Help! Is our Panther sick?

mmsdec0804

Problem: My 13 year old daughter saved up her money and purchased a 3 month old panther chameleon 3 months ago and he seemed to have been doing great. I noticed about 10 days ago he hadn't pooped for several days and wondered if something was up. I asked the reptile store where we get our crickets about the amount of pooping, and the employee asked me if I see him drink, which I don't. He said we should definitely be seeing him drink, so I thought perhaps the humidifier, fogger, and dripper wetting the leaves were not enough (although he could be drinking when we aren't home) and we started spraying for 5-10 min twice a day using a Mist'r Lizard sprayer. He seemed unsure at first, but he did drink from the leaf when I stopped spraying that first time. Since then, when the "rain" starts, he typically hides his head under a leaf and when I stop, he opens and closes his mouth and appears to be swallowing, even though he isn't drinking from a leaf. In the first week he pooped twice and they looked perfect! He hasn't gone again now for 3 or 4 days. We also rearranged branches in his cage three days ago. Our little guy has seemed rather lethargic and inactive more during this past week than before we added the mister twice a week.
Does anyone have thoughts? I've attached pics of the cage, Larry asleep tonight, and him getting some water a few days ago.

Larry:
We have a male panther, 6 months old, we've had him since he was 3 months old.
Handling: He is handled for maybe 10 min three times a week. He seems ok with it.
Feeding: We feed medium crickets, about 8-12 each morning. The past three days he has not eaten more than a few crickets each day. We feed Flucker's dry high calcium food, cricket quencher, and Orange cube complete cricket diet.
Watering: This has recently changed. We were using a dripper, fogger and humidifier on high enough setting to moisten the leaves in the cage, but since I never saw him drink I thought perhaps he wasn't drinking at all/enough. So, last week we started actually misting twice a day for about 5-10 min. We've seen him drink a little, but it's usually him opening and closing his mouth after we stop, almost like he's swallowing. He seems to often hide his head under a leaf when we mist the cage, too.
Fecal Description: He hasn't had any fecal waste in several days, and before that he had two nice looking droppings (for poop! :)), brown with white, good sized.
History: He has seemed quite content.

Cage Type: Screen, 18x18x36
Lighting: We have two daytime lights that stay on for 13 hours. Reptisun 5.0 UVB 13 watt and ReptiBasking Spot Lamp 100w No lighting at night.
Temperature: Daytime basking is about 90 F. This has been consistent since we purchased him. Nighttime temps are between about 62-68F. This has also been consistent since we got him.
Humidity: We measure the humidity using a ZooMed small round humidistat. Depending on where we put it in his cage, and if the fogger hits it directly or not, it ranges from 50-80. This has been consistent since we've had him.
Plants: We have a Pothos plant that is live, and a branch of silk pothos to fill in a few bare spots.
Placement: The cage is in our office, away from drafts, fans, etc.The top of the cage is about 4 1/2 feet off the ground.
IMG_9388.jpg
IMG_9389.jpg
IMG_9393.PNG
IMG_9391.jpg

The cage looks pretty good, and it appears he is getting enough water. Chams do not poop everyday, so no worries right now. Do away with the Flukers stuff, it is a gimmick and not good for him. Read the care sheets on this forum for proper supplementation. A variety of "gutloaded" feeders is essential to his good health. Feed your feeders good quality veggies and fruits. You have heard the old saying "you are what you eat."

Thank you so much for the info! I’ll definitely be sure to feed the crickets healthier food. Today when I got home he had pooped again. Anyway, Thanks again! (y)

Have you not been dusting his crickets with supplements?
Have you tried offering him a variety if insects?

We have given him mealworms, though our local pet store said to switch to wax worms about once a week. Therefore, we feed him wax worms about once a week. We have not had any supplements on the crickets.

Mealworms and waxworms are not the best. Crickets, superworms, hornworms, black soldier fly larvae, silkworms, roaches are what you should be feeding. You have to dust the bugs/worms for proper supplementation. phosphorus free calcium is used to dust at every feeding. calcium with D3 should be used1-2 times a month. And dust with a multivitamin 1-2 times a month. Stay away from the mealworms, but you can give your guy a few waxworms as a treat. Waxworms are very fatty and offer no nutritional value, but apparently are tasty.

Back
Top Bottom