New Veiled Chameleon

r.a.n.g.o

Hello everyone!!

My last chameleon sadly passed away after getting a respiratory infection. I have recently gotten a new one (randall) after reading a lot more and I guess I am just looking for advice/reassurance to make sure my boy.. or girl.. is gonna live a happy life.

I have a 24x24x48 reptibreeze enclosure. The basking bulb is I believe 75W and is about 6 inches above the highest point in his cage. I have a strip t5 uvb. It is 8W. This is one thing that I could not find good information on. I saw a lot of mixed reviews about t8 and t5 and then I could not find what wattage it should be. In Rango's cage (my last chameleon) I had a uvb bulb which I know now are not sufficient.

I have also got an automatic mister. Rango was severely dehydrated, unfortunately. I would mist his cage, heavily, 3 times a day but it wasnt nearly enough. I have the mister set to every 2 hours for 80 seconds.

I have golden pathos and a mass cane with branches for him to climb on.

I live in Florida so the humidity is pretty high. It usually stays around 80-90 during the day and drops to 70-75 at night.

Picture attached of the enclosure. I think it needs more things for him to climb on. How do yall get those things that hang on the side?? Last time I used zip ties to hang plants and it wasnt very sturdy.

I got him on Sunday and I haven't seen him eat. I have seen fresh poops, they look healthy. Ive been putting dusted crickets in his cage and I don't see them jumping around anymore so he probably just eats when I am not looking. What kind of vitamins/dusting regimends should I be doing? With Rango, I dusted with calcium 3 times a week and did a vitamin mixture (I cannot remember the brand name right now.. it was a brownish/pinkish powder) once a week. When I took Rango to the vet, she said he did not have MBD so I felt that I was doing good with the calcium but would like to hear yalls thoughts.

Also attaching a picture of my boy/girl... trying to see if anyone can guess his age? much smaller than when I got Rango.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0602.jpeg
    IMG_0602.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 13
Congrats! 🎊🎉 I hope you have a great time with your cham. Welcome to the forum! If you need any help just holler. What’s her name?
Here are some links if you need help with husbandry: Chameleon Academy ~ YouTube ~ Neptune The Chameleon ~ YouTube
Here are some links for food and supplies: Food ~ Food as well ~ Leap Supplies ~ Arcadia
And here is a link for some discounts: Neptune the Chameleon Discount
Enjoy your new chameleon!😊

It could take up to 2 weeks for a new chameleon to get settled into their new home. During that time you want to give your cham space, no handling, and you don’t really want them to see you just staring at them. You want them to have a good first impression in their new home. I did this with my cham and he has settled in perfectly. Here are 2 video links that you should watch for when you get your new chameleon: Chameleon Academy Neptune the Chameleon 💗

Will you post pictures of your new cham’s back feet so I can look for tarsal spurs? This is a small bump that will determine whether you have a boy or a girl. Knowing this will have an easier time guessing the age.

1710290635700.jpeg
Tarsal spurs look like this. This means it is a male.

Just to ensure that all your husbandry is spot on will you fill out this husbandry form please. I want the best for you and your chameleon! But from what you said all the changes look great except that the temperatures are a bit high and the supplementations. Basking should be around 80 and daytime around 70-75. Nighttime should be okay with anything from 65-55 maybe. If I missed anything I’m sure someone will chime in or I will realize in the husbandry review.😊

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Last edited:
Welcome! Only a couple things stood out to me. The wattage of your t5 should be atleast 22. You want the bulb to span the width of your enclosure. Daytime humidity is a bit high. You can use a small computer fan to help with this. For supplements: calcium without d3 at every feeding and then twice a month use a multivitamin. I suggest repashy loD or reptivite with d3. If you fill out the husbandry form, someone can go into detail and make sure everything is just perfect for you and your new baby! So glad to have you both here!

Back
Top Bottom