Been dark for a while

plzhelp

I’ve had this chameleon for about a year and some months and have never had this problem but this past month he has been dark for at least 7 hours a day sometimes going black. I’ve noticed he isn’t climbing in the plant either just stands on his 2 basking sticks. When he gets under the heat bulb he gets black and stays there for a while. I don’t think it’s too hot but I could be wrong it’s a 75 watt bulb about 11-12 inches away from basking stick. When I take him out of the cage which I do for at least 30 minutes a day or feed him he goes all bright and blue what do you guys think the problem is he looks depressed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0609.jpeg
    IMG_0609.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 31
Hi. Usually chameleons will go dark when they are trying to absorb heat and/or uvb. What are your basking temps? When was the last time you changed your uvb bulb?

I’ve had this chameleon for about a year and some months and have never had this problem but this past month he has been dark for at least 7 hours a day sometimes going black. I’ve noticed he isn’t climbing in the plant either just stands on his 2 basking sticks. When he gets under the heat bulb he gets black and stays there for a while. I don’t think it’s too hot but I could be wrong it’s a 75 watt bulb about 11-12 inches away from basking stick. When I take him out of the cage which I do for at least 30 minutes a day or feed him he goes all bright and blue what do you guys think the problem is he looks depressed.
He is so, so pretty. Is this guy an ambanja?

If he’s sitting on his basking branch for the biggest portion of the day with dark colors, he’s likely trying to get warmer. My chams do this a lot more as the temperatures drop and the weather becomes colder. Cooler nights in the fall also means they usually spend more time the following day basking. I’ve got central air/heat which helps bring ambient temps up when it’s cold, but it is something I notice more in the fall and winter time. I’ve also noticed my chameleons basking more when there is a health issue that needs to be addressed. Can you post a picture of the affected eye? And possibly fill out the following?

My Chameleon:
Handling -
Feeding -
Supplements -
Watering -
Fecal Description - I haven’t examined feces too closely. Usually, a dark brown with white.
History - I just moved him about less than a week ago into a bigger enclosure with the same materials in the previous enclosure.

Cage Info:
Cage Type -
Lighting -
Temperature -
Humidity -
Plants -
Placement -
Location -

Current Problem:

He is so, so pretty. Is this guy an ambanja?

If he’s sitting on his basking branch for the biggest portion of the day with dark colors, he’s likely trying to get warmer. My chams do this a lot more as the temperatures drop and the weather becomes colder. Cooler nights in the fall also means they usually spend more time the following day basking. I’ve got central air/heat which helps bring ambient temps up when it’s cold, but it is something I notice more in the fall and winter time. I’ve also noticed my chameleons basking more when there is a health issue that needs to be addressed. Can you post a picture of the affected eye? And possibly fill out the following?

My Chameleon:
Handling - about an hour everyday
Feeding - been feeding a little less due to gout signs about every other other day
Supplements - calcium without d3 every feeding and calcium plus lod twice a month starting when he was a year old
Watering - I spray for like a minute at least 2 or 3 times a day
Fecal Description - I believe his fecal looks good
History - he used to close his eye a lot (alternates) but he’s been getting better after I started using calcium plus lod like 4-5 months ago

Cage Info: 48x28
Lighting - 75 watt heat bulb 11-12 inches from stick and uvb 5.0 bulb about 9-10 inches from stick
Temperature -
Humidity -
Plants - umbrella plant
Placement -
Location - florida

Current Problem: bump on eye and puffy around eyes
Yes he is an ambanja and It’s very hard to get a picture that shows exactly how it looks but this is a decent one I will fill out above

Attachments

• IMG_2662.png
    IMG_2662.png
    403.6 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 37
No but I probly should do that, what other symptoms would he have if he had parasites. Also it looks like that bump on his eye has already gone away some how
That’s good. Maybe he had something stuck in his eye that was bothering him.

I’m not super familiar with lots of parasites. I know runny smelly poop is a symptom but some parasites can also affect behaviors as well.

If others on here say his darker colors ar normal go with that but to me his colors look pretty dark and if his temps are correct then that would personally be my next move.

Do you have a thermometer with a probe for the basking area? I'm worried his basking area may be too hot. It shouldn't really be above 80-85 at the absolute max. If that ambient temp gauge is reading 88 by the basking, it's almost certainly too warm.

That being said, he wouldn't be dark from being too cold if that's the case. I'd definitely say you should get a vet to check on him, or at least do a fecal, and fill out the husbandry form so we can make sure there's nothing that you've missed. :)

Back
Top Bottom