Turning off Basking Bulb - Do you do it?

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
This week we are having a heat wave. However, even without the heat wave, I feel like around 3pm the basking bulb kind of becomes unnecessary. He doesn't bask under it nearly that late. I just turned it off, and set it to turn off automatically every day at 3pm. I've read about other people only even using them for a few hours. And I am partially doing this because that 'half' of the enclosure stays up in the high 70s, and I feel like since he isn't even eating, or basking at that point, that he just doesn't need it. I feel like it's just producing heat that isn't needed at that point. So instead of him going down and cooling down for a few hours, maybe he won't even have to do that (or as long.... if he just likes to do this, that's fine).

Does anyone else turn their basking lights off early? Or do you just leave them on? Granted, it is on a probe that only lets it get to 80f. I just feel like it may be beneficial to let that entire area cool down at that point just a little bit, because his resting area , although lower, is still directly under that heating lamp. Thoughts on this? Or should I just leave my setup how it's always been?

I'm not concerned or anything, but around 3-3:30pm, he seems to call it a day, and go to his resting area. He does not sleep. But he will just sit there in his resting spot where he DOES sleep, until 7pm when the lights go off. Then he will fall asleep. So I am just curious here. I wonder if he'd be for lack of a better word "happier" with using more of his day to be higher in the enclosure, and exploring, instead of just laying in 1 spot for hours.

Again, if this is just what he likes to do then it is what it is :) I just don't want him to be 'forced' to cutting his days short if he's had enough of the heating lamp on at that point.

Mine adjusts throughout the year for my panther. In the colder months when my basement is not so warm, its on longer, in the summer when its hot AF, its maybe only on a few hours or depending on the temperature I may have it rotate from being off and on if it gets too cool for my boy. Its just another tool you can use to maintain the environment your guy needs.

If you are nervous about it just shorten the time its on slowly and see how your little one does.

Mine runs 7:30 to 1:45 and it’s working alright I guess, I think I should probably turn it off earlier. Looking at my Govee by hour the temp spikes about 8pm a little bit. I have fans going both ends as well. But this is also how my house runs in the summer time, when the sun goes down all that heat comes up. Winter is coming to so I’ll have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the input everyone! This morning I set the basking light to turn off at 2pm. Although my temps actually are very consistent, I am just curious if he may want to stay out and about if that light is off, not giving off extra heat throughout the afternoon.

I'm not worried at all, for once :) This is just a curiosity for me. His temps are typically excellent, right within range of where they should be. I just notice that when he does bask later in the afternoon, it is NOT under the basking bulb, and I feel like he (might) want to spend a little more of his day exploring and just being on top of the enclosure.

And I could be wrong and intend to find out :) He goes to his rest area around 3-3:30, and just hangs out there all the way until 7pm!! So I am wondering if with this change if he will be a little more active in the afternoon. And maybe he wont. But regardless.... I think it makes sense to remove the basking bulb in the afternoon because if he's not gonna use it, what's the point anyway? 🤷‍♂️

Mine adjusts throughout the year for my panther. In the colder months when my basement is not so warm, its on longer, in the summer when its hot AF, its maybe only on a few hours or depending on the temperature I may have it rotate from being off and on if it gets too cool for my boy. Its just another tool you can use to maintain the environment your guy needs.

If you are nervous about it just shorten the time its on slowly and see how your little one does.
I think I may end up doing something like this. Right now I am turning it off at 2pm and seeing how he reacts to that. If at all. But come winter, I will monitor my temps closely (as always lol) and probably will end up keeping the basking light on longer, based on my homes ambient temps. Should always be at 73 still during the day but we'll see.

Its 4pm. Spike has not gone to his resting area yet and he's exploring right now 🙂 he may be looking for a new place to sleep but he definitely stayed near the top of his enclosure longer today with the basking light off (shut off at 2pm)

Could be a coincidence but we'll see 🙂

Aw yeah he's still exploring 😍 nice to see him active when I get home lol

Attachments

• 20230906_163307.jpg
    20230906_163307.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 48
So it's a little after 5pm and he's just now making his way down to his resting area :) Again it's only 1 day that I've tried this, but it appears turning off the basking light early may have contributed to him spending another ~2 hours exploring his enclosure and what not, before going to his resting area.

Side note it was in the 90s here today and our ambient house temp is 76. So it was still a warmer day in general.

He is darling! Glad to see the change seems to be working well for him :)
He is lol. I feel he's being so tolerable of me. I tried to see if he'll walk on my hand and he refused, started turning orange lol. Tried to see if he'd take a BSFL and he almost did but then it fell from my hand and then he didnt want it lol. BUT he didn't retreat and I had my hand super close to him. So I think there is some progress there!

He is lol. I feel he's being so tolerable of me. I tried to see if he'll walk on my hand and he refused, started turning orange lol. Tried to see if he'd take a BSFL and he almost did but then it fell from my hand and then he didnt want it lol. BUT he didn't retreat and I had my hand super close to him. So I think there is some progress there!
Have you read the blog that @Beman made on here about building trust with chams? Its really helpful.

Oh I found it already lol!! But TY!! I watched your video getting him to go on your hand. I really like that strategy. I glanced over a little bit (But I really gotta get started on my school work....) and noticed one thing that stood out to me.... and I do this with him a lot

1. Don't make direct eye contact with your Chameleon.
I absolutely DO make eye contact with him. I never heard anything regarding this before! So I assume that scares them/makes them feel more threatened somehow?? I will read the rest later. I am just curious about this. Definitely something for me to correct 🫡

Back
Top Bottom