• DripperBehindG.JPG
    DripperBehindG.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 584
  • AmeliaDripper.JPG
    AmeliaDripper.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 543
Thanks to SandraChameleon!!

Best Idea Ever lol

My cham hates it when i spray...and most of the time i can't tell if he drinks later...

:D:D:D:D

Thanks to SandraChameleon!!

Best Idea Ever lol

My cham hates it when i spray...and most of the time i can't tell if he drinks later...

:D:D:D:D
my guess would be that you do not heat your spray water ?, if you spray a cham that has been basking at say 88* using room tempurature water (say 73*), the spray water cools almost immediately upon atomization, it usually drops a minimum of several degrees , that means you are most likely spraying a cold blooded animal with water that is approx 20* cooler than his body than his body temp. of course the temps given are just an example the only way to really know the actual temps involved would be to measure the actual temperature of the mist itself . if you heat your water (that means actually heating cold water, not using warm water from the tap ) your cham will most likely become accustomed to it, and even learn to enjoy it, best not to rely on a dripper alone for hydration (but yes a dripper is also a good idea). heating your spray water can be as simple as leaving the bottle on a small under tank heater pad , if that does not provide enough temp, you can wrap the bottle in an insulative material like bubble wrap or make a foam tube you can also place a box over your sprayer when not in use , best to always check your actual temps when trying something new, i bet if you heat your water he (or she) will learn to dig their spray

my guess would be that you do not heat your spray water ?, if you spray a cham that has been basking at say 88* using room tempurature water (say 73*), the spray water cools almost immediately upon atomization, it usually drops a minimum of several degrees , that means you are most likely spraying a cold blooded animal with water that is approx 20* cooler than his body than his body temp. of course the temps given are just an example the only way to really know the actual temps involved would be to measure the actual temperature of the mist itself . if you heat your water (that means actually heating cold water, not using warm water from the tap ) your cham will most likely become accustomed to it, and even learn to enjoy it, best not to rely on a dripper alone for hydration (but yes a dripper is also a good idea). heating your spray water can be as simple as leaving the bottle on a small under tank heater pad , if that does not provide enough temp, you can wrap the bottle in an insulative material like bubble wrap or make a foam tube you can also place a box over your sprayer when not in use , best to always check your actual temps when trying something new, i bet if you heat your water he (or she) will learn to dig their spray

no i do use luke warm water...never cool water...

i know that from running and never drinking ice cold water...just room temp :D

I figure if you get a empty milk jug and a container to catch the water but put a screening on the top so your charm and food dosent fall into it then drill a 1/8 or smaller holl at the bottom place the catcher in the bottom set the jug on top only put as much water in the milk jug as the catcher can with stand if the water poors out of the jug keep the cap just put the cap on top it should turn into a drip for the water flow depends on the air intake so i think you can adjust the cap tighter or loser for flow controle. :D

Some chams won't drink from a dripper at all, some need the tube in the cage. For my one that doesn't give a crap, (he just loves to drink) I took a plastic tray that some sushi came in, used a hot ice pick to poke a small hole in one corner. I just toss a hand full of ice in the tray. Works fine, and I don't think it can get much cheaper. lol

OH WOW awesome, thank you so much, I am gonna get some of that hose etc from work tomorrow and make two for my two chams thank you so much!:D

a good investment for all day water supply is the mist king mist system.. $100-$120.. its a 5 gal bucket.. and mist pump.. put it on a digital timer... have it mist several times a day for a few seconds each time.. good uck.

I have a dripper setup that I made but I have never really seen Rico drink from it and I don't know why but it bothers me. His urates look fine and others have said they don't see their chams drink and that I shouldn't worry so I did stop worrying.

Even still, I'd feel a lot better if I saw Rico drink from the dripper from time to time and notice that other members not only witness this but have posted that their chams are "trained" to drink directly from the dripper. Any suggestions on how to go about "training" a chameleon to drink from a dripper?

Just curious.

Also, GREAT dripper Sandra! Very inexpensive and totally effective! I wished I'd seen yours before I build mine because I would have gone with that instead. The one I built cost about $10 with most of the cost in the container, ($2.50,) and the quick connect valve, ($3.70), plus a few brass pieces.

We've been reworking our cage for our new little Cham, and we've been fighting to get the humidity up to a reasonable level and i think we finally got it stable and reasonable. We started with misting and that wasn't enough and started using a dripper and turned the bottom of his cage into a swamp. It was a hazard. Yesterday we rebuilt his cage into an aquafir with water trickling down a vine supplied by a small pump in the lowest part of the cage and added two new plants to help. the funny part, now we need to add the dripper again to keep the aquafir going! It loses water to the plants and the air like crazy!

Really? you don't need any tubing or anything? I would think the water would just pour out rather than dripping. I guess I'll try that though to see if it works. Thanks

Do you have to put anything in the bottom of the terrarium? I was looking at making one of these but I would imagine it would flood my floor and substrate...

It depends on your drainage situation. Most drippers will empty after a few hours, much faster than the water will evaporate from the floor without any kind of drain.

What kind of substrate are you using? Most people choose not to use one due to bacteria and potential ingestion/impaction hazards.

I mist but also use a dripper in between to ensure water is always available. My little guy actually pulls the dripper to his mouth like a giant straw when he is thirsty.

Going to do that FOR SURE. I have been looking for a good, inexpensive way to drip. (As in better than my 2 foam cup set up. LOL)

Back
Top Bottom