Free range near pool?

It's a screened in pool cage. I don't think I have to worry about any birds or anything else for that matter really. Sure there might be the occasional critter that sneaks in past Tue door or something but its a pool cage. My only concern was the pool itself really lol

pixxxxxxxxxxx!!!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I just want to see how much space you have away fromt the actual pool . Also it is covered (does it have a roof). Because then your Cham can't bask in natural sunlight.

It's not covered. Who wants a pool under a roof unless its indoor? And who would want an indoor pool unless you have more money than sense? Lol
I have about 4' around the pool, with a little more at the corners.

It's not covered. Who wants a pool under a roof unless its indoor? And who would want an indoor pool unless you have more money than sense? Lol

So it's just a fenced in Pool?

I see where your coming from there Jack but being born and raised in S FL I rarely think about you poor folks up there in all that cold, haha.

And Jon, its a fully enclosed pool. Screen surrounds the entire thing except 1 wall which is the house.

you could always put up one of those child proof screens around the pool! haha just kidding. That would be a little ridiculous...:rolleyes:

Is the screen made to block uvb? Some are. That would be my main consideration. if its not covered on top, the birds will eat your chameleon. I like indoor pools. :(

I can't believe how many people don't seem to know what a pool enclosure looks like lol Silly non-Floridians! ;) http://www.fantasyvillaflorida.com/images/pool-screen.jpg

Thanks for the visual Olimpia! I have been on my phone all day and didnt feel like hunting a picture down for people to see what I was talking about. Basically the picture linked but I have about 4' all the way around.

As far as the UV blocking screen goes, I am 99% sure its not due to the age but who knows...

Thanks for the visual Olimpia! I have been on my phone all day and didnt feel like hunting a picture down for people to see what I was talking about. Basically the picture linked but I have about 4' all the way around.

As far as the UV blocking screen goes, I am 99% sure its not due to the age but who knows...

That picture is fully enclosed and has a roof. You said yours has no roof right? Thats cool but id still be worried about him swimming. You can always throw him in test the waters.Give him some orange blow up muscles though.

Where I come from we call that a screened Patio basically.

That picture is fully enclosed and has a roof. You said yours has no roof right? Thats cool but id still be worried about him swimming. You can always throw him in test the waters.Give him some orange blow up muscles though.

I think they meant that it had no solid roof, so UVB could still come through. But it is enclosed, so it would be safe from snakes, birds, etc.

Exactly Olimpia. Jon asked if it were covered, and if it was the Cham would not be able to bask. Anyhow, I never imagined it would be so hard to describe a pool enclosure lol. They are a dime a dozen here, just about every other home has one. Thats my fault for being close minded I guess lol.

So here is my silly question,
Can he get out of the enclosure to the side of the pool?
Did I read recently that chams don't have great "spacial" sense? So they can't really tell when they are at the edge. If that's true and he was able to get to the pools edge would he fall in an not be able to get out?

So here is my silly question,
Can he get out of the enclosure to the side of the pool?
Did I read recently that chams don't have great "spacial" sense? So they can't really tell when they are at the edge. If that's true and he was able to get to the pools edge would he fall in an not be able to get out?

This is my ONLY concern.

I decided that I will barricade the free range off so that the chameleons will be forced to stay in the foliage provided in the free range.

In the event that one does escape and manage to get into the pool, I will need to provide some sort of a way out for them, providing that they will indeed swim. I am still thinking about a solution to this.

This is my ONLY concern.

I decided that I will barricade the free range off so that the chameleons will be forced to stay in the foliage provided in the free range.

In the event that one does escape and manage to get into the pool, I will need to provide some sort of a way out for them, providing that they will indeed swim. I am still thinking about a solution to this.

Im betting that if a chameleon fell into a pool, theres a 99% chance of it drowning. Also, it is my opinion, that a "free-range" cannot be made 100% escape proof.

Im betting that if a chameleon fell into a pool, theres a 99% chance of it drowning. Also, it is my opinion, that a "free-range" cannot be made 100% escape proof.

Nope.. I've seen chameleons swim.. I've had mine swim in the tub before.. If there are places where the chameleon can exit the pool, he shouldn't drown (given the temperature isnt too low that it just makes him very slow and then after an extended exposure he does drown.. As far as the chlorine or salts used in the pool, idk what they can do to the skin.
Here's a video of a chameleon swimming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlCNPHYJRM0

Just so you know, chameleons can swim. They certainly are not elegant at doing so, but they seem to do it okay. Here is a link to a chameleon swimming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlCNPHYJRM0

Search youtube for chameleons swimming and you will find more. I think it would for the most part be safe, just use caution when doing so. Baby chams are not as good at swimming and can drown. Just keep your free range away from the pool's edge and most likely your chameleons will not go near the pool.

If they can't get out of the pool, then yes, this is true. Like any animal, really. You'd get tired and drown. But they can swim so it would be a matter of providing a way out.

I think those of us that have free ranged know that it is possible to block of a free range. There aren't cats or something that leap over barriers - if they can't climb it with their little hands and feet then they can't get out. So by making a little solid fence around each free range, maybe 12-18" tall, they'd have no way to get out. I used to have 6 chameleons free ranging in the same apartment, and they wouldn't get past barriers if you were clever about it.

Back
Top Bottom