DIY-Cricket Cup

UPDATE from a member.

"I got mine and they look great---thanks! Only problem was that the plate on the back for the magnet fell off as soon as I touched the magnet...and the yellow foam was still between them. I glued it back on with some miracle bond epoxy and set it aside to dry...then I unpacked the second one and the same thing happened. Just wanted to let you know. Hopefully the epoxy works so I can try them out tomorrow!"

Thanks for the feedback, those magnets are strong, I find the best way to remove them it to twist 45 degrees then pull off. I’m assuming the paint was pulled off with the plate. I used the strongest epoxy I could find @ 4400 psi tensile strength, so the paint must be the weakest bond. Your fix should be work perfect since it is now glues directly onto the plastic.

I must of miss this in manufacturing 101 – Smash your product on the ground and see what breaks.

Bad news, I’m extremely unsatisfied with this first batch of feeder cups, with a few minor and one major flaw I consider them a failure. I take shame in making something that does not work and have spent days testing and thinking of how to fix them. My conclusion is that they do not do their intended design of containing large crickets. I feel that all the fixes posted are still unacceptable and although they help reduce the number of escaping crickets, the only real fix is to completely remake them with the needed improvements. I apologize to everyone who gave their trust in me to create a feeder cup that “works”. My solution is to ask for time to remake them for all people who have already received the first batch. I will spend another week testing and collecting feedback from everyone before ordering new materials and start new construction. Keep in mind that the first batch of feeder cups are not useless or junk, they will work great for other insects and medium sized crickets. Give me a few weeks to get made and I will resend out PM’s, as always I will keep the thread updated. Please comment or message me for any questions.

I think it's fairly normal for a couple of crickets to escape the cup. I've noticed that when my cham is sniping away inside the cup, you will have random crickets jump out of fear. While somefall back down to the cup, I've seen a couple of times where they jump right out of the cup. I don't think you could make this style of cup escape proof, especially if you're dealing with crickets.

Looks about as good as it can be to me. You are dealing with animals who make random actions, I look forward to seeing how these evolve. I made something similar out of a juice bottle and duct tape.

I think these are good for small crickets. They are working well for me. I'll try one on medium crickets. I don't think that you will have no escapees unless you pull off the jumping legs. :eek:

If you want to make one that contains large crickets, I think you would need a larger size tube, like rain gutter downspout.

I think it's fairly normal for a couple of crickets to escape the cup. I've noticed that when my cham is sniping away inside the cup, you will have random crickets jump out of fear. While somefall back down to the cup, I've seen a couple of times where they jump right out of the cup. I don't think you could make this style of cup escape proof, especially if you're dealing with crickets.

I agree. I used very deep deli cups and McDonalds or Wendys largest drink cups and have always had some criks just jump straight up and out. I just take it as survival of the fittest. The strongest jumpers can escape and run off to do what crickets do.

UPDATE from a member.

"I got mine and they look great---thanks! Only problem was that the plate on the back for the magnet fell off as soon as I touched the magnet...and the yellow foam was still between them. I glued it back on with some miracle bond epoxy and set it aside to dry...then I unpacked the second one and the same thing happened. Just wanted to let you know. Hopefully the epoxy works so I can try them out tomorrow!"

Thanks for the feedback, those magnets are strong, I find the best way to remove them it to twist 45 degrees then pull off. I’m assuming the paint was pulled off with the plate. I used the strongest epoxy I could find @ 4400 psi tensile strength, so the paint must be the weakest bond. Your fix should be work perfect since it is now glues directly onto the plastic.

I must of miss this in manufacturing 101 – Smash your product on the ground and see what breaks.

I also had a magnet pull the backing off. It did take some paint off so I glued it back on with epoxy right to the plastic. Maybe you could glue the backing on first then paint over it with out affecting the magnetic attraction.

Thanks everyone for the comments, your posts are comforting as I have been beating myself up a bit. I want to fix the problem and I will have been studying how they are escaping.

1. Your chameleons drops them. I’ve seen the chameleons tongue pick up multiple crickets at once only to drop one and eat the other.
2. They get bounced out by the impact from the chameleons striking tongue.
3. They climb up on each other and the lucky one on top can reach the edge.
4. Some get startled and jump horizontally out.

The above are uncontrollable and having a few escaping crickets are fine, giving a chameleon the chance to hunt them down. My problem with the feeder cup is that large adult crickets can crawl out and that is unacceptable to me because I know if I change the design it would fix that problem.

I also have a few new ideas and building methods to improve them. I was even thinking about adding a bell, so it would jingle and let you know when your chameleon is eating.

Again thanks everyone and I will keep you posted on the progress.

I can't acsess the forums on my main computer so it is hard for me to post anything and send out replies. I don't know why, but it seems my IP address is blocked from getting on this web site. Is anyone else having problems?

Like the other have said don't beat yourself up I think they are very nice and we all new what we were getting when we asked for them and the price was right. I think if you make it bigger you should be fine thanks again

Here is another DIY feeder cup made from a forum member. Great thread with more info on how to make one.https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-diy-feeder-cup-138734/

Thanks eat2muchrice. It was your's and Nick Barta's recent creations that got my wheels turning. Once my mind starts going on creative stuff like this, it don't stop until I do a little weekend project.

BTW, I also don't think you should beat yourself up on the periodic cricket escapee. I do see a few out and about every once in awhile. I think some of it is actually our fault by putting to many in there for a typical feeding. I now am trying to a couple of feedings a day with 4 or 5 at a time, instead of dumping a full dozen in there all at once. :cool:

I love my new feeder. I tried it with my blue panther chameleon for a day and he didn't seem too interested. (I rarely see him eat anyways!) So I put it in my female panther chameleons cage with superworms in the cup. Worked great. She went straight for them. No more loose superworms at the bottom of her cage! :D

A small dubia roach was able to squeeze behind the screen part. Another thing, the loose magnet doesn't seem to like to stick to the magnet glued to the cup like its trying to force away from it, is this normal? Luckily for me I don't have any adult crickets to escape.

Anyway, it's really nice and I hope to get another one ! :D

I have the same style feeder cup and sometimes crickets do jump out. It seems inevitable that some will. In any case the escapees always climb to the heat light at the top of the cage and get picked off st some point during the day.

Hey everyone, I’ve had problems getting on the forums but with the help from Brad I’m back online. This week I will order and pick up supplies to start the new batch.

I think these are good for small crickets. They are working well for me. I'll try one on medium crickets. I don't think that you will have no escapees unless you pull off the jumping legs. :eek:

If you want to make one that contains large crickets, I think you would need a larger size tube, like rain gutter downspout.

I'm having great success with medium crickets. I want to keep the feeder cups as small as possible to keep them less intrusive looking in the enclosure, so my goal is to minimize size while keeping them functional.

I also had a magnet pull the backing off. It did take some paint off so I glued it back on with epoxy right to the plastic. Maybe you could glue the backing on first then paint over it with out affecting the magnetic attraction.

That is one of the idea’s I’m thinking about to fix the problem. Thanks for the feedback and I WILL improve the design.

Like the other have said don't beat yourself up I think they are very nice and we all new what we were getting when we asked for them and the price was right. I think if you make it bigger you should be fine thanks again

Thanks, I really want to make something to be proud of. The next batch will be longer and the opening will have higher sides, the walls will be about 1/4in - 1/2 in taller.

I love my new feeder. I tried it with my blue panther chameleon for a day and he didn't seem too interested. (I rarely see him eat anyways!) So I put it in my female panther chameleons cage with superworms in the cup. Worked great. She went straight for them. No more loose superworms at the bottom of her cage! :D

A small dubia roach was able to squeeze behind the screen part. Another thing, the loose magnet doesn't seem to like to stick to the magnet glued to the cup like its trying to force away from it, is this normal? Luckily for me I don't have any adult crickets to escape.

Anyway, it's really nice and I hope to get another one ! :D

I’m so glad to hear you like the feeder cups and thanks for letting me know it works with super worms. As for your blue bar, give him/her a couple days to get used to having the cup inside the cage, when they get hungry they will learn very quickly where to get food. It took my Veil a day to adjust to a new different looking feeder cup, but is eating out of it just fine now.

Use some crafting foam to prevent small bugs getting behind the ladder. If you need some let me know and I’ll mail it out. I like the idea of using foam because it will cushion the impact on your chameleons tongue. Thanks for letting me know and incorporate that into the new batches.

I have the same style feeder cup and sometimes crickets do jump out. It seems inevitable that some will. In any case the escapees always climb to the heat light at the top of the cage and get picked off st some point during the day.

I think a few escapees’ is a good thing, giving them something to hunt. One morning the weirdest thing happened, I found a roach inside the feeder cup. He must have been loose in the cage for over a week and climbed his way back into the cup.

I agree! Right now I'm still feeding medium crickets so this does the job. The escapees just keep him active.

Sorry for the lack of updates, having computer problems and currently shopping for a good replacement. I have already ordered the parts for the new batch of feeder cups and should start working on them this weekend.

thanks for keeping us updated. The cork bark feeder cup looks cool. I finally got my new cage set up for my 9 m.o. Nosy Be. Can't wait for one them cool feeder cups so he can find his food more easily. Keep up the good work

Back
Top Bottom