Young Veiled F Cham is sleeping a lot, squinting eyes and rubbing her eyes against the screen

Also I’m so sorry, I know im nagging but I’m honestly super stressed out right now and I was wondering if yall think this is MBD? And also do you think she’ll survive this?

Again, I’m sorry for nagging but a sick Cham in the middle of midterms is making me so anxious I feel sick.
Take a couple biiiiig slow deep breaths. Focus on those exams and know you're doing good work towards getting your husbandry on point. This truly is the best place for everything you need to know to help your baby girl be healthy. You're doing what you can, and Pascal is doing what she can. Know that.

Having had her for only 3 weeks, and she's still pretty young, I suspect MBD isn't likely yet. You're fixing her UVB and supplements so you should be able to avoid that. Remember, reptiles are very slow to start showing change. A few hours of proper UVB isn't going to have immediate results, but PLEASE know that it's working positively for her. If she's still moving around and eating, that's good. The images of her are a bit difficult to see because she's backlit but from the shapes of her limbs and stuff I don't suspect MBD.

As for the supplement advice, it looks like you were probably giving too much D3. That's going to take a few weeks to process properly out of her system, so it's good you're stopping the calcium with D3 and doing JUST plain calcium. Were you able to get those items to fix the supplementation? If so, you're doing what you can. Keeping temps good, supplements on point, and that crucial UVB on her for 12 hours on, 12 hours off, you're doing right by her.

Take a couple biiiiig slow deep breaths. Focus on those exams and know you're doing good work towards getting your husbandry on point. This truly is the best place for everything you need to know to help your baby girl be healthy. You're doing what you can, and Pascal is doing what she can. Know that.

Having had her for only 3 weeks, and she's still pretty young, I suspect MBD isn't likely yet. You're fixing her UVB and supplements so you should be able to avoid that. Remember, reptiles are very slow to start showing change. A few hours of proper UVB isn't going to have immediate results, but PLEASE know that it's working positively for her. If she's still moving around and eating, that's good. The images of her are a bit difficult to see because she's backlit but from the shapes of her limbs and stuff I don't suspect MBD.

As for the supplement advice, it looks like you were probably giving too much D3. That's going to take a few weeks to process properly out of her system, so it's good you're stopping the calcium with D3 and doing JUST plain calcium. Were you able to get those items to fix the supplementation? If so, you're doing what you can. Keeping temps good, supplements on point, and that crucial UVB on her for 12 hours on, 12 hours off, you're doing right by her.
I had made a mistake in my original post, the supplement I’m giving her DIDNT have D3, I corrected myself in a later post. So sorry for the confusion!

But thank you for making me feel better, though I’m not sure she’s eaten today :( just moved around a bit.

I had made a mistake in my original post, the supplement I’m giving her DIDNT have D3, I corrected myself in a later post. So sorry for the confusion!

But thank you for making me feel better, though I’m not sure she’s eaten today :( just moved around a bit.
Oh sorry, I DO Recall reading that and then promptly forgot. My bad. Glad you've got the right supplements!

Sometimes they just don't eat. Also, since she's been eating mostly superworms and mealworms, those are basically candy for a cham. If she's not as interested in crickets, that could explain why - I'd rather eat cake than veggies. 😅 Hopefully she'll eat, but skipping a meal or two isn't unusual at all, especially if a cham isn't feeling their best.

Also, she’s sleeping right now so she’s all snug on a branch but here’s a better lit picture

Attachments

• IMG_1150.jpeg
    IMG_1150.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 12
she's a cutie. Let her sleep, and do your best to curb your anxiety, and try not to blame yourself for having bad info. You're seriously doing your best to make things correct and that's far more than many people would even consider.

You are not nagging!! Post and ask as much as you want. I know these guys can freak us out when they are sick. You are doing so well helping her. It just will take time. Like @CalamityCrow said, she likely won’t show improvement immediately, but you are helping her. My guy had the wrong UVB and supplements for the first year and a half of his life, and he did have MBD. Everyone here helped me make changes and get him on track. He is thankfully past the MBD and thriving (aside from his current abscess). But it took time. It took a good month to see real change in him. Patience is key. Focus on your exams. Vent on here if you need. Ask for reassurance if you need. Let her rest and make sure you rest too!

You are not nagging!! Post and ask as much as you want. I know these guys can freak us out when they are sick. You are doing so well helping her. It just will take time. Like @CalamityCrow said, she likely won’t show improvement immediately, but you are helping her. My guy had the wrong UVB and supplements for the first year and a half of his life, and he did have MBD. Everyone here helped me make changes and get him on track. He is thankfully past the MBD and thriving (aside from his current abscess). But it took time. It took a good month to see real change in him. Patience is key. Focus on your exams. Vent on here if you need. Ask for reassurance if you need. Let her rest and make sure you rest too!
Thank you, reading your experience has really helped put my mind at ease. I’ve owned just about every mammal you can think of, a couple of amphibians, fish and even a marsupial but never any kind of reptile. So this is just really new to me. I’ve never had a sick animal either, other then my pug getting the occasional ear infection.

But yeah, I’ve taken a minute to sit back and calm down, tomorrow is my last two midterm exams then I’ll have all spring break to keep an eye on pascal and update yall on her progress. Once again, thank yall for all the advice and support you give me. When she’s feeling better and has a proper set up, I’ll definitely be posting plenty of cute pictures as she grows!

Thank you, reading your experience has really helped put my mind at ease. I’ve owned just about every mammal you can think of, a couple of amphibians, fish and even a marsupial but never any kind of reptile. So this is just really new to me. I’ve never had a sick animal either, other then my pug getting the occasional ear infection.

But yeah, I’ve taken a minute to sit back and calm down, tomorrow is my last two midterm exams then I’ll have all spring break to keep an eye on pascal and update yall on her progress. Once again, thank yall for all the advice and support you give me. When she’s feeling better and has a proper set up, I’ll definitely be posting plenty of cute pictures as she grows!
I’m so glad! I know reading about others helped me a lot. Just knowing others had gone through similar experiences and made it out ok would settle my mind. Good luck on your exams and I can’t wait for updates!!

Ok i just got home. Shes moving around a bit but her eyes are mostly closed or squinted. Also heres the light setup i purchased
Yep so with this T8 and bulb strength you want to flex the vine up about 5 inches below the uvb only. Not under the heat fixture. This will then put her in the right UVI level for the fixture and bulb you are using.

Ask as many questions as you want. If she goes up right under the uvb where I am telling you to put the vine she should start perking up. May not be MBD yet but without the UVB their systems start to shut down. Very good chance of her bouncing back. See if you can go ahead and get a plant.

Also you said you had a pothos in the cage... Get another pot and flip it upside down to set the pothos pot on top of... This will get it a bit higher in the enclosure.

Her eyes were open today! Though she’s still sleeping a lot. And she even drank some water and is climbing around (screen climbing -_- but it’s better than not moving at all)! I tried to hand feed her too, she looked interested but ultimately declined, not surprised since she’s never eaten out of my hand before. I’m going to keep trying using a plastic lid, maybe she’ll off of that

Attachments

• IMG_1152.jpeg
    IMG_1152.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 17
Her eyes were open today! Though she’s still sleeping a lot. And she even drank some water and is climbing around (screen climbing -_- but it’s better than not moving at all)! I tried to hand feed her too, she looked interested but ultimately declined, not surprised since she’s never eaten out of my hand before. I’m going to keep trying using a plastic lid, maybe she’ll off of that
So for now do not try to hand feed. Do you have a shallow container you can use? Set it in the bottom of the cage close to the branches or sticks. Fill it up with insects. see if she will go down and eat. Right now you have to limit stress to her and trying to hand feed when her system is compromised is more stress than I would recommend.

So for now do not try to hand feed. Do you have a shallow container you can use? Set it in the bottom of the cage close to the branches or sticks. Fill it up with insects. see if she will go down and eat. Right now you have to limit stress to her and trying to hand feed when her system is compromised is more stress than I would recommend.
Ok! Doin that right now! I’ll update yall if I notice anything missing from the dish or if I see her eat. Thank you!

Just a small update and one concern.

Pascal's moving around her cage a bit and has been drinking water, but still isn't eating. She watches the crickets and worms I put in there and acts interested but never actually eats. Her lamp is on for twelve hours every day and I've also started opening the blinds so she can get some natural sunlight too. She still sleeps a lot and usually only opens one eye whenever she's not asleep, but it's definitely an improvement over her just sleeping and stumbling around blind all day.

My concern is her screen climbing though. I measured her branch and it's five inches below the light, like you said, but she wants to screen climb to the very top rather than stay on her basking branch. I haven't handled her, I've just been waiting for her to go back down (and sometimes she does! But always ends up back at the top before I turn off her lamp for the day). Is this dangerous for her? Or in any way slowing down her progress?

Just a small update and one concern.

Pascal's moving around her cage a bit and has been drinking water, but still isn't eating. She watches the crickets and worms I put in there and acts interested but never actually eats. Her lamp is on for twelve hours every day and I've also started opening the blinds so she can get some natural sunlight too. She still sleeps a lot and usually only opens one eye whenever she's not asleep, but it's definitely an improvement over her just sleeping and stumbling around blind all day.

My concern is her screen climbing though. I measured her branch and it's five inches below the light, like you said, but she wants to screen climb to the very top rather than stay on her basking branch. I haven't handled her, I've just been waiting for her to go back down (and sometimes she does! But always ends up back at the top before I turn off her lamp for the day). Is this dangerous for her? Or in any way slowing down her progress?
Take a picture of the entire cage set up for me from lighting down.

Take a picture of the entire cage set up for me from lighting down.
Here you go. I know it looks bare right now, I was gonna wait for payday (Wednesday) to buy more plants but if you think that that’s the cause of her screen climbing I can borrow some money from my sister and go buy some today.

Attachments

• IMG_1161.jpeg
    IMG_1161.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 13
Here you go. I know it looks bare right now, I was gonna wait for payday (Wednesday) to buy more plants but if you think that that’s the cause of her screen climbing I can borrow some money from my sister and go buy some today.
Borrow money from your sister... More centerpiece plants to fill that cage out will make a huge difference. Will help baby settle faster because it will not feel so exposed.

Choose from the veiled tested ones.

plants 2024.png

Hey, just wanted to update yall and ask a question.

Here’s my current setup for her (please tell me if you see any issues) I only used plants on the veiled tested list as well as used a guide on how to clean off sticks for her and put those in as well.

She’s moving around really good, drinking, and is usually basking. But she hasn’t opened her eyes since Monday and still hasn’t eaten. She looks really skinny and I’m honestly worried about malnutrition.

I’ve seen a few threads on here about force feeding and wanted to ask y’all’s opinion and advice on this. She’s so little so I’m worried to try but she also won’t eat anything offered and won’t open her eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_1164.jpeg
    IMG_1164.jpeg
    293.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1165.jpeg
    IMG_1165.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom