New Veiled owner (some ?'s)

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use for gut loading the crickets?

I use a variety of items such as: Pre-purchased dry gutload along with colard greens, apples, carrots and sweet potatoes. I also put in water crystals but those might not be needed if you have the fresh veggies (but you will need them if you only have the dry gutload).

This may be included in the answer to above question but . . . as for dusting, is it just for calcium or do you include some sort of vitamin/supplement, and how often?

The best thing is to purchase 3 different types: One is Calcium WITHOUT D3 for amost every feeding, then you get a Calcium WITH D3 for 2-3 times a month and Mineral for 2-3 times a month.

My previous question about light dimmers was to have them slowly come on instead of immediate bright! I did not want to dim them and have on all night. Is the dimming even worth it?

Personally I find it very easy to just have the lights on a timer to come on at XXX time and off at XXX time (13 hours). I don't worry about dimming and I don't have ANY light on at night (there is already ambient light from the house and outside anyway even if that would matter).

Pics - Take 2

Let's try it again . . .
Sorry, can't get the first one to resize down (Thanks Dave for the tip)

Thanks everyone for the advice

Male when he arrived 10/2
Male10-2.jpg

Female when she arrived
Female10-2.jpg

Male on 10/8
Male10-8.jpg

Male 10/10
Male10-10.jpg

Female 10/10
Female10-10.jpg

Female posing
Femaleposing.jpg

Cage (I have 2 cages set up similar)
Cage10-10.jpg

Thanks for the pictures.......

Thanks for sharing your pictures.....Your male is so funny (not looking). He's got the slinking away look in one picture and the flat as a pancake look in another. Your female looks a little more comfortable. It will be fun for you to post more pictures a month from now so we can see them after they are settled in. Your male's colors will be much more vivid too as he becomes less stressed. Glad this nice pair got a good home :)

new veiled owner

Hi Jim,

I am so happy to see that you have spent your time investigating what your cham needs before you purchased them. My husband and i have a tortoise/chameleon rescue in NH. Most of the chameleons we get don't make it because the owner never did the research, so congrats on that. Second of all it looks like you are doing a great job so far. Make sure that you do put something in between the 2 cages or you will have a stressed out female. To help with humidity, i have done 2 things, i spray numerous times a day, and no they don't like it , make sure you use hot water so when it comes out it is actually warm and doesn't shock them, no it won't burn them it actually only comes out warm. Also spray above them not on them, they will still run likes its acid though, sometimes after a few minutes they do calm down , sometimes they don't. 1 that i got in didn't drink so i actually fed him with an eyedropper, that worked really great till i actually got him drinking like he should. He got so use to it he crawled right on my hand and would sit up and raise his head to drink. Also try using silkworms and hormworms. Watch out some hornworms can be huge, but they are loaded with water and will help keep them hydrated. Also put them in the bathroom with the hot water running at least once a week, more if they are shedding or seem dehydrated. My big veil actaully has hs own tree that goes in the tub and he sits on top while the water runs. Aim the water towards the wall not on him and just have it splash off the wall onto him, watch the temps. Then the other ones go in the bathroom in the cages. If they are still nervous cover the cage while you move them from one room to the other. Most chams die from stress so always be careful. I think i helped if you have anymore feel free to contact me.
debby

Back
Top Bottom