Caught Herbie sleeping again… help!

So here is the thing with cleaning and stripping stuff down to the bare minimum. This is the best way to prevent them from reinfection. The oocysts from parasites come out in the fecal when they shed them. So if fecal lands where they drink or eat and then they go back later and lick from that spot they have reinfected themselves.

essentially any plants lower than the basking branch are a potential poop catch. So if you leave a plant like a small pothos in for water and hiding you want this to be higher up in the cage towards the basking branch so they are not pooping on it.

Now this one is easier to clean for you do not have to go crazy with heavy chemicals but you do want to clean and you do want to keep spot cleaning.

Yes the sticks were left in place. The plants remainded outside of the cage. I washed the branches everyday, for 2 weeks. I also washed the plants several times. The plants were returned after the 2nd clear fecal exam. Daily cleaning is require. For me my guy had a poop spot. He pooped in the same place. He Never pooped in the plants. Back right corner was his spot.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Herbie doesn’t seem to be getting better, I just want to make sure that this is good to get rid of those parasites

Attachments

• IMG_6704.jpeg
    IMG_6704.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 6
My guy was prescribed Metronidazole. Its really hard on their organs. It got rid of Giardia. Carmelo made a full recovery. Make sure Herbie is well hydrated. Nighttime Fog,Fog, and more fog.

Reading through this thread…a lot of great info given! Just my 2 cents, if it makes you feel any better 3 out of my 4 chams recently had Giardia. They were fine with the meds.

Just my opinion, I don’t know if the vet recommended this, but I would not give those meds simultaneously. I gave the doses of the metro (for Giardia) first. Then after that treatment was done I treated for pinworms. Also, for the pinworms depending on the count and bc of the life cycle, he may need another round in 3weeks. I am currently dealing with re-treatment and was not aware that should be the protocol. 😕

Reading through this thread…a lot of great info given! Just my 2 cents, if it makes you feel any better 3 out of my 4 chams recently had Giardia. They were fine with the meds.

Just my opinion, I don’t know if the vet recommended this, but I would not give those meds simultaneously. I gave the doses of the metro (for Giardia) first. Then after that treatment was done I treated for pinworms. Also, for the pinworms depending on the count and bc of the life cycle, he may need another round in 3weeks. I am currently dealing with re-treatment and was not aware that should be the protocol. 😕
Oh yeah, was not aware of that either! I'm already almost done with both of them though, so probably shouldn't stop one of them right? He's on his third round (3/5) of the metro and then had 2 rounds (2/3) of the pancur

Um the forth one that decided not to play "let's get parasites" should get an extra silk worm. :hilarious:

Back
Top Bottom