New Cham Owner in Hawaii

Jessedavid

Hey all! As the title suggests I am a new cham owner here on Oahu ( T. j. xantholophus of course!) and had a few questions:

1.) Who on here are some knowledgeable and experienced xanth owners that I can network with and ask questions? I'm always looking for solid advice.

2.) Are there any other owners currently on Oahu? What are some of the specific issues/ work-arounds they have run into here on the island? Who do they use for a vet? Is there a reptile club here on island? What is their opinion on cb vs. wb?

3.) I have a pair of xantholophus, as stated above, that I have recently have acquired. I know little of their history, but that they have been housed together. How do you tell if the female is gravid? Where do I begin to educate myself on taking care of babies? How time consuming is the undertaking and should I pass that on to some one more experienced then I ?

4.) I am aware that xanths ar particularly prone to mouth infections and was wondering if there might be some preventative measures/ treatments to help mitigate those risks?

5.) What questions should I be asking?

Hey all! As the title suggests I am a new cham owner here on Oahu ( T. j. xantholophus of course!) and had a few questions:

1.) Who on here are some knowledgeable and experienced xanth owners that I can network with and ask questions? I'm always looking for solid advice.

2.) Are there any other owners currently on Oahu? What are some of the specific issues/ work-arounds they have run into here on the island? Who do they use for a vet? Is there a reptile club here on island? What is their opinion on cb vs. wb?

3.) I have a pair of xantholophus, as stated above, that I have recently have acquired. I know little of their history, but that they have been housed together. How do you tell if the female is gravid? Where do I begin to educate myself on taking care of babies? How time consuming is the undertaking and should I pass that on to some one more experienced then I ?

4.) I am aware that xanths ar particularly prone to mouth infections and was wondering if there might be some preventative measures/ treatments to help mitigate those risks?

5.) What questions should I be asking?

Hello and welcome! You have already started off with some good questions. If the female is gravid you will know when she starts dropping babies. I have found if you are a new keeper with little to no frame of reference, it can be hard to explain. I haven't kept jacksons in years, but if you have a male and female together, I would expect babies.

Hopefully some of the Jackson keepers will see this and offer help. I will keep an eye out and if none of them respond, I will try to contact one for you.

And thankyou all so much for the help! I really appreciate it! I can use all the help I can get with these little guys as I am kinda learning as I go.

I live on maui and have 2 Jacksons. 1 male 1 female. I've had the male (wild caught myself) for about 2 years now. He is very healthy off a diet of surinam roaches and sowbugs which I started breeding after a wild caught batch. They also love the occasional common moth I find flying around at night. I always give mine at least an hour of Hawaiian sunshine and Tradewinds a week!

The humidity out here makes keeping chameleons pretty easy in hawaii. Let me know if you have any questions, it's ways nice to see another hawaii breeder! I attached a photo of my male Yoshi.
20170602_114718.jpg

I live on maui and have 2 Jacksons. 1 male 1 female. I've had the male (wild caught myself) for about 2 years now. He is very healthy off a diet of surinam roaches and sowbugs which I started breeding after a wild caught batch. They also love the occasional common moth I find flying around at night. I always give mine at least an hour of Hawaiian sunshine and Tradewinds a week!
The humidity out here makes keeping chameleons pretty easy in hawaii. Let me know if you have any questions, it's ways nice to see another hawaii breeder! I attached a photo of my male Yoshi.View attachment 184436

The humidity out here makes keeping chameleons pretty easy in hawaii. Let me know if you have any questions, it's ways nice to see another hawaii breeder! I attached a photo of my male Yoshi.View attachment 184436
Roaches and so bugs! I need to do this! These crickets are going to end me and my little guys! What is your set up for breeding? I have only had my guy and gal for about 2 weeks now, and I just have them out on my lanai plenty of morning sun and indirect daylight. I have their basking light on for about 6 hrs through out the day just so that they have a constant temp. With daily mistings and and real light, I have noticed a big change in their colors and activity as well as responsiveness. Now they absolutely love getting misted! Where as before they didn't seem to.

Roaches and so bugs! I need to do this! These crickets are going to end me and my little guys! What is your set up for breeding? I have only had my guy and gal for about 2 weeks now, and I just have them out on my lanai plenty of morning sun and indirect daylight. I have their basking light on for about 6 hrs through out the day just so that they have a constant temp. With daily mistings and and real light, I have noticed a big change in their colors and activity as well as responsiveness. Now they absolutely love getting misted! Where as before they didn't seem to.

I just have them in separate habitats and introduced the male to the females enclosure when she was old enough. You should always make sure they can't see each other unless they are breeding. This is my males enclosure
20170415_153156.jpg

Why don't you want them to see each other?

It will stress out the female (usually) which will lower her immunities and in turn she will be more susceptible to viruses and or parasites. My female hates my male now that she is prego and turns black and hisses if she sees him. It takes her a whole hour to recover after seeing him!

Back
Top Bottom