Free range near pool?

Nope.. I've seen chameleons swim.. I've had mine swim in the tub before.. If there are places where the chameleon can exit the pool, he shouldn't drown (given the temperature isnt too low that it just makes him very slow and then after an extended exposure he does drown.. As far as the chlorine or salts used in the pool, idk what they can do to the skin.
Here's a video of a chameleon swimming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlCNPHYJRM0

Just so you know, chameleons can swim. They certainly are not elegant at doing so, but they seem to do it okay. Here is a link to a chameleon swimming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlCNPHYJRM0

Search youtube for chameleons swimming and you will find more. I think it would for the most part be safe, just use caution when doing so. Baby chams are not as good at swimming and can drown. Just keep your free range away from the pool's edge and most likely your chameleons will not go near the pool.
I posted that video at the begining of this thread.
If they can't get out of the pool, then yes, this is true. Like any animal, really. You'd get tired and drown. But they can swim so it would be a matter of providing a way out.

I think those of us that have free ranged know that it is possible to block of a free range. There aren't cats or something that leap over barriers - if they can't climb it with their little hands and feet then they can't get out. So by making a little solid fence around each free range, maybe 12-18" tall, they'd have no way to get out. I used to have 6 chameleons free ranging in the same apartment, and they wouldn't get past barriers if you were clever about it.

I free range. I just stated that it is my opinion, that a FR can ever be 100% escape proof. You could build a wall in between it and the pool I guess. I just want to stress that this is dangerous. I just want the chameleons to be happy, and not drown.;) While the chameleons in the videos seem to struggle along, Im betting that if I put either one of mine in a bath tub, they would sink. I havnt tried this, maybe Ill do an experiment tomarrow.

I posted that video at the begining of this thread.

I free range. I just stated that it is my opinion, that a FR can ever be 100% escape proof. You could build a wall in between it and the pool I guess. I just want to stress that this is dangerous. I just want the chameleons to be happy, and not drown.;) While the chameleons in the videos seem to struggle along, Im betting that if I put either one of mine in a bath tub, they would sink. I havnt tried this, maybe Ill do an experiment tomarrow.

What chams do you have? I have done this with both male and female veileds and male panthers.

What chams do you have? I have done this with both male and female veileds and male panthers.

Its in my signature. You raise a startling question though. I am unsure as to why anyone would put a chameleon in water, deep enough so it has to swim.
Bottom line here. Chameleons arent made to swim. If theres a chance it can get into the pool, dont leave them unsupervised. I covered this in the very first response to the thread though.

Its in my signature. You raise a startling question though. I am unsure as to why anyone would put a chameleon in water, deep enough so it has to swim.
Bottom line here. Chameleons arent made to swim. If theres a chance it can get into the pool, dont leave them unsupervised. I covered this in the very first response to the thread though.

When you fill a bathtub, there is always one side deeper.. they wandered off and I let them to see what would happen.. they swam and came back.
But you are correct, they are not meant to be in the water.

Back
Top Bottom