Idea for Dripper Bottle

Andrew1283

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have a MistKing starter kit on each of my single enclosures. I have been filling a 20 oz Fiji water bottle for my dripper. All I do is poke a hole in one side for the dripper, another hole on the opposite side as an air hole for air to displace the water and keep the drip going. I lay the bottle on the side and it drips for almost 2 hours exactly.

But I thought, what if I didn’t have to fill up these water bottles every stinking day? What if I could automate this by tying it in to my misting system?

All you have to do is get a splitter for your Mistking. Run one tube to your spray nozzle and the other tube to your dripper bottle by drilling a hole thriving the cap and using some silicone to seal it.

You can’t just run a tube into the dripper bottle. You need a check valve so there is equal pressure between the line to your dripper bottle and the line to your spray nozzle. Each MistKing spray nozzle has a check valve that requires a certain PSI pressure to expel water. If one of the lines has no check valve, all the water will follow the path of least resistance and spray out of that open line.

And that’s it!

2 minutes of spray time gets my bottle filled up and then it drips for 2 minutes after the spraying stops.

I can also throw an extra bottle or some ice cubes up there if I think they need extra hydration .

You lost me at hello.

So over my head but sounds fantastic lol
Just take a good water bottle and drill a hole through the cap to match the outer diameter of the tubing. Stick the line in through that hole to make sure it’s a snug fit. Sealant isn’t really necessary. Now use a splitter on your tubing to your misters and make a separate line to your dripper. The dripper bottle gets filled when the mister is on.

See how I just have tubing in there with no spray nozzle? That’s not going to work. You need to put a sprayer head on it or a check valve so it has equal back pressure to your other spray nozzles. Otherwise the bottle will get filled really fast and the sprayers won’t do anything. The water follows the path of least resistance.

And you will have a steady drip of water for 2 hours after the misters turn off!

Attachments

• 619A9527-4F43-4081-84B2-D57EA5A8494C.jpeg
    619A9527-4F43-4081-84B2-D57EA5A8494C.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 65F41AB2-1C55-4FFC-8C7A-0FAFA14A62C4.jpeg
    65F41AB2-1C55-4FFC-8C7A-0FAFA14A62C4.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 35
Thought of this for many times with my foggers, filling the reservoir during misting. Only one big water tank needed for everything. Thanks to your post I’m gonna fulfill my project 👍🏻

Love your idea about the dripper.

Also pretty interested in this new Mistking toy https://www.mistking.com/Rain-Zone.html
I got the rain zone and it made a high pitched whining sound and leaked a lot. Would not recommend!

Thanks a lot 🙏🏻 no rain zone it is 👍🏻
I went to a restaurant downtown that had a beautiful painting of a countryside. In front of the painting was a long copper pipe hidden up behind some trim and periodically raindrops would fall from the pipe down in front of the painting and hit tin down below to simulate raindrops. It was very calming and next level. I knew that bill was going to be high! Anyway I considered a similar setup with a small diameter soaker hose snaked across the top of the enclosure that’s gravity fed by an elevated reservoir.

These air stones for fish tanks would probably work well.

Attachments

• D9264998-4FA7-4DF0-A987-3B47E1469100.jpeg
    D9264998-4FA7-4DF0-A987-3B47E1469100.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 8C9300DC-8B31-4E43-95D4-DFE8CCE0D1FD.jpeg
    8C9300DC-8B31-4E43-95D4-DFE8CCE0D1FD.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 35
Just take a good water bottle and drill a hole through the cap to match the outer diameter of the tubing. Stick the line in through that hole to make sure it’s a snug fit. Sealant isn’t really necessary. Now use a splitter on your tubing to your misters and make a separate line to your dripper. The dripper bottle gets filled when the mister is on.

See how I just have tubing in there with no spray nozzle? That’s not going to work. You need to put a sprayer head on it or a check valve so it has equal back pressure to your other spray nozzles. Otherwise the bottle will get filled really fast and the sprayers won’t do anything. The water follows the path of least resistance.

And you will have a steady drip of water for 2 hours after the misters turn off!
Great idea... Would not work for me I run long misting sessions and I think the bottle would have to be a lot bigger for me to work this in. But I really love the idea. Bookmark this thread so you can share it when it comes up that people are trying to automate a dripper.

I went to a restaurant downtown that had a beautiful painting of a countryside. In front of the painting was a long copper pipe hidden up behind some trim and periodically raindrops would fall from the pipe down in front of the painting and hit tin down below to simulate raindrops. It was very calming and next level. I knew that bill was going to be high! Anyway I considered a similar setup with a small diameter soaker hose snaked across the top of the enclosure that’s gravity fed by an elevated reservoir.

These air stones for fish tanks would probably work well.
I know them 👍🏻 That could work indeed. Gonna check it out.

Great idea... Would not work for me I run long misting sessions and I think the bottle would have to be a lot bigger for me to work this in. But I really love the idea. Bookmark this thread so you can share it when it comes up that people are trying to automate a dripper.
You could always use an in line valve fitting to reduce the flow :)

Wow I don’t need the spray nozzle. These in line valves are designed for household reverse osmosis filtration systems and 1/4” outer diameter lines, just like Mistking. Just turn the blue tab to reduce flow. Saweeeeettt

Attachments

• BF99EC62-7E8A-41FD-BCEB-3D5C9A0AB5EE.png
    BF99EC62-7E8A-41FD-BCEB-3D5C9A0AB5EE.png
    591 KB · Views: 37
Wow I don’t need the spray nozzle. These in line valves are designed for household reverse osmosis filtration systems and 1/4” outer diameter lines, just like Mistking. Just turn the blue tab to reduce flow. Saweeeeettt
I actually have one of those sitting in a bag somewhere that I bought from mistking. lol

I have to say, I enjoy hand spraying because it’s some extra interaction with my chameleons. But then I considered from their perspective, I’m the guy who sprays their homes with the cold water before breakfast and after dinner. Not the kind of positive association I’m working toward. So I’ll let the MistKing do that chore

I have to say, I enjoy hand spraying because it’s some extra interaction with my chameleons. But then I considered from their perspective, I’m the guy who sprays their homes with the cold water before breakfast and after dinner. Not the kind of positive association I’m working toward. So I’ll let the MistKing do that chore
Beman has never been ok with me spraying the cage. But could care less about the mistking.

It’s like trimming my dog nails. We can’t tell them why we are doing it, but it’s for their own good. I imagine in a dog’s mind, I’m just aimlessly torturing them. They can’t conceive of why nails need to be cut. Beman can’t conceive of why you have to spray his house with water. Does MistKing cut dog nails?

Back
Top Bottom