Dark Black Facial Outline

Barlisk84

Chameleon Info:
My Chameleon - is a four month old male veiled that I've owned for about a month now.
Handling - I take him out daily for 10 to 20 minutes at a time, if he feels like it. Sometimes he will shy away from me and refuse contact so I leave him be, no signs of stress, just runs away from me.
Feeding - He gets two meals a day, in the morning and late afternoon. Each meal consist of 4 small crickets cup fed at the top of the enclosure, and 3 meal worms also cup fed at the bottom of the enclosure. Gut loaded with fruits and vegetables.
Supplements - I dust calcium Monday through Friday, calcium with D3 for two Saturdays of the month and multivitamin for the other two Saturdays, no dusting on Sundays.
Watering - I only mist in the mornings to simulate dew, and in the afternoon to simulate rain. Otherwise I only mist if the humidity gets low. He does not drink off himself or leaves, he only drinks from the dripper tip. He has two drippers that run all day. One at the top running 2 drips a second and one on the bottom running 1 drip a second. I use Reptisafe water conditioner as directed.
Fecal Description - His poops are a deep brown/black with one end being white. They are about as firm as Play Doh putty. Sometimes they will have a watery mix surrounding the poop. (but that might be from misting, I can't really tell)
History - He is a pet store rescue. I say rescue cause I have no faith that any pet store employee anywhere ever knows what the heck they're doing or talking about. Not around here anyways. Other than that I've had no issues with him.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - His enclosure is a 24'' x 24'' x 48'' Open Air screen enclosure. I have modified it down to a 24" x 24" x 30'' until he gets bigger.
Lighting - As of right now for day I've a 18" tube reptisun 5.0 and a Exo Terra 60w Sun-Glo Neodymium on for 10 hours a day for winter simulation. At night I've a 60w red heat bulb (brand escapes me). I've upgrades coming in the mail, this was a fast set up of a quick home for a little buddy in need.
Temperature - Daytime temps are 82-85 upper, 72-75 lower, and 89-92 basking. Nighttime temps are 72-75 upper, 62-65 lower, and 75 at the closest point to the heat bulb. I use an indoor outdoor digital hemostat/thermometer and a zoomed dial style gauge to monitor.
Humidity - Humidity stays at 55-60% day and night. I use an indoor outdoor digital hemostat/thermometer and a zoomed dial style gauge.
Plants - No live plants yet. Still trying to find a decent one he wont get lost in. (Winter time is coming fast here and no ones selling anything good). He is on fake plants with bendable branches so I can control his "walk ways" better.
Placement - The top of the cage is roughly at 6' and it is in a very very low traffic area next to no vents, doors, or other animals.
Location - Located in Central Iowa... :(

Current Problem - As you can see in the pictures... His head is outlined in a very dark black. I read through other similar posts and saw that they were told that it is from him not shedding that part of his body yet, also saw that some said it is from the lights being too close, and a few about bruising. He just shed about 3 days ago (I did not notice if he had indeed shed his head cause I was not home for it), My lights are 6'' or more away from him, and I've never seen him fall or bump/rub his head against anything. I can't use those post's answers to solve my own issue here cause none of them had pictures to compare to. And they were more or less describing theirs as "black spots" or "black patches" and were not limited to his head. Any help or direction would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 205
Those are just his colors :p Veiled's are known to get some darkness around their head and casque as they age.

Really? You sure? I've never seen them that dark before. That's like.. insanely dark to me. Its like I drew on eye brows for him with a sharpie. That's nuts.

Those seem like perfectly straight lines on his head to be a burn or scratch. I agree and saying they are just his colors :)

its normal coloring for veileds.

Also, your basking temp is way too hot for him.

I don't even keep my adult male veiled at temps that hot.

Lower the temp to around 86.

its normal coloring for veileds.

Also, your basking temp is way too hot for him.

I don't even keep my adult male veiled at temps that hot.

Lower the temp to around 86.

Ya, been raising the basking fixture a little at a time and the temp never seems to change.. I think i'll just try to find another bulb, or buy one. Cause its already about a foot and a half away from his highest basking spot.

Just use a lower watt bulb.

House bulbs are all you need, nothing fancy from a pet store that costs 5 times what a house hold bulb does.

just no coil bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom