Need help ASAP! Chameleon squeaking and opening mouth

okay I’ve done everything everybody has told me to, removed all harmful products and fed him smaller food. However as of today his problems persist. At night he closes one eye I’ve just noticed. the squeaking and open mouth have persisted. I wonder if I’m keeping the light on too long the sun has been setting here at 6 but i keep the light on til 8. Should i completely get rid of the Chameleon kit day time light? I have both on and raised up at all times. He just sits at the top, points his head up at the light and opens his mouth to squeak.
If the eye issue was caused by lighting or supplement issues, sometimes it can take a bit of time to fully resolve. It is normal for them to get into their ‘sleeping spot‘ and get ready to go to sleep and sometimes close their eyes a little before lights actually turn off. If they are closing eyes during the daytime, this is the cause for concern.

My guy recently was closing one eye off and on, it turned out to be a humidity issue. What is your humidity at?

As long as you’re doing 12 hours on and 12 off for the lights, it should be ok.

The squeaking and holding the head up can be signs of respiratory infections. Can you share a photo or video of the little one doing this?

Also I’m beginning to run out of money
I feel you. I had the same issue when I first got mine. Everything I already had for him was wrong. It sucks. BUT you got the light corrected and that’s the big expense. The only other big expense I really see you needing to upgrade is cage size. But your sweetie is still little and can be ok for a bit without it. I would get it as soon as you can, but it isn’t going to kill her if you have to wait. My guy was full grown when I got him. I upgraded everything but the enclosure size at first. Had to wait 2 months before I could. But I can tell you he is sooo much happier and active with it.

Some things can be done cheaply. Get branches from outside for free instead of buying vines for climbing. As long as they don’t have sap, any branches will do. Thermometers and hygrometers as well as heat bulbs do not have to be ‘reptile’ branded. Regular incandescent light bulbs (not LED) can be used for heat bulbs. And sometimes people here are offering up supplies for super cheap as well. If you are handy, you can even build your own enclosure. Lots of us do that and there are threads in the enclosure section showing how.

Sorry for the long post, I just want to assure you that we have all been there and are here to help as much as we can.

Ya baby needs a vet appointment asap if you are still seeing the open mouth and squeak noise. If it’s an RI then by the time they are ‘star gazing’ the infection is going strong.

I feel you. I had the same issue when I first got mine. Everything I already had for him was wrong. It sucks. BUT you got the light corrected and that’s the big expense. The only other big expense I really see you needing to upgrade is cage size. But your sweetie is still little and can be ok for a bit without it. I would get it as soon as you can, but it isn’t going to kill her if you have to wait. My guy was full grown when I got him. I upgraded everything but the enclosure size at first. Had to wait 2 months before I could. But I can tell you he is sooo much happier and active with it.

Some things can be done cheaply. Get branches from outside for free instead of buying vines for climbing. As long as they don’t have sap, any branches will do. Thermometers and hygrometers as well as heat bulbs do not have to be ‘reptile’ branded. Regular incandescent light bulbs (not LED) can be used for heat bulbs. And sometimes people here are offering up supplies for super cheap as well. If you are handy, you can even build your own enclosure. Lots of us do that and there are threads in the enclosure section showing how.

Sorry for the long post, I just want to assure you that we have all been there and are here to help as much as we can.
If you are in the US, look for appliance bulbs. Appliance bulbs are still incandescent. The US has shifted to LED bulbs making incandescent bulbs hard to find.

okay I’ve done everything everybody has told me to, removed all harmful products and fed him smaller food. However as of today his problems persist. At night he closes one eye I’ve just noticed. the squeaking and open mouth have persisted. I wonder if I’m keeping the light on too long the sun has been setting here at 6 but i keep the light on til 8. Should i completely get rid of the Chameleon kit day time light? I have both on and raised up at all times. He just sits at the top, points his head up at the light and opens his mouth to squeak.
So as I put in my prior post the concern is a respiratory infection. These are deadly for them and have to be treated with oral antibiotics. So since you are sill seeing gaping and hearing noises this means a vet trip. And you need a vet that has at the minimum reptile experience.

Back
Top Bottom