john streets new home

eldarado

little john street is growing fast and so far is more healthier then any chameleon I ever owned.I would like to keep it this way.I have had him for a month now..he is a juvenile male veiled.about 2 1/4" from head to butt. not including the tail. I have a repti sun 5.0 18" his ambient temp. is 80 deg. and his basking area is like 15 deg.higher.main diet is crix,one wax worm every other day..I gut load the crix with flukers cricket feed high calcium and dandyline and carrot shreds.dust two times a week with tetra fauna reptocal powdered nutritional supp with cal and vitamin d3.I i wish his eating was a little better though..6 crix a day at the most.from what I can see he drinks fairly well i catch him licking droplets from time to time and his poop has the clear,white and brown part.should he be eating and drinking more?I want to try silk worms..are they expensive or not?because I would like to give him a variety of different foods..but no roaches I cant stand them creepy little bastards.and what do you guys think of what I'm using at this moment..good or bad?the input would be very helpful thanx guy's..

Sounds Good :)

It sounds like you are doing things the right way to me. Most of us struggle to come up with a variety of foods for our chams. I hate crickets. I hate the smell and the mess. But they are an excellent food source so I put up with them. Silkworms and hornworms are excellent too. They are more expensive in small quantities. The more you buy the less they cost. You can start out with a "pod" of them and see how you like them and go from there. Butterworms are a convenient and good source of calcium too. Some chams don't like them though. They are pretty inexpensive so you could try them without risking much money. Read some posts about roaches. They used to creep me out too. But I have to tell you...........they are very clean. They don't smell at all. In the end they are a lot less creepy than a cricket. Keep up the good workj!

See my response in red

little john street is growing fast and so far is more healthier then any chameleon I ever owned.I would like to keep it this way.I have had him for a month now..he is a juvenile male veiled.about 2 1/4" from head to butt. not including the tail.

when you say a juvenile cham, how old exactly your cham is. A juvenile is from 5 to 12 months old.
I say yours are younger than that.. considering the size. Although, one cham metabolic and growth rate is different than the others.. have you try weighing him? Mine is just about to enter his juvie stage (5 months) and he's about 4.5 inches without tail. But, please don't be alarmed. There is a chance that he might be one of those petite chameleon

I have a repti sun 5.0 18" his ambient temp. is 80 deg. and his basking area is like 15 deg.higher.
ambient temp can be a bit lower (low 70s). but 80 deg is acceptable. Basking of 95F is also good. Mine is 87F or 90F. I found him running away from the lamp when it is higher than 91F

main diet is crix,one wax worm every other day..I gut load the crix with flukers cricket feed high calcium and dandyline and carrot shreds.
careful on wax worm. they are high in fat. I say reduce the waxworm schedule. and stick to cricket more. gutload is good. Dandelion is very healthy.

dust two times a week with tetra fauna reptocal powdered nutritional supp with cal and vitamin d3.
I found this schedule is perfect for mine. plus the supplement:
(this is taken from Kammers')
Herptivite (multivitamin with beta-carotene) - Mondays and Thursdays
Rep-Cal Calcium (calcium with and w/out vitamin D3 - depending on indoor or outdoor use) - Tuesdays and Fridays
Miner-All (calcium with essential trace minerals) - Wednesdays and Saturdays

I i wish his eating was a little better though..6 crix a day at the most.
for a juvenile, 5 - 6 med cricket/day (1/2" to 3/4") is good! It is better to regulate his growth when they reach this stage. You don't want his body to grow beyond his calcium absorption. The risk of overfeeding is high potential of MBD

from what I can see he drinks fairly well i catch him licking droplets from time to time and his poop has the clear,white and brown part.should he be eating and drinking more?I want to try silk worms..are they expensive or not?
Silkies tend to be more expensive. Also, unless you own a mulberry tree, you will dependent to the company to supply you their chow, as silkies only eat mulberry leaves. But, the benefit of silkies outweigh all the negative points

because I would like to give him a variety of different foods..
variety is good. In the wild, cham can eat more than 50 different species of insects

but no roaches I cant stand them creepy little bastards.
same here... but, i am starting to think of trying one. Blaptica Dubia seems to get praise from everybody. I just saw the real thing.. and it wasn't as bad as i think it would.. but they still give me goosebumps. I don't know what is exactly wrong with me. I touch scorpion and arachnids without hesitation.. but the sight of roaches make me run like lightning :eek:

and what do you guys think of what I'm using at this moment..good or bad?the input would be very helpful thanx guy's..
so far so good. You covered all the basic. But now is the time to enhance the care so that not only your chameleon survive.. but THRIVE in your care. more nutritional food, etc etc. Hope that helps

he must be a bay about 2 months..he has grown..

now... 2 months old is far from juvenile. For a 2 months old, the size of your chameleon is perfect! :)
6 crickets is a border line for baby. Normally, they eat about 8 to 12 depending on your cham personality and metabolic rate.
I say try feeding him with silkworms, his appetite might increase.
So far you are doing a great job!

Mine does completely opposite. He ate 24 :eek:
His voracious eating make me worry so much, I went to a vet to check if he has any parasites.
But, we (the breeder, the vet,and I) conclude that providing him that much is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom