 20-25" from first resting/sunning branch (male's top branch is 20" & female's top branch is 25"). Digital therm reading was 98 degrees at 20" branch and 95 degrees at 25" branch.
(2) Pothos plants

I do not have an automated misting system so I have been spraying the cages multiple times a day. The humidity is still low and I am working on that.
Today I offered both some water in a spoon and the female took a few sips but the male did not do anything. **Neither looks dehydrated! Unless I am wrong with my evaluation . . .
Also, neither likes to be sprayed or misted.

I usually have the Reptisun light on for around 12 hours and the heat bulb a little less. (Do not want to turn on/off all at the same time.

I have been feeding crickets and mealworms as their diet. Crickets are the large size you get at Petco/Petsmart (about the length of a quarter), and the mealworms are bought at the same place(s). So far I have been feeding about 6-8 crickets a day and use the worms as a supplement if I am low or out of crickets. I usually only buy a few days worth so i just have been dropping in a piece of fruit to feed the crickets. (I have not decided how I want to handle feeder supply.)

Their fecal matter is both the same. 2 parts, smaller white and larger dark color, both parts are solid. I have not been able to observe them defecating so I do not know whether they are struggling or not.

Both chams arrived healthy and hungry on Tuesday 10/2. The female seems more acclimated to her new surroundings and does not spoke by my presence as much as the male. She also seems to keep her shade/color of green throughout the day and night.
The male is a lot different. He is not as sociable (although I have not attempted to touch/pick-up either), and he darkens up a lot during the eve/night and sometimes during the day. Every now and then he shows a colorful green with shades of yellow, but for the most part is dark. He also molted on Thursday 10/4.
* The male spends a lot more time near the heat bulb than the female, and also likes to be closer to the bulb than the female.

I think I have covered everything but if anyone needs to know more please ask.

Here are my questions:

Are the crickets too big? When the chams take them about half the cricket sticks out of their mouth until they work it in.
Does this sound like a good diet and amount?

What is the best way to handle them? (I want to start recording their growth rates/weight and for physical exams.)
Should I let them settle in longer before I handle them?
Best way to pick up?

Although they are in separate cages they are right next to each other. Should I hang some sort of curtain between the 2 cages? (Yes I do plan on breeding them when they are older.)

Can I get away with just buying one misting system for both cages? If so any suggestions? I have seen Pro-Mist get a lot of talk here.

Is my lighting times appropriate? I also want to get timers for the lights. Would a dimer work with the florescent fixture? If not, is it that important for the heat bulb?

Well I think I asked enough for now. I do not want to wear-out my welcome! :)

I try to read as much as possible here and elsewhere online. I also have the "Chameleons Care and Breeding book by Ferguson, Kalisch. (I'm a full-time student so been pretty busy with mid-terms :D

I will try to post picks soon. Which is the best/easiest way to post them?

Finally: Anyone here in AZ?

Thanks

Jim

don't grab them, put your hand under there chin and gently calmly trick them them to walk on, if you make a habit of trying to swiftly pick them up, they will make a habit of swiftly running away and making your job hard as hell

Last edited:
The crix are fine as long as they are swallowed.

Let them grasp your fingers like they would a tree branch.

Hang a curtain otherwise they can become stressed.

I stick with drippers(milk jug with pin hole in bottom) and hand spraying. Misting systems aren't free.

Your light time is fine. Some people keep it at 12 all year. Other's change time with season. When my cham is sleeping before the light goes out I change the light time to accommodate. I had it set to go out at 7, he goes to sleep about 6 , so I changed it to 6.

If you have a south bound window you wont need a heat light, at least I don't and I live in Colorado, you shouldn't cause you live in Arizona. I open the window for him so he can catch some rays. I'd recommend getting a mercury vapor lamp. Look what sunlight and a mercury vapor lamp did to my 3 month 2 week old ambilobe panther. Note: Dimmers don't work for MV Lamps.

I use a humidifier any time it gets below 60%.

As for posting pics I use.
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/
click resize image, change to 320x 240. upload.
Copy and paste the forum or message board section into text.

Hello everyone,
My name is Jim and I am in Phoenix Arizona. I am a (first time) new owner of 2 (male/female) Veiled chams. I purchased them from Mike at FLCHAM, who was a great help with everything, especially all my questions. I feel it is time that I get my feet wet in this forum and stop bugging him! :)

Welcome to the club... Mike is a great guy even tho he is from FL... :)

Here are my facts:
Per Mike both chams are roughly 5 months old, with the male a couple of weeks older and a little bigger.
Each of their cages are set up the same:
24"x24"x36" all screen cage
(1) 24" Reptisun 10.0 (long tube) sits on top of cage with no glass cover
(1) clamp on fixture w/75 watt bulb that is at top of cage * bulb is approximately 10" from top of screen and 20-25" from first resting/sunning branch (male's top branch is 20" & female's top branch is 25"). Digital therm reading was 98 degrees at 20" branch and 95 degrees at 25" branch.
(2) Pothos plants

Sounds good... How big are the plants? You want them to be rather large for a cage of that size

I do not have an automated misting system so I have been spraying the cages multiple times a day. The humidity is still low and I am working on that.
Today I offered both some water in a spoon and the female took a few sips but the male did not do anything. **Neither looks dehydrated! Unless I am wrong with my evaluation . . .
Also, neither likes to be sprayed or misted.

Most of us do it by hand... And even less chams like to get misted... Them getting all pissed off is normal...

I usually have the Reptisun light on for around 12 hours and the heat bulb a little less. (Do not want to turn on/off all at the same time.

I have been feeding crickets and mealworms as their diet. Crickets are the large size you get at Petco/Petsmart (about the length of a quarter), and the mealworms are bought at the same place(s). So far I have been feeding about 6-8 crickets a day and use the worms as a supplement if I am low or out of crickets. I usually only buy a few days worth so i just have been dropping in a piece of fruit to feed the crickets. (I have not decided how I want to handle feeder supply.)

good... you would be MUCH better off to get your bugs in bulk from a place like Cricket Factory or others... You will pay 10.00 per 1000 and only have to order once every few weeks... MUCH better that going to petco all the time.

Both chams arrived healthy and hungry on Tuesday 10/2. The female seems more acclimated to her new surroundings and does not spoke by my presence as much as the male. She also seems to keep her shade/color of green throughout the day and night.
The male is a lot different. He is not as sociable (although I have not attempted to touch/pick-up either), and he darkens up a lot during the eve/night and sometimes during the day. Every now and then he shows a colorful green with shades of yellow, but for the most part is dark. He also molted on Thursday 10/4
* The male spends a lot more time near the heat bulb than the female, and also likes to be closer to the bulb than the female..

All normal... Some chams are ALOT more social than others... Some will seem like they hate you... ALOT :D

Are the crickets too big? When the chams take them about half the cricket sticks out of their mouth until they work it in.
Does this sound like a good diet and amount?

The rule of thumb is that the bug should not be larger than the size between its eyes...

What is the best way to handle them? (I want to start recording their growth rates/weight and for physical exams.)
Should I let them settle in longer before I handle them?
Best way to pick up?

Put your hand under and herd it onto it with the other hand... Or use a stick.

Although they are in separate cages they are right next to each other. Should I hang some sort of curtain between the 2 cages? (Yes I do plan on breeding them when they are older.)

Yes, it is better if they dont see one another.

Can I get away with just buying one misting system for both cages? If so any suggestions? I have seen Pro-Mist get a lot of talk here.

A member of the forum... LaserGecko is going to come out with a new mister soon that will be much more cheap... get one of thems!

Is my lighting times appropriate? I also want to get timers for the lights. Would a dimer work with the florescent fixture? If not, is it that important for the heat bulb?

All lights need to be off... not dim... get a power strip and pulg that into a timer. then all the lights into the strip

Well I think I asked enough for now. I do not want to wear-out my welcome! :)

Pshhh reading this gives me something to do at work... Most welcome questions

I will try to post picks soon. Which is the best/easiest way to post them?

www.photobucket.com then copy and paste the link...

Finally: Anyone here in AZ

Dont think so...

Whew... I think I got em all :D

Vegas Chad you said to order crickets from cricket factory by bulk 10 for 1000 how do u keep them alive how much is shipping. what do u keep them in. anything else i need to know cuz im buying crix for 1$ for 12. so i need bulk.

UVB Bulb

Hi there!

I am going to get my first cham (veiled) this coming Sat!! UHU!!!

I have a question on lighting: I see Jim is using a 24" Reptisun 10.. I was advised to get an 18" and 5.0?

My little cage is 18"x18"X36" and the big one (I will move him after he is about 5ish month) is 32"x32"X48"...

And on another note, for the heat bulb, I have the ceramic fixture that glows in the dark (for about 1 hour or so). I didn't realize that was what I ordered... should I get the one that doesn't glow?

Thanks!
Roberto

I use an 18" Zoomed Reptisun 10.0 on my 24X24X48 screen cage for my adult male Veiled with no issues. I would say raise it several inches off of the top of the cage if your chameleon is very close to the top or hangs off the top of the cage. My Big male Veiled sits at least 10" from the UVB light and not usually directly under it.

Roberto-yes-get a simple clamp lamp with a regular household lightbulb. They associate light with basking heat.

Chad-there is nothing wrong with Florida people! :)

If you have a south bound window you wont need a heat light, at least I don't and I live in Colorado, you shouldn't cause you live in Arizona. I open the window for him so he can catch some rays. I'd recommend getting a mercury vapor lamp. Look what sunlight and a mercury vapor lamp did to my 3 month 2 week old ambilobe panther. Note: Dimmers don't work for MV Lamps.

I use a humidifier any time it gets below 60%.

As for posting pics I use.
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/
click resize image, change to 320x 240. upload.
Copy and paste the forum or message board section into text.

I wouldn't go with a mercury vapor bulb, I was told these are potentailly bad for the chams for sunburn and over uvb....

Vegas Chad you said to order crickets from cricket factory by bulk 10 for 1000 how do u keep them alive how much is shipping. what do u keep them in. anything else i need to know cuz im buying crix for 1$ for 12. so i need bulk.

Shipping from him to me is about 10 bucks... Look around for a bug man that is closer to you... Might get a better deal with shipping... Check out BugCo... They look to have some good deals...
I keep them alive by putting them into tubs and feeding them... Keep them warm, give them food and water and they will live just fine... Bulk is TOTALLY the way to go... Even if you do have to keep them in your house... You will save TONS of money.

Shipping from him to me is about 10 bucks... Look around for a bug man that is closer to you... Might get a better deal with shipping... Check out BugCo... They look to have some good deals...
I keep them alive by putting them into tubs and feeding them... Keep them warm, give them food and water and they will live just fine... Bulk is TOTALLY the way to go... Even if you do have to keep them in your house... You will save TONS of money.

Ok can u take pics of ur setups for the crix. and what do u feed how do u keep them warm. do they stink. ineed basic info. ive never ordered bulk. do they grow big fast.

All it is... is a tub... 10gal glass tank that you can get from pet co or walmart for like 10 bucks... Slap a heating pad under it, or a heat bulb... Or whatever... I keep mine at reptile room temp which is in the 80's... They do stink a lil, but if you keep them clean it is not bad... When I get LOTS of them they stink but 1000 a time is not so bad. I feed them greens and a gut load I got from some place... I will water them with gel if I dont forget... They get alot of water from the greens that I feed em. Its really easy...

Welcome Jim :)

Welcome to the forum Jim! Looks like you have gotten a lot of great advise. And thanks for providing everyone with all that info about your situation so they can answer your questions efficiently! The only thing I can add is about the crickets. I would definitely order in quantity so you can keep and gutload them yourself. I've had to go to Petco to get some of their bulk crickets when something happened to my own weekly cricket delivery. Petco made the mistake (a lucky one for me) of letting me see where they keep their crickets. It grossed me out. It was very unsanitary looking. It looked like they just poured one batch on top of another batch that was on top of another batch, etc. I doubt that they ever did a real clean out of the container (large garbage can) with disinfectant. Ever since I've worried about what kind of bacteria, etc. their crickets could be carrying. I'm not saying every store is like this, but I like to know that the crickets I feed my precious chams are healthy and bacteria free. Can't wait to see pictures of your Veileds :)

I wouldn't go with a mercury vapor bulb, I was told these are potentailly bad for the chams for sunburn and over uvb....

My lamp is 18 inches away. It never gets above 90 degrees and he has never been sunburned. I was actually recommended buy the breeder I got my cham from to get these lamps because of the good experiences he has had from using them. What kind of cham do you own?

Here are some pics (and more questions)

Hello again! Hopefully I am able to upload pictures correctly so you will see my kids! :)

My new set of questions are:

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use for gut loading the crickets?

This may be included in the answer to above question but . . . as for dusting, is it just for calcium or do you include some sort of vitamin/supplement, and how often?

My previous question about light dimmers was to have them slowly come on instead of immediate bright! I did not want to dim them and have on all night.
Is the dimming even worth it?

Thanks

Jim

Male on the day he arrived
JimNPHX

Female on day she arrived
JimNPHX

Male on 10-8
JimNPHX

Male on 10-10
http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff109/JimNPHX/?action=view&current=Male10-10.jpg

Female 10-10
JimNPHX

Female posing
JimNPHX

Cage
JimNPHX

OK I did not do the pics correctly!

Any advice on how to get them directly in the post? I tried to copy/paste but it would not let me.

Thanks

Jim

Back
Top Bottom