Caught Herbie sleeping again… help!

So when I walk into the room he has his eyes closed, but his tail is not curled or anything. If he hears me then he opens his eyes and looks at me but if I’m quiet and approach him he keeps his eyes closed, like he’s resting. That’s the best way I can explain it. He’s not in a sleeping position whatsoever but it’s like he’s “resting his eyes”
Please let me know if you figure it out. Mine does the same thing sometimes. He's like alert enough to wake up if I'm obvious but if I sneak up he keeps his eyes closed.

Hey everyone! So it’s been 3 days since the last update and he was eating a lot but now he hasn’t eaten (except for one superworm that I fed him) since then or pooped. Thinking I should make a vet visit?

Hey everyone! So it’s been 3 days since the last update and he was eating a lot but now he hasn’t eaten (except for one superworm that I fed him) since then or pooped. Thinking I should make a vet visit?
I will never question a vet visit if it is with a qualified vet that can treat a chameleon.

But let me ask a few questions. What does eating a lot mean? How many days and how many per day? Are you positive he has not passed a fecal sometimes these will get stuck in the plants.

I will never question a vet visit if it is with a qualified vet that can treat a chameleon.

But let me ask a few questions. What does eating a lot mean? How many days and how many per day? Are you positive he has not passed a fecal sometimes these will get stuck in the plants.
So three days ago he ate 5 silkworms and then has not eaten anything since then except for a superworm. He’s had silkworms in his feeder that he has not touched. I tried to even hand feed them today which he normally does with ease and didn’t want them. A silkworm actually tried to crawl into his mouth (not even kidding) and he didn’t even eat it :/

So three days ago he ate 5 silkworms and then has not eaten anything since then except for a superworm. He’s had silkworms in his feeder that he has not touched. I tried to even hand feed them today which he normally does with ease and didn’t want them. A silkworm actually tried to crawl into his mouth (not even kidding) and he didn’t even eat it :/
Ok so it was only that one day that he ate 5 or were there multiple days? The reason why I am asking is that he is also at an age where they do not eat as much. So if he simply is not eating as much if he had say a week of every day feeding 6 feeders then he may not be eating because he simply does not want it.

Now I am not saying that it does not mean there is something underlying either. We have to take every little thing they do to identify an issue due to them hiding illness so well.

Ok so it was only that one day that he ate 5 or were there multiple days? The reason why I am asking is that he is also at an age where they do not eat as much. So if he simply is not eating as much if he had say a week of every day feeding 6 feeders then he may not be eating because he simply does not want it.

Now I am not saying that it does not mean there is something underlying either. We have to take every little thing they do to identify an issue due to them hiding illness so well.
It’s so stressful, I’m sorry if it seems like I am being a helicopter chameleon parent! I called a different vet and requested their doctor that has a pet chameleon and made sure they had a prior history with chameleons and I feel comfortable. When we talked over the phone they asked about shedding and Herbie actually still has some shed on from when a week ago and it was a sort of patchy shed so they suspect it could be a parasite (like one of you mentioned before it may take more than one fecal sample to determine). I made an appointment for next week, so I’ll stop freaking out unless he actually starts sleeping during the day and then I’ll take him to urgent care there!

It’s so stressful, I’m sorry if it seems like I am being a helicopter chameleon parent! I called a different vet and requested their doctor that has a pet chameleon and made sure they had a prior history with chameleons and I feel comfortable. When we talked over the phone they asked about shedding and Herbie actually still has some shed on from when a week ago and it was a sort of patchy shed so they suspect it could be a parasite (like one of you mentioned before it may take more than one fecal sample to determine). I made an appointment for next week, so I’ll stop freaking out unless he actually starts sleeping during the day and then I’ll take him to urgent care there!
No worries this is honestly what cham keeping is like lol. The good keepers do worry about every little change. Because this is how you know something may be wrong. He has been through a lot just not having the uvb. I have never heard of slow shedding being linked to parasites though. Reduced appetite, lethargy, and low weight are typically the tell tell signs. You will need to try to get a fresh fecal to take in with you for them to run a fecal test. Not all meds work on all parasites so this is important to know the actual parasite. Also cleaning the cage can be different based on the type.

I don't worry about shedding taking a bit longer when they are over the 10 month mark. Since they shed more in sections these can let go more slowly as they release.

No worries this is honestly what cham keeping is like lol. The good keepers do worry about every little change. Because this is how you know something may be wrong. He has been through a lot just not having the uvb. I have never heard of slow shedding being linked to parasites though. Reduced appetite, lethargy, and low weight are typically the tell tell signs. You will need to try to get a fresh fecal to take in with you for them to run a fecal test. Not all meds work on all parasites so this is important to know the actual parasite. Also cleaning the cage can be different based on the type.

I don't worry about shedding taking a bit longer when they are over the 10 month mark. Since they shed more in sections these can let go more slowly as they release.
Okay that’s good to know! I guess I don’t want to assume that the uvb was the only problem just in case. But I’m definitely not having a check up like last time where she basically strangled the poor thing. I’m thinking I’ll just do a fecal so when he poops again to scoop it up and bring it to the vet really quick

Okay that’s good to know! I guess I don’t want to assume that the uvb was the only problem just in case. But I’m definitely not having a check up like last time where she basically strangled the poor thing. I’m thinking I’ll just do a fecal so when he poops again to scoop it up and bring it to the vet really quick
No, and in situations I never assume that it is solely one thing. Now the lack of UVB in your situation was a major component but this does not mean there are not other underlying issues.

Hey everyone! I went to the vet on Thursday (so about a week ago) and they did another fresh fecal and said that they found Giardia. They said that they always have like a low level and not to worry and then gave me some meds. However, on here I am seeing on this forum that Giardia is a bad parasite so I'm a bit confused. Anyways, little fellow has Giardia and has been started on meds (last Friday). Any recommendations on what to do from here? He hasn't pooped since we went to the vet (he was stressed again and then pooped in his carrier on the way there like last time), but they gave me some lactulose to give him in case he became constipated again, so I will give him a dose tomorrow.

Giardia is a bit of a big deal and as far as I know is not a ‘normal’ part of their gut flora. . After he’s had a couple of doses of the med, you’ll need to do a thorough disinfection of his enclosure and replace his live plants, branches and vines. I’m not sure of what the standard method of disinfection is. I use a combination - first a dilute bleach mixture, rinse and then F10 veterinary disinfectant and a rinse and a sun dry. I’m probably overdoing the disinfection, but I prefer to err on the side of caution. Do make sure to get at least two clear fecals after. I got only one and just had to have my guy retested because he was showing symptoms and that crap is back/still there. Next week I’ll have to take down and disinfect his double sized bioactive enclosure. :rolleyes:

wait so all of his plants and sticks are bad??? oh my lord. And why would the vet tell me something else then? They are an exotic vet and see lots of reptiles so I just don't understand how small of a deal they made of it. I don't know what to believe to be honest, this is all crazy. I will probably call the vet tomorrow and try to figure out all of this. But it is definitely Giardia because I wrote it down in my notes when they were explaining to me everything.

wait so all of his plants and sticks are bad??? oh my lord. And why would the vet tell me something else then? They are an exotic vet and see lots of reptiles so I just don't understand how small of a deal they made of it. I don't know what to believe to be honest, this is all crazy. I will probably call the vet tomorrow and try to figure out all of this. But it is definitely Giardia because I wrote it down in my notes when they were explaining to me everything.
For many reptiles, they DO carry parasites that generally won't bother them. I think beardies are a big one. The problem is that often exotic vets deal with lots of reptiles who are far more similar to each other than they are to chameleons. The fallacy in thinking that chams are "just another lizard" is they'll blanket attribute things to them that aren't actually true. My suspicion is that is what happened with your vet. At least they gave meds to help eliminate the parasites.

At least it's not coccidia! THAT parasite is an absolute bear.

For many reptiles, they DO carry parasites that generally won't bother them. I think beardies are a big one. The problem is that often exotic vets deal with lots of reptiles who are far more similar to each other than they are to chameleons. The fallacy in thinking that chams are "just another lizard" is they'll blanket attribute things to them that aren't actually true. My suspicion is that is what happened with your vet. At least they gave meds to help eliminate the parasites.

At least it's not coccidia! THAT parasite is an absolute bear.
Ahhh okay I see, so what I’m gathering is that for chameleons it’s not great and I’ll need to wash and replace things in his cage to prevent it from coming back

Ahhh okay I see, so what I’m gathering is that for chameleons it’s not great and I’ll need to wash and replace things in his cage to prevent it from coming back
Definitely. I'm always overly cautious with chams because they can be SO fragile. It's worth the effort in my opinion. As annoying as it is (I fought coccidia with my previous cham and that was a nightmare).

Giardia is a bit of a big deal and as far as I know is not a ‘normal’ part of their gut flora. . After he’s had a couple of doses of the med, you’ll need to do a thorough disinfection of his enclosure and replace his live plants, branches and vines. I’m not sure of what the standard method of disinfection is. I use a combination - first a dilute bleach mixture, rinse and then F10 veterinary disinfectant and a rinse and a sun dry. I’m probably overdoing the disinfection, but I prefer to err on the side of caution. Do make sure to get at least two clear fecals after. I got only one and just had to have my guy retested because he was showing symptoms and that crap is back/still there. Next week I’ll have to take down and disinfect his double sized bioactive enclosure. :rolleyes:
I didn't mean to discount anything that you said! I hope I didn't come across as rude before, I am just in such disbelief that there is so much misinformation!

Yeah…my vet was sooo casual when she was talking about the giardia and (before results were in) that it could also maybe be coccidia…no big deal. 😱 She didn’t volunteer the info that I would need to clean and disinfect or replace things that I couldn’t disinfect. I don’t know about branches since wood is porous. If your branches are small enough, you could try baking them.
I didn't mean to discount anything that you said! I hope I didn't come across as rude before, I am just in such disbelief that there is so much misinformation!
No offense taken. lol

My guy had Giardia. I washed his branches (everyday for 2 weeks) and plants with Dawn dish detergent. I took the plants outside and completely sprayed the leaves with Dawn and removed all of the soil by spraying with a hose. I then rinsed the plants until there was no suds (soil included). I then replanted everything in fresh soil. All of my plants lived and no reinfection occured. I left his cage bare for over a month. He was treated with Metronidazole for 2 weeks. After 2 clean fecals, I returned everything back to the enclosure. I had no incidents of re-infection. He has a fecal exam annually. HHis last fecal was in December 2023. All clear.

My guy had Giardia. I washed his branches (everyday for 2 weeks) and plants with Dawn dish detergent. I took the plants outside and completely sprayed the leaves with Dawn and removed all of the soil by spraying with a hose. I then rinsed the plants until there was no suds (soil included). I then replanted everything in fresh soil. All of my plants lived and no reinfection occured. I left his cage bare for over a month. He was treated with Metronidazole for 2 weeks. After 2 clean fecals, I returned everything back to the enclosure. I had no incidents of re-infection. He has a fecal exam annually. HHis last fecal was in December 2023. All clear.
So when you say that you left everything bare for a month, how does your chameleon drink? Do you still have sticks in there?

Back
Top Bottom