Caught Herbie sleeping again… help!

Just an update to everyone! Herbie is doing MUCH better and I haven’t caught him sleeping since the new UVB light! He’s been a lot more active too doing his rounds around the sticks in his cage! He even started shedding yesterday! Thank you to everyone! ❤️
Good to hear... This is what I would expect to see. His appetite should start improving as well with over all activity level.

How is he doing today?
He’s doing great today!! Almost all his shed is gone and he ate 5 silkworms! He was super hungry! Here he is running around! Also just a note a got some dragon strands I’m going to attach for a bit more plants and sticks but I’m going to wait another week or two before doing something crazy to his cage haha

Attachments

• IMG_6416.jpeg
    IMG_6416.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 7
He’s doing great today!! Almost all his shed is gone and he ate 5 silkworms! He was super hungry! Here he is running around! Also just a note a got some dragon strands I’m going to attach for a bit more plants and sticks but I’m going to wait another week or two before doing something crazy to his cage haha
So happy to hear this!

Well actually right after I posted this, I caught him sleeping again but I’m not worried because I feel like he’s just still recovering, if I need to be worried though let me know!
So there is a difference between actually sleeping or closing his eyes for short periods of time. Which was he doing?

So when I walk into the room he has his eyes closed, but his tail is not curled or anything. If he hears me then he opens his eyes and looks at me but if I’m quiet and approach him he keeps his eyes closed, like he’s resting. That’s the best way I can explain it. He’s not in a sleeping position whatsoever but it’s like he’s “resting his eyes”

So when I walk into the room he has his eyes closed, but his tail is not curled or anything. If he hears me then he opens his eyes and looks at me but if I’m quiet and approach him he keeps his eyes closed, like he’s resting. That’s the best way I can explain it. He’s not in a sleeping position whatsoever but it’s like he’s “resting his eyes”
Yes, so that is closing the eyes for a period of time. If he were actually sleeping as they would when lights are off then that would be more extreme decline sign.

Keep an eye on him. He has gone through a lot. But the fact that he is eating and more active now with the new lighting is a good sign. Removing that black coated jungle vine will be good as well. The coating from these can come off and into their eyes if they rub their face on them.

Yes, so that is closing the eyes for a period of time. If he were actually sleeping as they would when lights are off then that would be more extreme decline sign.

Keep an eye on him. He has gone through a lot. But the fact that he is eating and more active now with the new lighting is a good sign. Removing that black coated jungle vine will be good as well. The coating from these can come off and into their eyes if they rub their face on them.
Okay will do! I’ll keep an eye on him

is one a sign of sickness and the other means something else? I have only ever heard of closing eyes being a sign of sickness
Closing eyes on and off or one on and off can be multiple things. Infection, something missing in husbandry, but also can be a stress response. So we look at all aspects before jumping to one. By asking the right questions you can normally determine the issue causing it. For example when this member bought their T5HO and bulb they were not sold what they bought at the expo. THe bulb was a daylight bulb not a UVB bulb. So for this boy he was not getting any UVB. So we correct this first.

This in turn does not mean it is the only cause of an issue. But surely this is the major one. We would expect to see a bounce back within a week or so of having correct uvb lighting at the right distance. If there is still something going on it will present itself which we watch for. There can always be something secondary in which we then have to go through the process again of figuring out the issue.

If they are "sleeping" during the day as they would at night with lights off this is much more extreme sign of shut down.

Back
Top Bottom